Dear Jetcareers

Seggy

Dear Members of Jetcareers,

We worked on this letter today about some things that are on our minds.

This website has given us SOOOOO much in our careers. Without this website who knows what we would have been doing with our careers. However, we have noticed something that we need think needs to be brought out in the open.

RESPECT

Recently, there has been a decline in the respect given on here. Yes, sometimes the words we put in our posts are lost in cyberspace and they don’t come across as we meant, but have RESPECT for one another. To the guys and gals just starting out, respect those who have gone before you. You don’t START OUT with respect in this industry, you have NONE. YOU GAIN IT with how you conduct yourself, what you say, and how you say it. When we where new to this site, we did a lot more listening and asking questions, rather than posting what we thought, because guess what we didn’t know jack.

To the guys who are lucky enough to be paid to fly. Have patience and respect the newbies on here. If those who went before didn’t have patience with you, who knows IF you would have ‘made it’.

LISTEN

You would be amazed what you can learn by listening rather than spouting off what is on your mind. We have both been a little too quick and sometimes to harsh with what we have said. Listen to others on this site as well as their advice. There is a wealth of information on this site. Instead of defending ones pride or thoughts, it is ok to say jeez I was wrong maybe I can change what I think.

TAKE IT LIKE A PROFESSIONAL

If you feel that someone attacked you, don’t RUN to the moderators right away. Take it like a professional and PM the person and ask them a simple question, like “Hey what did I do to deserve this?”

If you are constantly in the chiefs pilots office (moderators PM box) complaining that someone attacked you, good luck getting off probationary period at your airline! If you have a problem in real life take it up with the person yourself, professionally. If the person is not professional enough to respond to what you wrote them in their PM, then oh well.

Don’t say something to a person online that you wouldn’t say to their face! We both can be offensive, but you know where we stand AND we would NEVER say something online that we wouldn’t say to a person’s face. If you are not willing to say it to their face, don’t say it.

Also if ANY of you guys feel like we are complete donkey butts we would be more than willing to help the members on here with recommendations, referrals, or help. If a member seems harsh or a donkey butt, send them a PM, you would be surprised how some people really are!

POLITICS

We both have political backgrounds and are on the complete opposite sides of the political spectrum. Politics are fun to talk about, HOWEVER if ANY of you think that is has a place at work, especially in the cockpit get a new career. The LAST thing you want is to be talking about politics on a four day trip day in and day out when you are trying to fly an airplane.

Something that might be getting lost on the forum is that some of the guys that argue the most in the lav are REALLY good friends when they get away from the forums. Jtrain and kellwolf are really good friends even though they keep going back and forth about regionals vs. freight (it's hard to understand the dynamic without knowing both of us). Heck, they worked/lived/trained together for months. Jtrain and mpenguin argue constantly in the lav, but truth be told I (jtrain) couldn't possibly have more respect for mpenguin.

The reason why everybody gets along the way they do is because of TONS of mutual respect that has been earned over years of knowing each other

Post in the LAV about politics and other issues accordingly

REGIONALS

Yesterdays regionals of being the ‘place to be’ (see Mesaba and Comair) are tomorrows places that everyone is leaving. Today’s regionals of being the ‘place to be’ could very well turn into yesterdays!

ASKING QUESTIONS

NEVER be afraid to ask ANY questions in aviation.

If a question is asked, be respectful in the response. If the person doesn’t listen or is TRULY someone who is a troll, flame baiter, or one who needs an SERIOUS education, then respond accordingly

BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION

You might want to do a search.

MEET AND GREETS

Come to them. I (Seggy) was scared to death on the 5 hour plane ride to Network JC in October 2004 about meeting my ‘internet friends’. Some of these ‘internet friends’ have become my best friends I have, that is because of these Meet and Greets. They are a place to come, mingle, talk about what we all enjoy, and have a good time. We have a great bunch of people on here, you WILL feel comfortable at one. They are not drink fests, with John and Mark doing tequila shots off each other.

PAYING IT FORWARD

Do it.

There are a lot of logistics that are going to be needed to kink out, however, both of us have agreed that if, some certain things happen with us in our own financial situation, AND we get the kinks worked out, we are both willing $1000.00 of our own money to start a scholarship fund to help out members on here, who are getting started in the flight training world.

At this time, we both don’t have two pennies to our name, but in a year to two years we HOPE to be able to start a Jetcareers.com Aviation Scholarship fund. We are going to challenge and ask the other members on here to contribute to this once we get it started.

Love Always,

Mark (Seggy) and John (Jtrain)

PS - If I (jtrain) come off as an unapproachable (insert four letter words here ) I really am not. I am a VERY sarcastic individual, but would give the back off my shirt for someone. If anyone has any beef with me, my PM box is open. I want what is best for the jetcareers.com community no matter if you are a pre-solo student or a Captain at a Major.

Good and wise words, thanks for putting it all together!! JC us my second home and I wanna protect and flourish it like my own.

Killer post you two.

I have to agree 110% on meeting some of these pilot clowns. LA was awesome thanks to JTrain, Seggy and Pengy. Honestly I felt 100% at home, Like I was hanging with my mates up here.

If there is anything I can do from the tundra on the Northeast, let me know.

This is good advice, unfortunately I haven't always followed it.....better late than never, right?

you two are my heros. :wink: that was a professional post by the two of you very well said and extremely well thought out plan. please keep me posted on the scholarship fund. that seems like a great idea.

From a new guy here, that was very well put together. I think it should either be on the home page some place, or at least a sticky, and required reading before you become a member.:)

Amen, bros. Amen.

If it wasn't for JC, I wouldn't have my current job. It ain't flying an airplane but so what.

And I wouldn't be going skiing in a couple of week with a girl that even Max says is hot if it wasn't for JC.

So it will work out, maybe not in the way you think!

Great post, I'm bran new here but have learned so much in only a few weeks. Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Fantastic post! :) That's seriously heartwarming because that's what I've been working on for the past decade! :)

I'm going to provide a link to this thread and, "The Nine Commandments" in the new user "Welcome!" email and private message.

Fantastic post! :) That's seriously heartwarming because that's what I've been working on for the past decade! :)

I'm going to provide a link to this thread and, "The Nine Commandments" in the new user "Welcome!" email and private message.

Erm....you might wanna fix that one, Doug. :)

fixed! :)

Nicely done guys!! I'm thinking this would be great on the perspective page! two pilots, working hand in hand to show the rest of us what it's really *all about*!!

and Chuck (Ophir) - where you been man? we haven't seen you around here lately...make a thread and catch us up to date on what all is going on with ya! :)

Back