Japan Airlines flight on fire

I didn’t care at all because they were the only 3 in my airspace with the rest holding with center waiting for the winds to shift or slow. It was amusing to watch though. I’ve always wanted to give holding by saying “this will be a no gyro vector, turn left.”
That would be a lot of work for you. Specially the new kids who don't know what a gyro is.

That’s kind of what I thought. Was he the one that offered us the low approach?

I was an FO, so I didn’t get more than a vote on the matter. But the captain told me she got yelled at by our chief pilot for accepting that. I’d do it over again, we had plenty of gas and it was honestly one of the most boring things I’ve done in a plane. But to quote the CP “you aren’t test pilots” 😂

Wow.

Flying a low approach/go around is now a test pilot maneuver? What would be accepting an option approach be considered to this guy, an astronaut skill level maneuver? Good God…

Wow.

Flying a low approach/go around is now a test pilot maneuver? What would be accepting an option approach be considered to this guy, an astronaut skill level maneuver? Good God…

Regional ACP and CP are mostly doing it for the resume. As a result, you see some special characters and behaviors.

Regional ACP and CP are mostly doing it for the resume. As a result, you see some special characters and behaviors.
Maybe.

Most everyone in the flight office above a certain rank at the Mormon Air Force was a lifer (and damn near everyone with a supervisory job in Flight Standards/Training and the safety and program offices too, resulting in problems very similar to "Not Invented Here"). Supervisors and Ass-Chiefs might have had one foot partially out the door, but pretty much everyone who was a domicile chief pilot or higher in those days is, to my knowledge, either retired from the post, or still very much there (though they may not have those jobs anymore; some changes have been made).

Everyone's a lifer until they aren't.

Niiiice :p

1704436731345.png

Surprisingly they don't use it. I logged onto it once in Western China, but they never used it.
I’ve had good luck with Lanzhou (sp?) but it’s about the only one I’ve had work over the few years I’ve been going there… Kunming told me once to stop trying to log in… so 🤷‍♂️…. I’m just here so I don’t get fined.

I didn’t care at all because they were the only 3 in my airspace with the rest holding with center waiting for the winds to shift or slow. It was amusing to watch though. I’ve always wanted to give holding by saying “this will be a no gyro vector, turn left.”

Was it you telling me the story of seeing the supervisor vector some poor schmuck all over the place, and you asked why he didn't issue a hold, and he said it was because he couldn't remember how to issue one?

Only in America. Mess up, kill 5 people, and you'll still be okay.

The rest of the world? There's a criminal investigation and this CA will most likely face jail time, assuming he doesn't commit seppuku first. Not kidding either. In the JAL 747 crash in 1985, it was a faulty repair on the tail cone by Boeing engineers. But the head mechanic at JAL commit seppuku as his way of saying "I'm sorry" to his country.

It’s probably not ok to say this, but GD I admire that level of personal accountability. The fact that so many people drive drunk, wipe out a family, and don’t have enough shame to off themselves is perhaps a greater indictment on their character than the act itself.

Thanks for attending my banned TedTalk

It’s probably not ok to say this, but GD I admire that level of personal accountability. The fact that so many people drive drunk, wipe out a family, and don’t have enough shame to off themselves is perhaps a greater indictment on their character than the act itself.

Seeking jail time for honest mistakes is not the direction we want to take aviation. It was a horrible mistake that cost lives, but unless this was a deliberate act we should not be seeking prison.

That’s commitment. A commitment to personal honor and a sense of accountability indeed. Definitely a cultural nuance.

That’s definitely commitment. A commitment to personal honor and a sense of accountability indeed. Definitely a cultural nuance.

Meanwhile in America, the easiest way to get away with killing someone is with a motor vehicle. You’ll do a couple years in prison at best and then released.

Honestly, what would you prefer?

Every state within the Republic has codified a difference between premeditated, emotional/spur of moment (1st and 2nd degree murder, generally), accidental, self-defense (with a wide-range of what exactly constitutes same). There is a difference between murder and manslaughter, and degrees of same, which is codified.

There may actually be a difference between all of those things, despite a life (lives) lost by the act.

Some countries/cultures cut off a hand for theft, some ignore violent rape of women; fortunately the U.S. does not.

Circumstances can matter and adjudication, while imperfect, does a fair job of trying to take them into account - at least in my opinion.

Back