What trends are you seeing in the people going from 1500 to a major?

The fact you had to say “get off the internet” on OE…ughhhhhhh

Yeeeeeup.
Classic situation where some personality types confuse friendliness with having free reign eschew standards and practices.

Actual quote: "Well the last guy didn't care"

"I'll have a conversation with X about that but in the meantime I need to see if you can not only perform but adhere to the letter of the FOM during OE because your first non standards captain isn't going to say anything about non-compliance and your first hint will be a vague call from the chief pilot to tell you what time to arrive at the office because the captain didn't say anything TO YOU about it"

What about high time pilots?
WE DON’T CARE HOW YOU DID IT AT SPIRIT / JETBLUE / FRONTIER / ALASKA / SOUTHWEST!!111!11

Or on the Brasilia for that matter. See, I can make jokes about myself.

Attachments

• version=1&uuid=0424222F-41CB-483D-8A0E-F6CE7CEA6E47&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
    version=1&uuid=0424222F-41CB-483D-8A0E-F6CE7CEA6E47&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 20
I can tell how the trip is going to go by observing the other pilot’s first cockpit setup. If they check the destination weather and put in an anticipated arrival runway (so the STAR finishes populating for more accurate fuel prediction), and if they set up both sides and the standby with altimeter settings and acceleration altitudes I know it’s going to go well. Because they’re thinking ahead and about someone other then themselves.

Then I in turn take a page from the Derg playbook and alternate walkarounds. Teamwork is the great equalizer.

If they do the bare minimum and then surf on their phone I’m much less inclined to help out when it’s pouring and they’re on their third walkaround of the day.

I can tell how the trip is going to go by observing the other pilot’s first cockpit setup. If they check the destination weather and put in an anticipated arrival runway (so the STAR finishes populating for more accurate fuel prediction), and if they set up both sides and the standby with altimeter settings and acceleration altitudes I know it’s going to go well. Because they’re thinking ahead and about someone other then themselves.

Then I in turn take a page from the Derg playbook and alternate walkarounds. Teamwork is the great equalizer.

If they do the bare minimum and then surf on their phone I’m much less inclined to help out when it’s pouring and they’re on their third walkaround of the day.

Samesies.

That first leg is heavily observational for me. I'll give my co the first leg, go do the walk around and when I get back, if everything is meticulous, complete and they have some questions like "I'm new, what runway do you think we'll get in MCI? I put in…" I know it's going to go great. If I get back and they're still scrolling on TikTok and there's a bunch of un-inserted uplinks and the buffer is full (which means they've been sitting in the MCDU for an extended period while other uplinks have been arriving) it's safe to assume, in most cases, it's going to be a trip where I have to play "disappointed dad".

("Disappointed dad" is kind of an inside joke with a few of my offline friend where you find yourself turning to the person, letting your shoulders down, reluctant glare, take a breath and give the other person the chat about expectations versus performance versus operational priorities and how YOU SHOULD ALREADY FRICKEN KNOW THESE DAMNED THINGS)

Wait, the A350A goes to MCI? Or is that when you get a green slip after the AE?
Ahem, "350" and "350A" is who I be! :)

It doesn't go to MCI, but sometimes I blend my previous world with the current.

I always assumed that this was not a correct thing to do, since not doing it allows the other pilot to check my work once we get to those items on the checklist (i.e. we independently set ours, and then make sure we both saw the same thing). Of course, 8/10 CAs will get in and just use that transfer switch up on the overhead to update their side to whatever is on mine, so it is probably a moot point. But that was at least my understanding......probably varies by shop/technique/etc. Thoughts?

Hmmm. That makes sense. Never thought about it that way. Admittedly when I was in the right seat I set up the whole cockpit, not just my side. Doesn’t mean that was right, but that’s how I did it. I figured it made for a good first impression.

Hmmm. That makes sense. Never thought about it that way. Admittedly when I was in the right seat I set up the whole cockpit, not just my side. Doesn’t mean that was right, but that’s how I did it. I figured it made for a good first impression.
On my fleet at Southern Jetz, it depends on who I’m flying with. Some MilBro’s are very “the book says I do this since I’m PF/PM!”, which is ok with me, I can live in that world…but I prefer the “hey, thanks for knocking everything out whilst I did the walk around…that was cool of you”, and we ease into a laid back briefing/low stress world before pushback.

I always assumed that this was not a correct thing to do, since not doing it allows the other pilot to check my work once we get to those items on the checklist (i.e. we independently set ours, and then make sure we both saw the same thing). Of course, 8/10 CAs will get in and just use that transfer switch up on the overhead to update their side to whatever is on mine, so it is probably a moot point. But that was at least my understanding......probably varies by shop/technique/etc. Thoughts?

I always set it up on the CA side if I had time. It helped to get things going the “right way” with the captain. It was usually appreciated and quite often there was a thank you when we referenced “altimeter” during the before start checklist. Big goal was everything was done when El Heffe showed. My joke was: “you should definitely check my work because I’m the biggest threat today but it’s all done.” When they were done double checking: “next time you see me on a trip you can sleep in and show 5 minutes to push.”

I’m done with the sim and waiting on OE. But I’ve already realized my big problem as El Capitan will be showing up too early. So my plan is to offer to get coffee or do the walk around so I’m not present when my FO is setting things up. Some captains were really good at this and some were terrible. My goal is to be good and at least not annoying to my FO.

Probably referencing the FOs seniority I’ll likely ask if they’d like help, if they are super junior before heading to the coffee shop.

I did get feedback that I was doing well with communication and CRM during training but I was also too helpful. I thought my FO training partner was cool so I was doing my best to make life easy but a couple of times I probably annoyed more than helped. It’s definitely a fine line and a big learning curve.

Fun part is I’ll probably be an FO again in October :( Which is why I didn’t want anyone to know I was going to upgrade ) Le sigh…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back