757 A/T failure

I took it as they didn't care where the particular mountain was, because they had no way to know the name. But they absolutely know where the terrain is.

I agree! One day the airlines/FAA will wise up to synthetic vision and let them be put into airliners.

Global 5000 Flight Deck

Screenshot_20241025_213229.jpg

Airbus A220 Flight Deck

Screenshot_20241025_213317.jpg

Synthetic vision is nice. Especially for we who operate in and around the terrain. A definite nice-to-have.

It's technically is only s situational tool and not supposed to be used for navigation, but it can definitely be used to get you out of a pinch in places that you're unfamiliar.

It's technically is only s situational tool and not supposed to be used for navigation, but it can definitely be used to get you out of a pinch in places that you're unfamiliar.

Agreed. A great tool to have indeed for just that reason. For us additionally, definitely helps at night if NVGs ever fail, giving general terrain and obstruction SA for proceeding night unaided. Not sure why it’s not more widely adopted yet.

Agreed. A great tool to have indeed for just that reason. For us additionally, definitely helps at night if NVGs ever fail, giving general terrain and obstruction SA for proceeding night unaided. Not sure why it’s not more widely adopted yet.
$$$$$

Some time ago during a recurrent in the sim after all of the "serious" portion of a particular finished, I played around with an approach into Aspen. Rather than fly the published missed. I flew up the valley and to far end of the runway. I did a slight right turn to get a bit if space and then a hard left turn all the way around all by reference to synthetic vision. It is a very good tool for situational awareness.

I don't think anybody is saying that. What people are is saying they don't know the names of the hills around them. At least one person should have terrain up at all times while on arrival and descent. That'll give you a better picture, and quicker than looking at the arrival or departure pages.
…yeah.

Mt Diablo is not SLC either guys…

Think this is quite the overreaction to a problem that never even came up…

I miss my synthetic vision. Other than a few months before we got it in the Lears, the 73 is the first thing I’ve flown in like 12 years that didn’t have it. Oh and BTW for @ppragman and @Capt. Chaos the Chelton is still the best for hand flying and avoiding terrain that I’ve used.

Some time ago during a recurrent in the sim after all of the "serious" portion of a particular finished, I played around with an approach into Aspen. Rather than fly the published missed. I flew up the valley and to far end of the runway. I did a slight right turn to get a bit if space and then a hard left turn all the way around all by reference to synthetic vision. It is a very good tool for situational awareness.

The degree of fidelity the current systems have, such as our G500H in our birds. In both terrain as well as obstructions, is very impressive. Am wondering if we will get to the point where a synthetic vision equipped aircraft will no longer have to fly a missed approach for visibility when the pilot has visual with the runway in the synthetic. Right now, can continue to 100 above the TDZE, but must fly natural vision from there. Be cool to be able to take it to the runway itself.

…yeah.

Mt Diablo is not SLC either guys…

Think this is quite the overreaction to a problem that never even came up…

The point brought up was, “are you terrain aware when working an EP?” My answer was, you’d better be. Not by name necessarily, but by general geography. But it seems that was being taken into account. So, good. Either way, it’s all cleared up.

My knowledge of Mt. Diablo and SUNOL is because I used to instruct out there.

But someone has to recognize the need to have terrain up when drilling around at night working on a problem.

This could have easily been this generation’s “Eastern 401” where a very minor problem became a, well, appreciably bigger one.

Back