A pilot has been indicted for allegedly threatening to shoot the captain if the flight was diverted

Ian_J

Hubschrauber Flieger

A pilot has been indicted for allegedly threatening to shoot the plane's captain if the captain diverted the flight because of a passenger who needed medical attention.
A grand jury in Utah issued the indictment against Jonathan J. Dunn on Oct. 18 over an incident that happened in August 2022, charging him with interference with a flight crew, according to federal court records.

The Transportation Department's inspector general's office said in an email sent Tuesday that Dunn was the first officer, or co-pilot, on the flight and was authorized to carry a gun under a program run by the Transportation Security Administration.

Ok, but true story, if someone in the FD threatens to shoot me I will consider them a mortal threat (and a threat to the safety of flight) until they are neutralized, and will use any means and methods at my disposal to do so.

AITA?

I'll agree. But he's the one with the gun. Could get ugly, quick.

After the mental breakdown incident and now this threat by a FFDO, I'm far more concerned about an insider attack than I am an actual terrorist attack.

Ok, but true story, if someone in the FD threatens to shoot me I will consider them a mortal threat (and a threat to the safety of flight) until they are neutralized, and will use any means and methods at my disposal to do so.

AITA?
No, that’s reasonable, but what can you do?

captainphillips-barkhad.gif

Sounds like a hijacking to me. Throw the book at them. And then start the psych evals with the guys empowered to carry in the flight deck and then work the way through the rest of the roster.

This happened August of ‘22 but is only breaking news now afaik

First!

And where did you find out it was delta?

Oh FFDOs……

A little more serious than flashing the badge, being “on duty”, and needing that sweet first responder discount at chik fil a.

FFDO jurisdiction is going to go from 15 square feet, plus or minus, to zero, if these kinds of things occur.

To date, the FFDO program has successfully prevented a U.S. Airways Airbus from operating a flight 15 years ago; their only intervention….aside from now preventing a diversion :)

Oh FFDOs……

A little more serious than flashing the badge, being “on duty”, and needing that sweet first responder discount at chik fil a.

FFDO jurisdiction is going to go from 15 square feet, plus or minus, to zero, if these kinds of things occur.

To date, the FFDO program has successfully prevented a U.S. Airways Airbus from operating a flight 15 years ago; their only intervention….aside from now preventing a diversion :)
I don’t even remember the story on that one.

1698807231105.png

CHARLOTTE, N.C. [March 2008] The pilot of a US Airways [A319] may have mishandled a firearm that went off in flight, piercing a hole in the cockpit wall, a federal air marshal said Tuesday.”This is an extremely safe and reliable weapon,” said Greg Alter of the Federal Air Marshal Service. “It’s not going to discharge on its own, is the bottom line.”The pistol a .40-caliber semiautomatic H&K USP discharged Saturday aboard Flight 1536 from Denver to Charlotte, as the plane was approaching to land. Photos obtained by The Associated Press show a small entry hole in the lower side of the cockpit wall and a small exit hole on the exterior below the cockpit window.

(It pains me endlessly that I cannot say which aircraft if was.)

Back