Japan Airlines flight on fire

99% of those videos are 1 dude and no one liked him. Kennedy Steve

I gotta find the recording of my 8 minutes of fame on LiveATC to see if it’s anyone you know.

Not sure if it still exists, but someone went and made a recording. I’ll see if I can find it, but I’ll be honest…a significant portion of boxed wine has been consumed

Found it!

Last edited:
Yup. Literally everywhere that isn’t in ‘Murica.

I love Latin America. In English you'll get cleared to land 16, and a second later there is someone speaking Spanish and all I'll hear is 34. Uh, say again?

Not singling out Spanish in particular, but just where I've observed it. I'm sure it occurs in French, Swahili, and any other language around the globe.

I love Latin America. In English you'll get cleared to land 16, and a second later there is someone speaking Spanish and all I'll hear is 34. Uh, say again?

Not singling out Spanish in particular, but just where I've observed it. I'm sure it occurs in French, Swahili, and any other language around the globe.

Yup. China is similar

I gotta find the recording of my 8 minutes of fame on LiveATC to see if it’s anyone you know.

Not sure if it still exists, but someone went and made a recording. I’ll see if I can find it, but I’ll be honest…a significant portion of boxed wine has been consumed

Found it!

Drunk edit. @derg remember when this delayed your duty in?

Found it!

I know 2 of the 3 tower controllers on this tape and the voice I don't know I believe is the aforementioned Kennedy Steve.

I don’t.

Even if he’s 100% at fault, it’s absolutely tragic and we are all one bad day from being in his shoes. I can’t imagine what it feels like to be in his shoes. But we are all human. No matter your competence level, spend enough time in this industry and you’ll find yourself in a situation where you thought you were on your game only to find out you weren’t.

Agreed 100%.

I only look forward to it because I am very interested in air disaster breakdowns. When I hear things, I always wonder the how and why because I always wonder what I am missing and how I can end up in those situations. Even the last two days of flying, I was thinking about this accident a lot. One missed call, one misunderstood call, is all it takes. What we do on a daily basis is freaking insane if you stop to think about it.

I know 2 of the 3 tower controllers on this tape and the voice I don't know I believe is the aforementioned Kennedy Steve.

That’s kind of what I thought. Was he the one that offered us the low approach?

I was an FO, so I didn’t get more than a vote on the matter. But the captain told me she got yelled at by our chief pilot for accepting that. I’d do it over again, we had plenty of gas and it was honestly one of the most boring things I’ve done in a plane. But to quote the CP “you aren’t test pilots” 😂

I don’t.

Even if he’s 100% at fault, it’s absolutely tragic and we are all one bad day from being in his shoes. I can’t imagine what it feels like to be in his shoes. But we are all human. No matter your competence level, spend enough time in this industry and you’ll find yourself in a situation where you thought you were on your game only to find out you weren’t.

Only in America. Mess up, kill 5 people, and you'll still be okay.

The rest of the world? There's a criminal investigation and this CA will most likely face jail time, assuming he doesn't commit seppuku first. Not kidding either. In the JAL 747 crash in 1985, it was a faulty repair on the tail cone by Boeing engineers. But the head mechanic at JAL commit seppuku as his way of saying "I'm sorry" to his country.

I'm in an e-mail group with a guy who runs an HND LiveATC feed (others here are as well), he very quickly after the accident told us that the DHC-8 had been given a line up and wait clearance (but he couldn't hear transmissions from airplanes on the ground in return) and that the JAL A359 was cleared to land. So...idk if this is real or not.

I'm in an e-mail group with a guy who runs an HND LiveATC feed (others here are as well), he very quickly after the accident told us that the DHC-8 had been given a line up and wait clearance (but he couldn't hear transmissions from airplanes on the ground in return) and that the JAL A359 was cleared to land. So...idk if this is real or not.

Is the feed archived? Should be easy enough to see if he was or wasn’t if it is.

That’s kind of what I thought. Was he the one that offered us the low approach?

I was an FO, so I didn’t get more than a vote on the matter. But the captain told me she got yelled at by our chief pilot for accepting that. I’d do it over again, we had plenty of gas and it was honestly one of the most boring things I’ve done in a plane. But to quote the CP “you aren’t test pilots” 😂
The guy that initially offered that low approach was at the TRACON, don't know anyone there from that time period (I was in the academy when this happened). The guy working 31R on the initial call up when you went around the first time is now retired but working as a training contractor. The guy working 31L when you landed and did a low pass is the one I don't know. The guy working 31R at the end who asks the other pilot if they can see your gear works in TMU at ZNY now.

Only in America. Mess up, kill 5 people, and you'll still be okay.

The rest of the world? There's a criminal investigation and this CA will most likely face jail time, assuming he doesn't commit seppuku first. Not kidding either. In the JAL 747 crash in 1985, it was a faulty repair on the tail cone by Boeing engineers. But the head mechanic at JAL commit seppuku as his way of saying "I'm sorry" to his country.

I am reaching a bit with this comparison (and it’s intended as a reflective moment, not a criticism). Your mentioning “seppuku” in a manner that I presume is not complimentary, got me thinking about how easy it is for us to make judgements about other societies that we don’t fully understand. I recall giving someone pushback who was making uneducated and bigoted remarks about your religion recently as an extreme example. Kind of makes me wonder more about the background of seppuku…

@Screaming_Emu also, forgot to mention, flying a low approach to allow the tower to look at the gear is a fairly routine maneuver, I have done it several times in my career. Your chief pilot had no right to admonish your captain. Maybe if she were a he it wouldn't have happened 🤷‍♂️

All I will say is that it is very rare I am somewhere and get an ATC instruction that I wouldn't get in the US, and think, "well, that's a stupid way of saying it".

”Southernjets two behind the departing British Airways 777 runway two seven left line up and wait BEHIND,” but that’s about the extent of the stupid.

Back