121 guys, how does this happen? (AKA,Oh Delta)

Had a MSP overnight. Hotel connected to Mall of America. Saw a Sbarros. Went for the kill. First time in a long time I’ve had Sbarros on an overnight. :)

There’s an sbarro’s inside the TA truck stop up in Eloy, AZ where I pass through often. Unlike many sbarro’s I’ve seen that only have pizza, this one has various pasta dishes they offer too, which aren’t bad.

You need to discover Uber Eats and Door Dash. It’s all the other restaurants you can’t walk to…

Maybe you need to do the same in Orange County, foo! :)

boom-anna-kendrick-1.gif

Let me guess "No, that's Asia. That's REALLY Asia there. Nah, that's the gulf. Yes, that's what's considered the Middle East. Those are Arabs. I'm not Arab. No there's no Persia, well there is, but yes you can be Persian and Iranian but all Iranians aren't Persian." :)

Reminds me of a conversation I had when I went to Ghana. "Yes, the bartender and I are both black through American eyes but he's Ghanian and I'm African American, but I'm not necessarily African and HE'S not African American, he's Ghanian, but he's Gurma. No, because when a person from the continent of Africa sees me, I'm a black-American without a specific tribe or ethnicity because I'm hella-mixed because of the slave trade. Yes, there are different ethnicities in Ghana. Nah, he's Gurma who is from Ghana from the continent of Africa. Hey, do you call yourself North American? No, you're American. You and I are both American but I'm from California and you're from Missouri. Oh, never mind, do you want a beer or do you not want a beer?"

Hopefully I won’t be seen as a horrible person for saying this but one of the most interesting things I stumbled on after living in Africa was seeing African Americans and thinking to myself oh they look like they are originally from West Africa or the Congo or Ethiopia…. Etc.

Of course I’d never say it out loud but I find it all very fascinating.

It’s exactly the same as that white guy from New Jersey looks Dutch or Irish or French but for some reason it was kind of a mind blowing experience for a white dude from California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully I won’t be seen as a horrible person for saying this but one of the most interesting things I stumbled on after living in Africa was seeing African Americans and thinking to myself oh they look like they are originally from West Africa or the Congo or Ethiopia…. Etc.

Of course I’d never say it out loud but I find it all very fascinating.

It’s exactly the same as that white guy from New Jersey looks Dutch or Irish or French but for some reason it was kind of a mind blowing experience for a white dude from California.

Even within a country, it's still tribal with distinct features. I can show you two coworkers from Senegal and they have completely different features.

Plus it generally depends. There are African Americans who are (relatively) recent immigrants to America, and then there's a bunch like me who are more "American Black" than they are African American because our ancestors were basically stripped of any sense of identity, renamed and the last name was basically the owner and changed hands a lot. THEN, sold-off "bred" for features and intermixed with white, Native American, etc.

It's really a super complex issue that we're not able to talk about. But I do.

Even within a country, it's still tribal with distinct features. I can show you two coworkers from Senegal and they have completely different features.

Plus it generally depends. There are African Americans who are (relatively) recent immigrants to America, and then there's a bunch like me who are more "American Black" than they are African American because our ancestors were basically stripped of any sense of identity, renamed and the last name was basically the owner and changed hands a lot. THEN, sold-off "bred" for features and intermixed with white, Native American, etc.

I appreciate that you do.

One of the things I love about traveling. Real traveling, not domestic 737 is unlearning everything I learned as a kid in a primarily white community and school system.

Let me guess "No, that's Asia. That's REALLY Asia there. Nah, that's the gulf. Yes, that's what's considered the Middle East. Those are Arabs. I'm not Arab. No there's no Persia, well there is, but yes you can be Persian and Iranian but all Iranians aren't Persian." :)

Reminds me of a conversation I had when I went to Ghana. "Yes, the bartender and I are both black through American eyes but he's Ghanian and I'm African American, but I'm not necessarily African and HE'S not African American, he's Ghanian, but he's Gurma. No, because when a person from the continent of Africa sees me, I'm a black-American without a specific tribe or ethnicity because I'm hella-mixed because of the slave trade. Yes, there are different ethnicities in Ghana. Nah, he's Gurma who is from Ghana from the continent of Africa. Hey, do you call yourself North American? No, you're American. You and I are both American but I'm from California and you're from Missouri. Oh, never mind, do you want a beer or do you not want a beer?"
Maybe this all makes more sense after a beer

So where would you say many of the folks working in and around SEA are from? I had always guessed Ethiopia or maybe Somalia, but my recce skills are very undeveloped for that part of the world.

So where would you say many of the folks working in and around SEA are from? I had always guessed Ethiopia or maybe Somalia, but my recce skills are very undeveloped for that part of the world.

My gut says east Africa too but there are a lot of primarily Muslim countries on the West side too. Maybe one day I will have the guts to just ask.

One night when my FO and I were hungry in BFI at ohmygod o clock in the morning we ate sambusas (east African dumplings) from an Ethiopian immigrants stand.

Jamaicans (people born in Jamaica or family dervies from Jamaica) down here don't consider themselves African American even if they were born here. Dominicans are the same. I have a feeling that there is a negative connotation that immigrants have picked up when it comes to being associated with being labeled "African American".

This would be about using the radar *effectively.*

11 yrs as FO, and only about 5.5 yrs as CA but I can tell you I’ve seen in both seats, guys who were clueless about the radar usage in terms of effectively figuring out what you’re looking at.
You’d think that proving proficiency in how to effectively use a radar would be a test/check requirement. Oh, aviation education is a joke compared to other industries.

Jamaicans (people born in Jamaica or family dervies from Jamaica) down here don't consider themselves African American even if they were born here. Dominicans are the same. I have a feeling that there is a negative connotation that immigrants have picked up when it comes to being associated with being labeled "African American".
Real talk. When I was growing up in broward county, Jamaican’s we’re famous for saying, “I’m not black, I’m Jamaican.” And this was many, many years ago.

Truth.

Wouldn’t it be super if we were able to learn about the various varieties of people rather than trying to dumb everything down and trying to “both sides politics” everything? :)

Ethnicity is a hyper-complex issue.
Especially since the answer is usually effed up. "Why do Filipina women usually have way more curves on average than women from the rest of Asia? Oh, Spanish colonization. I see".

That is the struggle of being well-versed in history. If you think about it constantly, you will find offense and negativity in almost every topic. The new generation doesn't seem to deal with compartmentalizing that information well lol.

Back