250 knots below 10,000

With a medical emergency on board, we're doin' it!
tumblr_m5tppnGY7I1qlvwnco1_r1_400.gif

Away from home, they prefer the vertical break……..10-50' AGL until the numbers, then break up to pattern altitude. Between that, and the Marines doing the combat break, our "carrier" breaks probably looked like the space shuttle pattern (i.e. the Air Force :) )

From the close of Vietnam forward, the number of aircraft losses due to pattern ass-hattery far eclipses the number of combat losses that such tactics were designed to mitigate.

I've had some guys, particularly heavily loaded heavies, ask for faster than 250 below 10 for performance and this is approved without question. I've had other guys indicating 50kts faster than everyone else and when j ask their speed they say "250" and I'm like "yeah, right" (usually notice their speed matches up with everyone else soon after lol) but as for am I going to bust you for it, never. If you're eating up the guy in front I'll just assign you 210 or something. Same with below the bravo. I'll descend you below the bravo with a "keep your speed up for now" if I need to make the gap.

I've heard old NWA 747's tell ground or tower that they won't be able to make the 10dme crossing restriction or 250 below 10,000 in DTW.

From the close of Vietnam forward, the number of aircraft losses due to pattern ass-hattery far eclipses the number of combat losses that such tactics were designed to mitigate.

Hook, that was about the time I began my military flying and I cannot recall one. I do remember WSO's whining though when I pulled a few G's in pattern. :)

I've had some guys, particularly heavily loaded heavies, ask for faster than 250 below 10 for performance and this is approved without question. I've had other guys indicating 50kts faster than everyone else and when j ask their speed they say "250" and I'm like "yeah, right" (usually notice their speed matches up with everyone else soon after lol) but as for am I going to bust you for it, never. If you're eating up the guy in front I'll just assign you 210 or something. Same with below the bravo. I'll descend you below the bravo with a "keep your speed up for now" if I need to make the gap.

Folks were getting busted left and right flying out if TEB for doing 200 below the class bravo.

No they were getting busted for setting off the noise sensors around the airport, not for doing over 200 below the bravo.

I've heard it was for speed.

On a side note,
I've never been a fan of noise abatement procedures that are imposed on satellite airports. Shortly after takeoff, I have to pull the power way back and lower the nose. So low speed-low altitude situation. It's could be an absolute disaster if an engine failed at that point.

On a side note,
I've never been a fan of noise abatement procedures that are imposed on satellite airports. Shortly after takeoff, I have to pull the power way back and lower the nose. So low speed-low altitude situation. It's could be an absolute disaster if an engine failed at that point.
I believe the SID off TEB 19 has a speed restriction in order to make the turn and for noise abatement, so if it was for speed it was probably cause they blew the turn and conflicted with EWR 22 final and/or set off the sensors. Lot of rich folk live around TEB. You set off those sensors 3 times and your banned for a year.

On a side note,

Isn't all noise abatement a "consistent with flight safety" kind of thing? Or at least should be?

I fully understand that some abatement procedures can get pretty draconian.

Sub paragraph D applies. When I am departing on a heavy MD-11 we accelerate to 289kts at 1,000 feet AGL after cleaning up. FAA has been onboard many times and observed it.

Greater than 250 below 10k is cool, if more than twelve miles offshore. Done it a hundred times, it is specifically mentioned in the FLL/MIA arrivals.

Maybe MikeD can verify, but I'm told that the F-5 is also a member of the +250 below 10k club for operational considerations.

The HPN departure also has a max speed for turning radius, probably sound too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greater than 250 below 10k is cool, if more than twelve miles offshore. Done it a hundred times, it is specifically mentioned in the FLL/MIA arrivals.

Maybe MikeD can verify, but I'm told that the F-5 is also a member of the +250 below 10k club for operational considerations.

The HPN departure also has a max speed for turning radius, probably sound too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of fighters are in the above 250 club. When I was Tyndall working F22's and F15's (plus whatever was in town) the only time you saw any of them below 250 was on final. Made for an interesting pattern

Folks were getting busted left and right flying out if TEB for doing 200 below the class bravo.

When? Never even heard of such a thing.

At XOJET we generally blazed through the area at 250 encouraged by ATC.

Also I did hear people get admonished by ATC for slowing to early.

IIRC the 200 below bravo applied when one descends from 4000 to 3000 on the west to east arrival....

After making all the crossing restrictions while being asked to slow or speed up +\- 100 knots of course.

LOL

Even a heavier MD-90 has a clean speed above 250.

When SLC changed the departure procedure speed restrictions because the CRJ's loved to fly below 250 in initial, it was havoc. Nothing like an extended climb burning gas with the slats out because they didn't sequence departure traffic appropriately (IMHO).

Back