121 guys, how does this happen? (AKA,Oh Delta)

Haha yeah, I love hearing heavy southern jets keep asking for the L until app/final asks if they are willing to hold......"uh no, we can take the right".

Landing on 35R/17L in SDF when very heavy in a 74-8 (say, I dunno, every ANC-SDF leg) is a bit puckering. Like, will the airplane do it? For sure, with room to spare, provided you get it in the TDZ and nothing goes wrong. That said, I will be a pest about asking whether they've opened up the long runway. Sorry not sorry.

Landing on 35R/17L in SDF when very heavy in a 74-8 (say, I dunno, every ANC-SDF leg) is a bit puckering. Like, will the airplane do it? For sure, with room to spare, provided you get it in the TDZ and nothing goes wrong. That said, I will be a pest about asking whether they've opened up the long runway. Sorry not sorry.
I mean sure, if it materially increases safety then of course ask. But if it’s just to avoid 2 minutes of taxi time but then I have to do 2 minutes worth of work to abide by the SOPs to do everything involved with changing a runway?

1690930755710.gif

Makes me think of the captain I flew with in 2017 who would request the then-rarely used 1L/19R at IAD to build PIC time from the extra long taxi (if you're not familiar with IAD, it's at least a mile from the terminals). He would also fly at 55% torque for the same reason.

Just for y’all, a couple Capt’s that I’ve flown with also flew the A330 in the right seat said “A330 will do 16R (8500ft long), but it’s going to be like doing a 6000ft runway in the 737”

That’s why they ask for 16L

Especially after a long ass day and you haven't landed since last month, or maybe the month before.

A mere ~8600ft? OH MY! Sounds a tad like the dreaded 7 engine approach! :O

I mean, by definition, you're ALWAYS heavy in a 748. But, relative to MLW, how heavy are you going to be in a 748?? Did you guys start doing short-hop auto parts without telling the rest of us? 😁

Last edited:
Back