757 A/T failure

Isn't the terrain on the SID chart? Lol

Mount Diablo is a long ass way from SFO, relatively speaking, and largely irrelevant. Airline ops aren't typically big on area familiarity—just procedures that are intended to keep things safe regardless of familiarity. Sector altitudes, minimum safe altitudes, vectors to published segments, and so on.

This guy may work for a Major League Big Important AAA airline, but at the end of the day, we're all kinda the same rats in the same race, subject to the same pressures and capable of the same mistakes. He felt compromised, he ultimately arrived at a decision—one, I'll add, that's self-supporting. (If you find yourself "behind the power curve" on decisionmaking, it's a good indication that you're not where you want to be, and it's probably a good idea to get on the ground.)

I didn't listen. I don't have any interest in listening to what was likely assumed to be a somewhat private conversation between a crew and their company, and I have no interest on slagging on another crew. But I absolutely 100% guarantee that if you do this business long enough, you'll have had moments of diminished performance which, if trotted out in front of all of your peers, would be quite embarrassing. If you think not, perhaps you're not as self-aware as you think you are. After a year and a half of 3am reserve (equivalent to 11pm reserve for most people), I've definitely seen ways my own performance can deteriorate that I wouldn't expect.

Just culture requires collective participation; people who are "too cool" for it pose the biggest dangers.

Not really. All they would see is the MSA which is 5100'. I have no idea what/where Mt. Diablo is, nor would I unless i really had the time to study the area, which i wouldn't.
Easy to sit here and MMQB these guys at ground speed zero. Me thinks they made the right call coming back as their cognitive reasoning already seemed diminished. Rather them sound silly on a youtube video then kill a bunch of people.
(note to self, always call the company on Satcom)
((Also note to self if I ever end up in a deal, stay off the internet for awhile))

Isn’t OAK a hub for you guys? How do ya not know Mt Diablo. :)

Just look east

I didn't listen. I don't have any interest in listening to what was likely assumed to be a somewhat private conversation between a crew and their company, and I have no interest on slagging on another crew.
The way a lot of people in this thread have reacted to this makes me hope they aren't union reps (or CPs) The number one reason unions exist in aviation is so that safety is prioritized. People need to be allowed to error on the side of safety.

If you actually look at the reaction of non-pilots it seems to be positive. Why are pilots bashing on pilots for erroring on the side of safety? We are missing a bunch of details and the fatigue call could be 110% legit.

We are missing a bunch of details and the fatigue call could be 110% legit.

The Mx call was 110% legit, returning if he didn’t feel that taking the aircraft was safe for that long of a leg. That’s your call as a Capt. Why keep having to “shop around” for further reasons and justifications, especially one (fatigue) that isn’t happening right then as he was on the frequency, but the Mx issue was happening? Unless you are wishy washy in decision making in the first place. His Mx issue justification was fine, not sure why he started down some rabbit hole he didn’t need to start going down.

The Mx call was 110% legit, returning if he didn’t feel that taking the aircraft was safe for that long of a leg. That’s your call as a Capt. Why keep having to “shop around” for further reasons and justifications, especially one (fatigue) that isn’t happening right then as he was on the frequency, but the Mx issue was happening? Unless you are wishy washy in decision making in the first place. His justification was fine, not sure why he started down some rabbit hole he didn’t need to start going down.
If the critique is to be more assertive then that is all that needs to be said.

If the critique is to be more assertive then that is all that needs to be said.

You made a choice, stick to it. You only dig a hole for yourself when you start to try and vote by committee with unrelated persons, or try to have others validate your decisions. The decision was sound. Let dispatch know what you have, what you are doing if it can’t be fixed, and what you need now.

Has anyone heard of an inflight divert due to fatigue.....ever? I see many people defending this. Perhaps it's a brave new era we are embarking upon. Just want to confirm this Delta crew was the first (that anyone has ever heard of). Maybe this will be commonplace going forward. Who knows.

Has anyone heard of an inflight divert due to fatigue.....ever? I see many people defending this. Perhaps it's a brave new era we are embarking upon. Just want to confirm this Delta crew was the first (that anyone has ever heard of). Maybe this will be commonplace going forward. Who knows.
I haven't heard of it. Not necessarily "defending" it just pointing out none of us were in that cockpit. The only brave new era is the internet can now judge our every radio comm without context.

Story time, post 117 (July 2024):
I had three 14+ hour locals with min-rest overnights in base in a row, ~5am showtimes. Day four was another 5am show, with a deadhead SFO-ORD, three hours of RDY, then a 20 hour overnight with a ~18:00 local show that ended at midnight in OKC. I was excited to finally get some rest.

I got to sleep around 0400 chicago time (0200 base time) in preparation for my PM switch. Well, 04:30 my phone rang. I switched it to DND and flipped it over. CS kept calling until it rang through. (I have that set on since I'm perpetual AM reserve and don't want to miss a call for having it in the wrong mode)

NBD. I turned it to silent mode, rolled over and went back to sleep.

A few minutes later, the phone in my hotel room starts ringing. Groggy, I start digging around for a way to unplug it, but the I'm in one of the wedge rooms in the Hyatt Regency O'Hare, and the line is hard-wired to the phone, then goes behind a desk that's attached to the wall.

It keeps ringing. Annoyed, I finally answer it.

(Paraphrasing):
"Hi Captain, you have a 0630 show."
"No. I'm at rest, and rest must be prospective in nature."
"You had ten hours of rest, you're legal."
"I've only been asleep for half an hour. I didn't voluntarily answer the phone—you can't just war-dial my room. I'm at rest."
"It's legal."
"I want to speak to the crew time coordinator, right now."
"Ok, but she'll say the same thing."
TL;DR: She did. "You had 10 hours of rest, you're legal."
Asked to be forwarded to the MOD.
MOD, very salty: "Yeah, it's legal. You answered the phone."
"CS called me in my hotel room."
"You're in a hotel room <the company> PAYS FOR, of course we can call you." (Sarcastic, 'I hate pilots' voice, 'pays for' emphasized like I'm on vacation or something) "If you don't like it, unplug the phone next time.,"
"I can't unplug this phone. I've only had half an hour of sleep, and you interrupted my rest."
"(Something like "that sounds like a 'you' problem"). Are you saying you're fatigued?"
"Of course I'm fatigued."

My fatigue report was denied.

All the holes in 117 have been discovered and exploited at this point; 117 is a target, not a limit.
I’m continually amazed at how bad the work rules are at your shop. I know of at least one other regional that puts it to shame. I’m sure there’s probably others.

That can open a big can of worms. I don’t recommend that you do that. If you use the F word and something happens, well, you see where this is going.

Similar thing happened to me at Endeavor, only it was multiple mistakes on their part. Finally, I just told them I’m fatigued and I’ll be contactable in 10 hours. I woke up and they scheduled me a DH on a city pair that didn’t actually exist. I showed up on time and waited for the scheduled departure of the phantom flight, and then they put me back in the same hotel. I also filed two grievances and won them.
I see and understand what you are saying. I even agree with you that it could be turned back on you if there is an incident, but it happens frequently, and the company appreciates the heads up to cover the flying.

But if something goes wrong it will be the feds and not the company.

I’m continually amazed at how bad the work rules are at your shop. I know of at least one other regional that puts it to shame. I’m sure there’s probably others.

Same. Granted I left the regionals over a year ago so maybe things have worsened, but I never encountered anything like what🦈💜 describes, or heard of anything like that happening, when I was at C5.

There have often been the "haves" and the "have nots" here, but it's been way worse lately. We also have no ability to change our schedule, take vacation, drop trips or reserve days, or otherwise do anything other than work the 18 days we're scheduled to work. In my case, burnout is severe and I've been legitimately sick/exhausted a bunch, which has driven my reliability number down. No option for any sort of personal leave or anything, either. Basically, I just have to wait until this schedule causes me to have some major medical issue before I can get any time off, which is ... slightly demoralizing, to put it mildly.

This is definitely not unique to my airline, and not everyone at my airline is facing the same problems*. Lineholders have substantially more protections, but our reserve policies just feel punitive.

* That said, there are 20-30+ year lifer captains who are leaving early because they can't deal with this anymore, either, so it's not just juniors.

I was just there two nights ago. Show me Mt. Diablo labeled on a Jepp chart...
Some of us goto more than 3 places.

I only learned of it being based in flying into/outta San Fran at VX. Going eastbound on the Trukn departure. I would imagine if you operate into/out of OAK, you’re bound to have some FO remark about Mt Diablo.

Or not. Sorry, no refunds on JC.com

can’t fatigue be a developing condition that did not exist before they closed the door, similar to food poisoning?

Someone can correct me if they’d like, but my understanding has been that signing fit for duty is an acknowledgement that you’re able to complete the entire flight, regardless of any emergent conditions that may occur. Even if you’ve had a crappy day up till that point.

Not like you can tap out as fatigued if the fire light starts hollering.

Someone can correct me if they’d like, but my understanding has been that signing fit for duty is an acknowledgement that you’re able to complete the entire flight, regardless of any emergent conditions that may occur. Even if you’ve had a crappy day up till that point.

Not like you can tap out as fatigued if the fire light starts hollering.
Basically. It’s like you’re signing you are fit right now, and reasonably expected to be fit for the remaining expected flight block time.

I was just there two nights ago. Show me Mt. Diablo labeled on a Jepp chart...
Some of us goto more than 3 places.

IMG_6160.jpeg

That isn't a Jepp chart.

Funny story...

My very first student when I got to ATP Phoenix was a retired AA MD 11 captain who had come to get his CFI to teach his grandson to fly and had failed his oral over reading a vfr sectional. He hadn't seen one in 30+ years of commercial flying and didn't remember (or ever know) a lot of the symbology.

That isn't a Jepp chart.

Funny story...

My very first student when I got to ATP Phoenix was a retired AA MD 11 captain who had come to get his CFI to teach his grandson to fly and had failed his oral over reading a vfr sectional. He hadn't seen one in 30+ years of commercial flying and didn't remember (or ever know) a lot of the symbology.
I can certainly relate to his struggle...:ooh:

Back