A pilot has been indicted for allegedly threatening to shoot the captain if the flight was diverted

Getting out of speeding tickets?

Yeah a couple guys I’ve learned about were flashing them to cops on traffic stops and one even pulled over a car that was driving recklessly.

I think the program started with good intentions but if we keep it, we need more of a science-based evaluation of not only WHO is in the program, who wants to go in and evaluate “why”.

I know reasonable FDDOs. I also know a particular person I would have told to leave his weapon secured on the ground or we wouldn’t be flying together.

A one week course of shooting stuff, here’s a badge, congrats you’re a FFDO. What could possibly go wrong? All of one week. Expert level marksman and decision making. Yeah, I have my doubts.

My question is, have these people ever thought about the non-armed pilot?

“You fly, I defend!”

Bro. Every range I’ve ever been to has required eye and ear protection. I’m assuming for liability purposes, FFDO training is the same. So you defend and fire off rounds, and I fly? Are we just gonna assume I actually have hearing left after you pop off a couple rounds just 18 inches from my ear? In a small enclosed environment where sound waves reverberate?

A one week course of shooting stuff, here’s a badge, congrats you’re a FFDO. What could possibly go wrong? All of one week. Expert level marksman and decision making. Yeah, I have my doubts.

My question is, have these people ever thought about the non-armed pilot?

“You fly, I defend!”

Bro. Every range I’ve ever been to has required eye and ear protection. I’m assuming for liability purposes, FFDO training is the same. So you defend and fire off rounds, and I fly? Are we just gonna assume I actually have hearing left after you pop off a couple rounds just 18 inches from my ear? In a small enclosed environment where sound waves reverberate?

Joke's on you, I don't have any hearing left anyway.

Get out. Really? Was it the “LoL mY yOkE is MoRe dAnGeRoUs ThAn AnY fIrEaRm” argument?
It was during Covid, maybe under the guise of "streamlining" things??

On second thought, guys like the Florida man trying to pull people over made it through that eval

That being said, I wouldn't fault someone for doing it for one of the other perks that comes along with it (not sure if I can mention what, I don't want to go to SSI prison :) )

You mean an all expense paid trip to beautiful and luxurious southeast New Mexico at Artesia?

Concealed? PERMIT? Not in Kentucky! *spits in hand*

Maybe a year ago I shared some liquor-store-space with a pretty-obvious tweaker who was wearing a wife-beater, cargo-shorts, flip-flops, and a lanyard around his neck holding some kind of off-brand autoloading pistol. $100 says it was a Hi-Point. Murca!
Dont forget prison tattoos.

Only one made me wonder about him and he gave me a whole detailed briefing about what he was going to do with his gun should the need arise and made sure to tell me that my safety meant nothing to him and that I'd better stay out of his way.
I was on the jump seat on my own company several years ago. Usual BS chatting as the last few people board. The Captain then mentions that they are both FFDOs. Okay good to know. Then this nutjob briefs what to do if someone tries and gets access to the flight deck. You think he was describing a shootout scene from the Mateix. “I’m gonna shoot then unload my mag, then you(FO) start shooting while I reload.”
Dude, as soon as the Xbox 1 came out with that stupid a** controller, I was out of the "game" (of video games). That was a long time before I was in my 40s.
I don’t know what happened. One day I was playing consistently then I suddenly became the middle aged guy who needed to be put out to pasture. These 10-14 button controllers had me confused. A few years ago one of sons asked me to try play a few games with him. I was so lost. Call of Duty and Fortnite were moving so fast that my feeble brain couldn’t comprehend what was going on.

If it comes down to the door being open with multiple psychos with box cutters coming into the cockpit to dissect me and mr FFDO blasting a few rounds off resulting in me being deaf, or them actually being able to reach me but I retain my hearing? I’m going for the first option every day. I doubt one hears much decapitated.

If it comes down to the door being open with multiple psychos with box cutters coming into the cockpit to dissect me and mr FFDO blasting a few rounds off resulting in me being deaf, or them actually being able to reach me but I retain my hearing? I’m going for the first option every day. I doubt one hears much decapitated.
download.jpeg

Concealed? PERMIT? Not in Kentucky! *spits in hand*

Maybe a year ago I shared some liquor-store-space with a pretty-obvious tweaker who was wearing a wife-beater, cargo-shorts, flip-flops, and a lanyard around his neck holding some kind of off-brand autoloading pistol. $100 says it was a Hi-Point. Murca!

That was you? You should have said hello! I’m friendlier than I look.

Sigh. I had one of those. Loved it. Unfortunately, mine had the clip in piece at the bottom which my toddler got a hood of and promptly hid it in a pocket dimension or something. None of the other 17 clippy lanyards I had would fit. So no pretty colors for me.
Membership at alpa dot org.

“I’m gonna shoot then unload my mag, then you(FO) start shooting while I reload.”

That is a legitimate nutcase.

My big problem too is that a lot of them are hard to communicate with when they are like that. They won't brief a runway change coming into SFO because the "likelihood of that happening is slim" yet they barf up 10 minutes of made-up, mythical combat scenarios in the cockpit...

One of my first trips off IOE at my previous carrier, I only found out on day 2 (the return flight to HNL) that the captain was carrying.

My big problem too is that a lot of them are hard to communicate with when they are like that. They won't brief a runway change coming into SFO because the "likelihood of that happening is slim" yet they barf up 10 minutes of made-up, mythical combat scenarios in the cockpit...
Airplane stuff has to still come first.

"If you're done playing with yourself, please start at least one engine so I can taxi."

I was on the jump seat on my own company several years ago. Usual BS chatting as the last few people board. The Captain then mentions that they are both FFDOs. Okay good to know. Then this nutjob briefs what to do if someone tries and gets access to the flight deck. You think he was describing a shootout scene from the Mateix. “I’m gonna shoot then unload my mag, then you(FO) start shooting while I reload.”
“…and then we can finish each other off with hand stuff.”

Has no-one seen Goldfinger?

Back