Japan Airlines flight on fire

@Screaming_Emu also, forgot to mention, flying a low approach to allow the tower to look at the gear is a fairly routine maneuver, I have done it several times in my career. Your chief pilot had no right to admonish your captain. Maybe if she were a he it wouldn't have happened 🤷‍♂️

Yeah. It was a regional airline so dumb management was standard operating procedure.

CNN is reporting the runway hold short bar lighting was out of service. Which I mentioned not seeing in an earlier post.

In a further development, publicly available records appeared to suggest that out-of-service warning lights – designed to stop pilots from erroneously taxiing onto the runway – could have been another factor in the crash.

CNN is reporting the runway hold short bar lighting was out of service. Which I mentioned not seeing in an earlier post.

That's a pretty normal thing at HND. I'm not sure why, but a lot of the runways are missing them for large periods of time. I think most of the ones for 34L were out the last time I was there.

That's a pretty normal thing at HND. I'm not sure why, but a lot of the runways are missing them for large periods of time. I think most of the ones for 34L were out the last time I was there.
I mean, it does happen, but generally if you check the NOTAMs and see that I would expect a pilot would be extra vigilant around runways.

I mean, it does happen, but generally if you check the NOTAMs and see that I would expect a pilot would be extra vigilant around runways.

Sure. Japan is pretty good about limiting stupid NOTAMs, but I counted once... my Dispatch packet from Honolulu to HND had a total of 2,157 notams in it for the entire route. And other than runway closures (marked in red) nothing has any higher level of priority than anything else. It's hard to be extra vigilant around everything.

Sure. Japan is pretty good about limiting stupid NOTAMs, but I counted once... my Dispatch packet from Honolulu to HND had a total of 2,157 notams in it for the entire route. And other than runway closures (marked in red) nothing has any higher level of priority than anything else. It's hard to be extra vigilant around everything.
What is this, a SkyWest LOE?

“HAR HAR GOTCHA”

1704401054606.png

...with you...<<eye twitch>>

”…
As much as the construction of the plane, clear instructions by the flight crew and the compliance of passengers would have been instrumental in the safe evacuation, Dr. Brown said.

“Really, the Japan Airlines crew in this case performed extremely well,” Dr. Brown said. The fact that passengers did not stop to retrieve carry-on luggage or otherwise slow down the exit was “really critical,” she added.

…”

IMG_0016.png

Not Japan, but I literally had 2.5 pages of this the other night

The amount of ICAO non standard things that we do in the States is frankly astounding.

What? How can we make good instrument pilots if we don’t do 1 min inbound holding? That’s the secret to airmanship. We wouldn’t have won at Philippine Sea without that skill set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What? How can we make good instrument pilots if we don’t do 1 min inbound holding? That’s the secret to airmanship. We wouldn’t have won at Philippine Sea without that skill set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least we can enter holding in any way we feel like now…..:)

HND is crazy.

You will literally change runways two to five times on arrival so perhaps (maybe, of course just spit-balling) things got out of sync for either the pilots or the controllers.
I LUV runway switching. Gives me something useful to do during the actual 90-ish second "flying" phase of flight. I get to go home thinking -at least just a little tiny bit- that today I left the office having actually done something I was actually paid to do.

Back