Japan Airlines flight on fire

Pretty scary looking! Hopefully everybody is OK.

Pretty stunning, if it turns out to be true, that everyone got off alive.
I've seen nothing regarding the other aircraft crew. Hoping for the best.
All the photos and video I've seen so far do not show clear info on what initially happened, but it does not look good

Last edited:
Japanese media reporting all pax evacuated safely. No word on the DHC-8 crew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Word is 5 of the 6 on the DHC-8 perished with the Captain the lone survivor but in serious condition.

That’s insane. Glad everyone was okay on the passenger airliner. Reminded me of USAir 1491 that landed on top of the Skywest Metroliner in LAX back in 1991. Oftentimes I wonder if it wouldn’t be smart when cleared to line up and wait, to offset from the centerline so you (and in this case your lights) don’t blend into the runway environment.

That’s insane. Glad everyone was okay on the passenger airliner. Reminded me of USAir 1491 that landed on top of the Skywest Metroliner in LAX back in 1991. Oftentimes I wonder if it wouldn’t be smart when cleared to line up and wait, to offset from the centerline so you (and in this case your lights) don’t blend into the runway environment.

I sorta do this when I fly GA airplanes like my Extra 300, T6 etc. when I can’t see in front of me. I don’t offset from the centerline but I basically line up 30 or so degrees off runway heading. It allows me to see down the runway and behind me so I can make sure nobody lands on top of me, and when I am cleared for takeoff I can make sure the runway is clear.

Pretty wild. Could have easily been a lot worse. Checkout the nose cone.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 9.12.08 AM.png

I sorta do this when I fly GA airplanes like my Extra 300, T6 etc. when I can’t see in front of me. I don’t offset from the centerline but I basically line up 30 or so degrees off runway heading. It allows me to see down the runway and behind me so I can make sure nobody lands on top of me, and when I am cleared for takeoff I can make sure the runway is clear.

Same. Especially since I'm often flying airplanes without radios, that slight offset helps avoids the camouflage. It is too easy to blend into the piano keys.

Side note, this is the first major incident with the A350, right?

Fantastic job crew, a testament to training, professionalism and modern aircraft design. There were a couple of aircraft holding short that witnessed it including a DL flight heading to DTW. Hell of a thing to see, will be curious to learn how it all happened.

RIP to the Coast Guard crew, they were taking supplies for earthquake relief up to Niigata.

Big difference being that after running into SKW 5569, USAir 1493 veered off the runway and into the unoccupied auxiliary fire station building there at LAX. Had that structure not been impacted, there’s a good chance there would have been many more survivors of that unfortunate accident. Unfortunate combination of the location of the impact and post-impact dynamics.

Fantastic job by the JAL flight attendants/flight crew and the ground fire rescue for getting everyone off that inferno without any injury or death! Impressive!
RIP to the Coast Guard crewmembers….sad:(

For the ARFF crews especially, considering this was an unannounced emergency, which requires a cold response. And with a requirement to respond to two different accident scenes at the same time, as well as conduct split fireground operations. To have no fatalities on the A350, considering the number of persons onboard, the rapid fire ignition and spread, and firefighting tactical limitations, is impressive.

Back