Air Force or Marines?

What Branch?

• Air Force

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Marines

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Delta Captain OE be like.................................................

8h2aap.jpg

This is so embarrassing. Such a boomer move to think people who fly AS out of SEA need an announcement to look at Mt. Rainer out of the left window, but we had plenty make the announcement.

We had an SFO CA (still do) who is former Air Force and he has many nicknames, but one of them is Captain Communicator. He would take about 32 minutes to brief the SID out of SFO (the SID we do 13 times a month or more) and would do things like brief the STAR for JFK, in the climbout, 5 hours before we needed to brief it, then he would spend about 40 minutes briefing it AGAIN an hour prior to TOD.

But that wasn't his best trait...

He had this uncanny nack for waiting to make the welcome aboard PA, once I was in the lav before departure. He did it to me several times. As soon as I locked the door I would hear a couple of footsteps then DINNNG, and just knew I was going to be stuck in there for 7 minutes while he did his BS. I am not kidding when I say this, but he would start with, "Good morning ladies and gentlemen! Show of hands, how many people have flown in an airplane before? Ahh come on, don't be shy, show of hands! OK I see a couple of hands, that's it? This is everyone's first time? That can't be! Come on, show of hands! Ok a few more, that is great, isn't flying amazing?" And would barf out minutes and minutes of worthless dribble while blocking the lav door so I can't get out.

Every SFO VXer knows exactly who I am talking about...
LOL holy crap! Some girl I met a few years ago told me a story like that and I thought it was BS. About being in 1st class and the CA standing just ahead of her seat mostly looking right at her for a "close to 10 minute" rant that included "several rounds" of trying to "shame" passengers into raising their hands that they've flown before (though I think she told me he wanted to know who flew on AS before). I thought it was BS because I think this was around when VX/AS were just done integrating more or less and I was thinking "As if VX would hire that guy". LOL! This was a Hawaii flight from SFO.

LOL holy crap! Some girl I met a few years ago told me a story like that and I thought it was BS. About being in 1st class and the CA standing just ahead of her seat mostly looking right at her for a "close to 10 minute" rant that included "several rounds" of trying to "shame" passengers into raising their hands that they've flown before (though I think she told me he wanted to know who flew on AS before). I thought it was BS because I think this was around when VX/AS were just done integrating more or less and I was thinking "As if VX would hire that guy". LOL! This was a Hawaii flight from SFO.

There is no way it wasn't the same guy lol.

lol @ asking who has flown before
on a flight from an island

If you’re nonrevving and have other options… Make a scene packing your s#it up , muttering under your breath “eff this.” As you pass by el comandante tell him you’re getting sick and need to get off. Be a man.

No one cares they’re on flight “fifty two ninety eight”. You can delete the flight number and keep on trucking.

I don't mind the flight number bit, but I can't for the life of me understand why the wind information at the arrival airport is part of the initial PA. "Weather at XXX is sunny and the temperature is 75 degrees" is plenty sufficient. "Winds out of the south at 15 knots" means absolutely nothing to the average flying passenger. If the wind information is intended to help prepare people for a bumpy approach/landing, just say that - "it's a bit windy, so we expect some bumps on arrival."

This video/PA had a lot of "me" / "mine" for a so-called servant leader. Love the idea of taking full personal accountability/ownership for the operation of the flight, but it seems like there's a better way to get that across without making it sound like the Crewmembers personally "belong" to you.

Love the idea of taking full personal accountability/ownership for the operation of the flight, but it seems like there's a better way to get that across without making it sound like the Crewmembers personally "belong" to you.
Most of the dudes like this I've met are pretty loathe to actually take responsibility when anything get's F-ed up. I'm sure if push came to shove "his crew" would suddenly become "those dumbasses."

I don't mind the flight number bit, but I can't for the life of me understand why the wind information at the arrival airport is part of the initial PA. "Weather at XXX is sunny and the temperature is 75 degrees" is plenty sufficient. "Winds out of the south at 15 knots" means absolutely nothing to the average flying passenger. If the wind information is intended to help prepare people for a bumpy approach/landing, just say that - "it's a bit windy, so we expect some bumps on arrival."

It matters a bit in some places like Hawaii. The difference between trade winds and kona winds can effect how somebody might spend their day. But in most places it probably doesn't matter too much.

If it makes you guys feel better, in my PA's (which are very random, like "oh you're one of the guys who has the PM do that?" surprise), I have never mentioned the wind. I also completely guess at the C to F temp conversion. And it will almost always be "partly cloudy" unless it is obviously not. I'm not really sure why I even consult the latest ATIS, I'm just gonna entirely make it up anyway. Oh yeah, "in a minute we're gonna turn on the seatbelt sign as we begin our arrival......oh wait, it's already on, just stay in your seats, and buy the credit card, winds are 080 at 30, there is light mist, temperature 7 dew point 5, flow restrictions into YVR, read back all hold short instructions, approach checklist please.....goddamit is this thing on???"

Oh yeah, I forgot "we're gonna land 40 minutes early, but we're gonna take a left at November, left onto Tango, and then we're gonna sit for 45 minutes because there is no way that gate is gonna be open"

Last edited:
If it makes you guys feel better, in my PA's (which are very random, like "oh you're one of the guys who has the PM do that?" surprise), I have never mentioned the wind. I also completely guess at the C to F temp conversion. And it will almost always be "partly cloudy" unless it is obviously not. I'm not really sure why I even consult the latest ATIS, I'm just gonna entirely make it up anyway. Oh yeah, "in a minute we're gonna turn on the seatbelt sign as we begin our arrival......oh wait, it's already on, just stay in your seats, and buy the credit card, winds are 080 at 30, there is light mist, temperature 7 dew point 5, flow restrictions into YVR, read back all hold short instructions, approach checklist please.....goddamit is this thing on???"

Oh yeah, I forgot "we're gonna land 40 minutes early, but we're gonna take a left at November, left onto Tango, and then we're gonna sit for 45 minutes because there is no way that gate is gonna be open"

I keep getting surprised by Captains who say, "Hey, why don't you say goodbye to the folks in the back."

I never mind doing it, but some CAs 'own' the PA and I'm fine with that too.

I usually pull out my phone and check the weather at the destination because that's what the pax do anyway, and give them the, "It's <cold/hot> in <destination> and it's <raining/sunny>. I try to mention if we're on time because that's a thing at my airline, and if we're really late, apologize for the delay and mention that we made up some time, (if we did.)

Any more than that is a wank, in my book.

Back