A pilot has been indicted for allegedly threatening to shoot the captain if the flight was diverted

Even with the recent incident at AS, I have had two FFDOs gloat about how they would have handled the situation so differently, even though the outcome was successful. I enjoy guns and own several but the nut cases that sign up for the program seem to get off on the idea of being an action hero.
Hopefully they brought extra pants after they jizzed in them.

Another reason I can't stand the FFDO program.
Is it the program or the individuals that’s a part of the program? I had one guy almost take us off roading in the 75 trying to holster his piece. That’s not even the tip of the iceberg. If something was to go down I was sure I would’ve gotten hurt or he would’ve hurt himself before he got the suspect.

Is it the program or the individuals that’s a part of the program? I had one guy almost take us off roading in the 75 trying to holster his piece. That’s not even the tip of the iceberg. If something was to go down I was sure I would’ve gotten hurt or he would’ve hurt himself before he got the suspect.

It's both. I am not equating the FFDO program to the KKK, but the KKK doesn't attract reasonable, compassionate, empathetic people who love everyone equally if you know what I'm saying...

The FFDO program is proven to be absolutely irrelevant to commercial airline security. it is grossly unsuccessful, and it seems to attract mostly weirdos who get off on the idea of killing somebody in the name of freedumbs...

FFDO training from what I hear is quite good, however, exactly zero FFDOs are really trained and proficient in pulling their gun out in a cramped cockpit, and successfully taking down an assailant. Most reasonable people can think about sitting in either the left or right seat, having a jumpseater or other crewmember get the jump on you, then thinking about the likelihood of you being able to draw your piece and shooting them while not crashing the airplane. It is a truly unique and insane notion and when assessing the risk versus reward, there is no way it ends up the way most looney toon FFDOs think it will.

Is it the program or the individuals that’s a part of the program? I had one guy almost take us off roading in the 75 trying to holster his piece.

Why the heck did he have his gun out while the plane was moving unless there was someone trying to bash the door in?

The previous AS buzz before the most recent, was a crew getting into it and returning to the gate in IAD, maybe 6-9 months ago?

That CA has had problems in the past. He was on an ETOPS trip where he and the FO got into some passive-aggressive argument. The CA, an FFDO at the time, proceeded to pull a knife (yes a knife) out and put it on the glareshield, and made some comment about having the final decision in the cockpit. He was reprimanded for it but I believe he was able to keep his FFDO. Pretty scary IMHO.

Crazy. Is this the same guy that owns Emerald coast? Same name at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are two different aviation companies named "Emeral Coast". One is the interview prep company. The other is an FBO at CEW and fuel contractor at VPS. That company is owned by a guy named Jonathan Dunn, but most definitely it is a coincidence that the lunatic pilot has the same name. Although the former guy is also kinda cray cray.

We definitely have some real weirdos in this industry that struggle with basic communications.

My last trip as an FO (so like 18 months ago), I was paired with a captain that I’d never met before. From the first minute, he just wouldn’t shut up about face masks and vaccines.

I politely told him I do not want to talk about any of that stuff, and can we please just talk about something else? He continued on about it, and I asked him again to please stop as I don’t agree with any of his comments.

He then said “I’m the captain, we will talk about whatever I want!” Fortunately we were still on the shuttle to the aircraft, and I responded with “Ok, that’s not how this works. I am going to call the duty officer and get off this trip since that’s how you feel”.

He was real quiet for a few minutes, and apparently he started thinking about the consequences of his behavior. He apologized and was very respectful the rest of the trip.

But still, that is just such a crazy situation and I couldn’t believe it happened. I don’t know how some of these guys get to be this way, but I sure hope it never happens to me. I just can’t even imagine how terrible I would feel if a flight crew (or anyone else for that matter!) told me that I was offending with my discussion and to please stop.

We definitely have some real weirdos in this industry that struggle with basic communications.

My last trip as an FO (so like 18 months ago), I was paired with a captain that I’d never met before. From the first minute, he just wouldn’t shut up about face masks and vaccines.

I politely told him I do not want to talk about any of that stuff, and can we please just talk about something else? He continued on about it, and I asked him again to please stop as I don’t agree with any of his comments.

He then said “I’m the captain, we will talk about whatever I want!” Fortunately we were still on the shuttle to the aircraft, and I responded with “Ok, that’s not how this works. I am going to call the duty officer and get off this trip since that’s how you feel”.

He was real quiet for a few minutes, and apparently he started thinking about the consequences of his behavior. He apologized and was very respectful the rest of the trip.

But still, that is just such a crazy situation and I couldn’t believe it happened. I don’t know how some of these guys get to be this way, but I sure hope it never happens to me. I just can’t even imagine how terrible I would feel if a flight crew (or anyone else for that matter!) told me that I was offending with my discussion and to please stop.
I’m glad you put your foot down. No one wants to be “talked at” for an entire trip. I’ve flown with some guys that aren’t bad then they open their mouth about masks, etc. surprisingly a lot of California guys are the most vocal about it, or were when mask mandates were still a thing. I’d always start with, “have you considered moving?”. Then comes the excuses :rolleyes:. I always wonder what these individuals talk about with their significant others at home.

Even with the recent incident at AS, I have had two FFDOs gloat about how they would have handled the situation so differently, even though the outcome was successful. I enjoy guns and own several but the nut cases that sign up for the program seem to get off on the idea of being an action hero.

Same. I’m pro 2A and own guns, but the FFDO program just seems like a liability I don’t want to be a part of.

I had a guy like that on my last FO trip that was just like that (during COVID). Unfortunately, I was sitting in the airplane when he wheeled his bag on and the first thing he said out of his mouth to me was "are you an F'ing muzzle wearer?" Keep in mind he saw my face and I didn't have a mask on. In hind sight I should have wheeled my bag off the second he said that. The next two legs were absolute misery and he basically forced me as a captive audience for all his Fox News headline regurgitation. I mean he hit all the high points. Refugees, all gender bathrooms, abortion, COVID etc. Finally, I told him that I asked him to stop several times, and since he didn't, I was calling the FODO. It made him worse of course, but he was pulled from the trip and I was later called by pro standards and was told that he is a repeat offender.

I don't get people like that....

I had a guy like that on my last FO trip that was just like that (during COVID). Unfortunately, I was sitting in the airplane when he wheeled his bag on and the first thing he said out of his mouth to me was "are you an F'ing muzzle wearer?" Keep in mind he saw my face and I didn't have a mask on. In hind sight I should have wheeled my bag off the second he said that. The next two legs were absolute misery and he basically forced me as a captive audience for all his Fox News headline regurgitation. I mean he hit all the high points. Refugees, all gender bathrooms, abortion, COVID etc. Finally, I told him that I asked him to stop several times, and since he didn't, I was calling the FODO. It made him worse of course, but he was pulled from the trip and I was later called by pro standards and was told that he is a repeat offender.

I don't get people like that....
Unfortunately until the company ends up with egg on their face nothing happens to folks like that. At least that what it seems like. I’ve sat in crew rooms and watched guys joke about possibly being called by pro stands. People will continue to do whatever you allow them to get away with.

Why the heck did he have his gun out while the plane was moving unless there was someone trying to bash the door in?
What door? The JS’ers sit in the flight deck on the 75 & 76. Quite frankly, on the 76 &75 the JS’ers have a massive advantage over the flight crew as they sit right behind them and unless we hear rustling or an odd noise, we don’t turn around.

Could be the same guy. We ended up on a closed taxiway. He was insistent about grabbing his firearm from his flight bag to holster it. It was just the two of us in the flight deck.

Back