757 A/T failure

I can simultaneously:
- not have a problem with what they did, while
- having a problem with how it was accomplished.
True, sadly a lot of the talk went deeper into point one than was necessary. Hence the reason why I wouldn't want a ton of people from this thread as a rep. Last thing I want is a rep that questions my flying skills when the issue was something else completely.

Make the criticism accurate.

Someone can correct me if they’d like, but my understanding has been that signing fit for duty is an acknowledgement that you’re able to complete the entire flight, regardless of any emergent conditions that may occur. Even if you’ve had a crappy day up till that point.

Not like you can tap out as fatigued if the fire light starts hollering.

Your fitness for duty can be revoked. The idea that once you sign the FFD release that you're bound by the laws of physics to finish that flight to the intended destination is insanity. I commonly sign my FFD an hour prior to pushback, and a whole lot of things can happen between that point and when we actually get off the gate, which could be a lot of hours later. At that point you call out fatigued, which revokes that original certification.

Hell you can validate a release, sign it, and then realize something is wrong on it, and revoke your original certification. You're not forced to complete the flight against regulations because you realized an MEL wasn't on the release when it should have been.

Someone can correct me if they’d like, but my understanding has been that signing fit for duty is an acknowledgement that you’re able to complete the entire flight, regardless of any emergent conditions that may occur. Even if you’ve had a crappy day up till that point.

Not like you can tap out as fatigued if the fire light starts hollering.
According to the crew they took a pretty lengthy delay in SFO. And like mentioned above, signing that doesn’t mean you’re bound to not call fatigued on that same flight.
I mean that’s not how fatigue works.

True, sadly a lot of the talk went deeper into point one than was necessary. Hence the reason why I wouldn't want a ton of people from this thread as a rep. Last thing I want is a rep that questions my flying skills when the issue was something else completely.

Make the criticism accurate.
For sure, and I’ve had a few “now that we have you squared away with the Company, let’s have a little talk about not doing THAT again, ever” with people I’ve represented too; not on anything like this per se, but on some other smaller profile bone-head maneuvers.

Actually the one thing that I couldn’t stand in that role was, oddly enough, the same thing every airline/Air Line I’ve ever worked for can’t tolerate either, and that was someone lying to me.

Happy to hear you’re out of the regionals. Legacy…major? Out of 121?

Thanks! I'm at ATI now. Probably should have posted a thread in Member Announcements about it, but I was paranoid about saying anything about it online before I got off probation, plus I know a lot of people on here (incorrectly) consider ATI a "scab airline" so I figured people would just get mad.

How about with the QRH out troubleshooting an issue? You checking out VFR landmarks?

UAL 2860, SLC, 1977, has just entered the chat here.

Seriously, the number of people advocating tooling around aimlessly in the dark working an issue, 100% clueless to the general terrain around and underneath them, is disconcerting, especially with no night vision equipment of any kind. I’m not saying you need to know the height of every mountain peak and hill to the damn foot; but some general awareness to where high terrain is, and/or awareness of sector MSAs, comes under the heading of having basic situational awareness.

UAL 2860, SLC, 1977, has just entered the chat here.

Seriously, the number of people advocating tooling around aimlessly in the dark working an issue, 100% clueless to the general terrain around and underneath them, is disconcerting, especially with no night vision equipment of any kind. I’m not saying you need to know the height of every mountain peak and hill to the damn foot; but some general awareness to where high terrain is, and/or awareness of sector MSAs, comes under the heading of having basic situational awareness.
I don't think anybody is saying that. What people are is saying they don't know the names of the hills around them. At least one person should have terrain up at all times while on arrival and descent. That'll give you a better picture, and quicker than looking at the arrival or departure pages.

Curiously, why?

In 2016, ABX Air pilots went on strike illegally. Supposedly, some ATI pilots flew struck work during that strike- I do not know for sure since it was long before I was hired; and people who were at ATI at the time have told me that as far as they know, we did not perform any struck work. But a number of people at ABX Air and other airlines consider ATI a "scab airline" to this day as a result. A few years ago some of them got mad at a member of this website when he went to ATI.

Even if ATI did carry struck cargo in 2016, I think the idea that any pilot who ever works at ATI afterward counts as a scab is absurd.

I don't think anybody is saying that. What people are is saying they don't know the names of the hills around them. At least one person should have terrain up at all times while on arrival and descent. That'll give you a better picture, and quicker than looking at the arrival or departure pages.

Absolutely, one side should have terrain displayed. I was interpreting that some were saying they had no idea what terrain was where geographically, and didn’t seem concerned either. Maybe that was comprehension on my part then.

Absolutely, one side should have terrain displayed. I was interpreting that some were saying they had no idea what terrain was where geographically, and didn’t seem concerned either. Maybe that was comprehension on my part then.
I took it as they didn't care where the particular mountain was, because they had no way to know the name. But they absolutely know where the terrain is.

In 2016, ABX Air pilots went on strike illegally. Supposedly, some ATI pilots flew struck work during that strike- I do not know for sure since it was long before I was hired; and people who were at ATI at the time have told me that as far as they know, we did not perform any struck work. But a number of people at ABX Air and other airlines consider ATI a "scab airline" to this day as a result. A few years ago some of them got mad at a member of this website when he went to ATI.

Even if ATI did carry struck cargo in 2016, I think the idea that any pilot who ever works at ATI afterward counts as a scab is absurd.

I remember that now. I also remember that the ABX/IBT action wasn’t an ALPA sanctioned strike under section 6; who were the reps of the ATI pilots; and the ATI pilots were told by the union to carry on as normal. ATI’s pilots didn’t do anything wrong by following the instructions of their union, and didn’t fly struck work. At best, the ABX pilots were holding an informational picket only.

Back