Are cargo khakis acceptable at the Academy?

They should let ATCers dress as they wish with an obvious dress code implemented. My take on it is w/ the job we are doing we should be as comfortable as can be with our clothes.

It is not hard to where khakis and tuck in my shirt, but quite frankly, I am not comfortable when I do. I'm most comfortable in a cotton Tshirt, jeans, and a pair of J's on my feet.

Which brings up a question for me. The whole Obama taking office and the collective bargaining possibly going back to the table; Will we get our dress code back too?

They should let ATCers dress as they wish with an obvious dress code implemented. My take on it is w/ the job we are doing we should be as comfortable as can be with our clothes.

It is not hard to where khakis and tuck in my shirt, but quite frankly, I am not comfortable when I do. I'm most comfortable in a cotton Tshirt, jeans, and a pair of J's on my feet.

:yeahthat:

I agree, not so comfy sitting on position for 10 hours in either skirt or dress pants and any form of the torture devices better known as womens shoes :panic:

I agree, not so comfy sitting on position for 10 hours in either skirt or dress pants and any form of the torture devices better known as womens shoes :panic:

Exactly what I was thinking too... Making me put on a skirt and heels or dress shoes is really going to ensure that I am as uncomfortable as possible while I'm at work.

:yeahthat:

you will never sit ON POSITION for 10 hours. come on people. this is the real world....this isnt a cashiers job at lowes....whats so bad about looking professional at your career?

you will never sit ON POSITION for 10 hours. come on people. this is the real world....this isnt a cashiers job at lowes....whats so bad about looking professional at your career?

Sorry, I guess I didn't convey that very well, but I'm pretty sure you knew that I meant being at work for ten hours dressed like that...I still don't want to be on position for eight out of those ten hours in uncomfortable clothes. Why the hell do I need to dress up in addition to being uncomfortable for a public that will never see me and not even realize what I do? It's not about looking professional, you're professionalism comes from your ability to control traffic, how you handle yourself on frequency/land lines, and you're ability to be in control...the dress code is simply a power issue and has nothing to do with the job, it's the agency's attempt at "getting back" at the controllers for the past few years of controller/union power, as demonstrated by the impositionof IWRs and the non-tract.

I agree with soonerkid.. what is the big deal? where do you all work now? I currently have to dress with slacks and a button up shirt tucked in, so this part of the job doesnt phase me a bit. I already own this type of clothing.. where as i only have 2 pairs of shorts since I only get the chance to wear them once a week now anyways. Personally i dont see this as such a big deal and compared to other things like 6 day work weeks or too much forced overtime it seems like nothing!

Sorry, I guess I didn't convey that very well, but I'm pretty sure you knew that I meant being at work for ten hours dressed like that...I still don't want to be on position for eight out of those ten hours in uncomfortable clothes. Why the hell do I need to dress up in addition to being uncomfortable for a public that will never see me and not even realize what I do? It's not about looking professional, you're professionalism comes from your ability to control traffic, how you handle yourself on frequency/land lines, and you're ability to be in control...the dress code is simply a power issue and has nothing to do with the job, it's the agency's attempt at "getting back" at the controllers for the past few years of controller/union power, as demonstrated by the impositionof IWRs and the non-tract.
for somebody who has never worked traffic you sure are going into your career with a positive attitude. hope you can keep it up throughout your career.
dress clothes arent that uncomfortable. you dont have to wear heels everyday (or even at all for that matter) there are plenty of options for business casual clothes that are perfectly comfortable. it wont kill you to look a little professional while at your CAREER.

All I know is whatever I may end up wearing would be a hell of a lot more comfortable than long sleeved camouflage uniforms with the pants tucked into my combat boots, and making sure I have the belt facing the right direction and worrying about someone harassing me if I don't put on my beret within two steps of leaving a building.:crazy:

I agree with soonerkid.. what is the big deal? where do you all work now? I work as a math tutor, waitress, standardized patient, and ATC intern (only time I don't have to dress up is when I work the mid with my dad and climbing up and down tower cab stairs are a pain in the butt in heels). The big deal is sitting around for 8 hours talking your @$$ off and being extremely uncomfortable in the process, which takes some focus away from the job, however small. Maybe it's not being a controller yet that has you asking "what's the big deal?", but every controller I know from the seasoned controllers to the new hires absolutely HATES the dress code and immediately changes into something more comfortable the minute they get home. I currently have to dress with slacks and a button up shirt tucked in, so this part of the job doesnt phase me a bit. I already own this type of clothing.. where as i only have 2 pairs of shorts since I only get the chance to wear them once a week now anyways. Personally i dont see this as such a big deal and compared to other things like 6 day work weeks or too much forced overtime it seems like nothing! You're right, in this respect the dress code is not the biggest issue, but it's still an issue. It is one of many ridiculous mandates that the management to puts on the controllers for no reason. Does it help us talk to planes any better? No. Does it make pilots listen to us more? No, the way in which you talk to them establishes that. And does the dress code instill more confidence in the public? No, since most of them think we're the guys who wave the planes into their gate with their little batons. So I guess my argument simply is that if there's no point to having a dress code, why is it in place?

for somebody who has never worked traffic you sure are going into your career with a positive attitude. hope you can keep it up throughout your career. For someone who's never worked traffic you sure know everything. Oh, and it's not negativity it's a realistic outlook on what's going on from someone who has had to live with it for 20 years and is now interning at ATL.
dress clothes arent that uncomfortable. you dont have to wear heels everyday (or even at all for that matter) You tell that to the tower controller in Albuquerque who was REQUIRED by her manager to change her shoes and then fell down the tower cab stairs. there are plenty of options for business casual clothes that are perfectly comfortable. it wont kill you to look a little professional while at your CAREER. You'd sure make a good manager:panic:

I still think you are making this too much of an issue. My current job is behind locked doors, the public never sees me. They have a dress code though, and no one has ever fought it. I have found work clothes that are comfortable enough. I have no problem with dressing nice for work and looking respectable. You can find women dress shoes that do not have high heels and that are comfortable.

I still think you are making this too much of an issue. My current job is behind locked doors, the public never sees me. They have a dress code though, and no one has ever fought it. Just curious, has it always been that way? It may not be such a big issue, as I have admitted before, but it's that it has been such a recent reasonless change, due to the IWRs and non-tract. The principle of the thing is probably the reason why it's so widely despised. To turn the tables a little bit, I don't see why dressing up makes anyone more professional as a controller or the fact that it's a career makes it anymore justifiable, there are plenty of jobs in which you don't have to dress up to be professional and good at what you do (ex. being a standardized patient $20/hr., tutor $40/hr.)I have found work clothes that are comfortable enough. I have no problem with dressing nice for work and looking respectable. You can find women dress shoes that do not have high heels and that are comfortable. I'm sure there are, that's not what I was saying. My point was that it's not really up to us what will be acceptable to management, you'd think that it wouldn't matter whether you wear heels or flats, golf socks or dress sock, whether your pants have pockets or not, whether they were wearing too much of one colour, or whether the two shades of said colour worked together according to the supervisor, but it apparently does and controllers have been sent home to change their attire because that day management decided it didn't follow the dress code.[/quote]

I still think you are making this too much of an issue. My current job is behind locked doors, the public never sees me. They have a dress code though, and no one has ever fought it. I have found work clothes that are comfortable enough. I have no problem with dressing nice for work and looking respectable. You can find women dress shoes that do not have high heels and that are comfortable.

Thank you. I think it is funny/absurd how I might be chastised for trying to present myself professionally to my peers and superiors. I think a lot of the gripes about the dress code are systemic from pay and just another reason for the union, who I will be happy to join, to complain and bitch. So if the old pay system were restored and the dress code were still in place I promise you wouldn't hear a whisper of complaint. So me wearing a military uniform controlling traffic didn't make sense? No one ever saw me control traffic while I was wearing it; so should I have worn it all those years? Women don't have to wear high heels to look professional. When you are busy, you won't think twice about what you are wearing. I know from what little experience I have. Some people need to grow up and learn that rules is rules.

Thank you. I think it is funny/absurd how I might be chastised for trying to present myself professionally to my peers and superiors. I think a lot of the gripes about the dress code are systemic from pay and just another reason for the union, who I will be happy to join, to complain and bitch. So if the old pay system were restored and the dress code were still in place I promise you wouldn't hear a whisper of complaint Again, dress code is a minor issue, and I would be just as happy to be paid on the Green Book pay scale and come to work with the dress code, though I wouldn't mind getting my cake and eating it too lol. So me wearing a military uniform controlling traffic didn't make sense? A little different considering military personnel have always worn a uniform, so your rules have been there since like the beginning of time (not to be taken literally) and ours is only two almost three years old, what's changed to warrent this? Well, besides IWRs. No one ever saw me control traffic while I was wearing it; so should I have worn it all those years? Women don't have to wear high heels to look professional. NO they don't, I never said that, I said it depends on how the management is feeling that day When you are busy, you won't think twice about what you are wearing. I know from what little experience I have. Some people need to grow up and learn that rules is rules When they're Imposed Work Rules I don't see them as valid rules, not saying that I'm going to be a rebellious controller and wear something like say a kilt to work (yes this actually happened) I'll follow the rules, doesn't mean I'm going to be happy about it, I am quite a grumpy gills (or so my father tells me).:panic:.

Again, dress code is a minor issue, and I would be just as happy to be paid on the Green Book pay scale and come to work with the dress code, though I wouldn't mind getting my cake and eating it too lol. Minor issue!? I don't think something is minor when it provokes idiots into wearing dresses, kilts, leisure suits and tacky button up shirts to work. The management are sticklers about this because of rebellious attitudesSo me wearing a military uniform controlling traffic didn't make sense? A little different considering military personnel have always worn a uniform, so your rules have been there since like the beginning of time (not to be taken literally) and ours is only two almost three years old, what's changed to warrent this?Long time coming. Since before the new rules (IWR and draconinan are union terms) that was one of the biggest demands of managers. They were tired of seeing people show up to work in track suits, flip flops, wearing hats, etc. We are going to work for the federal government and should dress the part. What other federal employees wear sweat pants, and flip flops to work? When you find it let me know. Well, besides IWRs. No one ever saw me control traffic while I was wearing it; so should I have worn it all those years? Women don't have to wear high heels to look professional. NO they don't, I never said that, I said it depends on how the management is feeling that day Thanks to the idiots mentioned above who taunt them When you are busy, you won't think twice about what you are wearing. I know from what little experience I have. Some people need to grow up and learn that rules is rules When they're Imposed Work Rules I don't see them as valid rules, not saying that I'm going to be a rebellious controller and wear something like say a kilt to work (yes this actually happened) I'll follow the rules, doesn't mean I'm going to be happy about it, I am quite a grumpy gills (or so my father tells me)

Again, dress code is a minor issue, and I would be just as happy to be paid on the Green Book pay scale and come to work with the dress code, though I wouldn't mind getting my cake and eating it too lol. Minor issue!? I don't think something is minor when it provokes idiots into wearing dresses, kilts, leisure suits and tacky button up shirts to work. The management are sticklers about this because of rebellious attitudes Weren't rebellious before the IWRS So me wearing a military uniform controlling traffic didn't make sense? A little different considering military personnel have always worn a uniform, so your rules have been there since like the beginning of time (not to be taken literally) and ours is only two almost three years old, what's changed to warrent this?Long time coming. Since before the new rules (IWR and draconinan are union terms) that was one of the biggest demands of managers. They were tired of seeing people show up to work in track suits, flip flops, wearing hats, etc. We are going to work for the federal government and should dress the part. What other federal employees wear sweat pants, and flip flops to work? When you find it let me know. Still Can wear blue jeans on the mid (did it last night AND I wore a baseball hat), why does it matter what time of day it is? But, I do agree some people took it too far, you should be able to wear what you want within reason (ie jeans with that have more holes than material, t-shirts with holes in them, etc.) Well, besides IWRs. No one ever saw me control traffic while I was wearing it; so should I have worn it all those years? Women don't have to wear high heels to look professional. NO they don't, I never said that, I said it depends on how the management is feeling that day Thanks to the idiots mentioned above who taunt them When you are busy, you won't think twice about what you are wearing. I know from what little experience I have. Some people need to grow up and learn that rules is rules When they're Imposed Work Rules I don't see them as valid rules, not saying that I'm going to be a rebellious controller and wear something like say a kilt to work (yes this actually happened) I'll follow the rules, doesn't mean I'm going to be happy about it, I am quite a grumpy gills (or so my father tells me)

Number 1 = Dress code sucks. FFAA says it erodes the public confidence. Last week they tried to rescind them in exchange for us not going out and destroying them in front of Congress.

Number 2 = Worry about something important. Like whether you are going to make it at your facility. (BTW I wear cargo pants EVERY day to work. when you work at someplace like A80, manglement leaves you alone. We have other things to worry about besides pants. Like controlling 4000 aircraft per day).

Back