250 knots below 10,000

pianokeys

MEL NO MUFFS
602.32 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall

• (a) operate an aircraft at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots if the aircraft is below 10,000 feet ASL; or
(3) If the minimum safe airspeed for the flight configuration of an aircraft is greater than the airspeed referred to in subsection (1), the aircraft shall be operated at the minimum safe airspeed.

what would happen if Transport Canada, or the FAA, or some other government check pilot, or even the company check pilot, was riding jump and saw it? Even if the aircraft is being operated above the min safe speed?

Was this in a terminal area? I ask because for awhile, some terminal areas here had a program awhile back where 250 below 10K was waived or something like that. The ATC guys here would know more about that.

Insofar as 250 below 10K, it was nothing I ever paid attention to in my fighter days, as a number of the jets I flew were waived under 117(d). Nowdays, I don't pay attention because I'll be lucky to be going faster than 2.5 miles/minute at any time.

Without naming names and pointing fingers (oopsie), IF you bust the 250 knot speed limit below 10,000, in any flavour of airspace, and you have a big wheel from either the government or airline on board, what can happen? Has anyone heard of anyone being caught (even by ATC) and if so, how much was their pee-pee slapped?

Same question from before:

"How did you know?"

Hell, I've done 300+ below 10,000 with approval from the controller.

Same question from before:

"How did you know?"

Hell, I've done 300+ below 10,000 with approval from the controller.

True, because even the 200 below 3000 (do you guys have that in the US, too?) can be busted with ATC approval. I've heard it on Calgary terminal before when they delete the speed restriction before noise abatement times.

But what if you don't have approval from the controller or are flying in say, class E airspace?

Without knowing anything about this situation, remember that in Canada you can also exceed 250 below 10 if you're on your way to an altitude above 10.

Was this in a terminal area? I ask because for awhile, some terminal areas here had a program awhile back where 250 below 10K was waived or something like that. The ATC guys here would know more about that.
That was the Houston Increased Speed Departure Procedures. That test program was terminated January 1, 2004.

We do .95M in England below 10 all of the time transiting around. I think we were limited to 350 knots below 10k when transiting in the US.

We do .95M in England below 10 all of the time transiting around. I think we were limited to 350 knots below 10k when transiting in the US.

Oh BS. 350, tree-schmifty.

If you aren't coming up initial at 500+, you're wrong.

I mean, even the 117 could do it

:D

We actually got to do 500' / 500 knot initials with the F-4s in Greece.

Away from home, they prefer the vertical break……..10-50' AGL until the numbers, then break up to pattern altitude. Between that, and the Marines doing the combat break, our "carrier" breaks probably looked like the space shuttle pattern (i.e. the Air Force :) )

Back