What trends are you seeing in the people going from 1500 to a major?

Yeah I was gonna say, I've flown with some not-insignificant amount of CAs who have hurriedly looked at the release after they saw I put in a arrival runway. I did check myself, but I have generally stopped doing this because 1) some guys get worried about it, and 2) in 4-6 hrs the current arrival runway doesn't really mean anything in a lot of cases, especially on the routes I fly (i.e. redeye/after hours arrivals), double especially when it is somewhere like DFW with like 4-6 possible runways, noise abatement flow, etc etc. And then I have flown with another not-insignificant amount of CAs who will do like Zap says and insert it themselves, and then I will note that for the remainder of the trip. Like a smart guy once told me, you gotta be a chameleon as an FO. Can't read minds, and a lot of this stuff is personal preference rather than written down anywhere. I have generally had the mentality of not wanting to mess with the CA side/flow stuff because I don't want to get all up in their personal space. I'll set all 3 altimeters of course, grab weather (which is part of the flow), get clx and everything else, but I'm not one to "personalize" someone's crew station without their permission. I will very much check the cross feed valve though :) And it took a couple trips to get it into my scan, but I'll try and make sure the APU/packs situation is tight by the time they get there. That all being said, good to hear some other perspectives here, and maybe I need to chill out a bit.

As for the FO's who don't read MELs and don't bring up the appropriate procedural stuff (if applicable).....yeah, that's just laziness/dumb.
I’m doing well if I do all my stuff right the first time :bounce: .

I’m doing well if I do all my stuff right the first time :bounce: .

haha yeah, that is a fair statement. I've had a number of >30 out of cockpit stretches due to mil stuff, and I definitely forget dumb stuff on the first flight or two. Like "why can't I load the FMS?" /.....oh yeah dumb a**, you didn't load a departure runway after you activated the route.

Sometimes I’ll add the landing runway, but that’s usually when we know what it’s always going to be. That’s also different when it’s a 12 hour leg as opposed to 2.5 hours. Back then I always loaded the entire approach.

I hate to be a buzzkill but there will be a bunch of invol displacements out of Boeing LAX Capt.

Yes, a bunch of Airbus guys will bid SFO but there’s still a significant portion that wants LA.

I've only been in the left seat for about 9 months but I agree with this. I too struggle with how to deal with it. Ultimately I've been settling on servant leadership. It doesn't matter who does the work as long as it gets done.

So I do show up around the same time as the FO. I do my job, and when I'm done I review theirs. If they haven't done something that I would have liked (like inserting an anticipated arrival runway to complete the STAR), I'll just do it myself and let them know. "Hey I just added a runway at XYZ". Usually after the 3rd or 4th leg of me doing that they get the idea and start doing it themselves, which I appreciate.

I'm not in the business of lecturing FOs on how I think they should set up the cockpit, but I do like it set up a certain way. And now I'm in a position where I can have it that way (even if it means doing it myself). A little bit anal? Maybe so. But every skipper has his/her little quirks. At least I recognize that this is one of mine.

What if the FO isn’t a cartel member? Do they get hammered worse? :)

I just throw in the airport, as do all the other pilots, then load the runway in once known for sure, especially with parallel runways. Seems to work fine.
True. Nothing bad is gonna happen if you don't put it in there. But usually I will look at the forecast and decide which direction they are landing, then the STAR will tell you which runway to expect. I will figure out how it works internationally.

True. Nothing bad is gonna happen if you don't put it in there. But usually I will look at the forecast and decide which direction they are landing, then the STAR will tell you which runway to expect. I will figure out how it works internationally.

Doing it either way is fine, I’ve just had a number of times where the runway I thought, became not the one, as well as the STAR we were filed, being changed haha. :)

Doing it either way is fine, I’ve just had a number of times where the runway I thought, became not the one, as well as the STAR we were filed, being changed haha. :)
Haha. Same here. Looking at you Denver. The one that made a huge difference is landing on the 1s in Vegas. If it looked like an option and you didn't have a lot of fuel, I would put that runway in. It would changing the landing fuel by a lot.

Again, speak to me DFW. On the reg.

If you don't have an arrival runway in there, I suppose you could just add another 500-1000 lbs to the estimate? prob not even that

It's not a big deal. I usually get to the plane :45 prior and the FO is usually almost always already onboard and in their seat (which means they've done their flight deck inspection check and initial checks on the overhead panel). I just hop in and start my side of things. If we both show up at the gate at the same time, I just tell the FO go ahead and get his setup and I'll just stay out of the way and brief the FAs in the meantime.

It'll be interesting to see how this bid turns out. -124 LAX Bus Captains and adding only +40 Boeing LAX CAs is gonna be brutal in my base/seat. It's hard to say for SEA. I think (?) you might be okay, as long as you leave no qualifier for the BPL column. I'm hoping people start chasing SFO for better relative seniority.

The way a reduction bid is done does not help. First they let people not being reduced bid into the vacancies then they push people out during the reduction. I'd rate my chances at 50/50.

I will figure out how it works internationally.

Cologne is the bane of my existence. All these freaking noise regs. 220 below 7, but also 180 to five out. Don't drop the gear until 2000AGL, but be stabilized by 1000! All of which would be fine, except they ALSO give you a CDA and the distance you get depends on their traffic and mood. Plus, extra bonus, they'll usually give you one of a billion DK waypoints that aren't on the STAR you would rationally expect, and won't be in the box or even easy to put IN to the box unless you have Tribal Knowledge to expect them. This is from Ze Chermans, who are supposed to make Ze Trains run on Ze Zeit, if nothing else.

Makes me want to take a dump in Gulley's Lederhosen.

Again, speak to me DFW. On the reg.

If you don't have an arrival runway in there, I suppose you could just add another 500-1000 lbs to the estimate? prob not even that

i didn’t think DFW was complicated. south flow gets you 18R/17C North flow 36L/35C
it only gets complicated when traffic gets heavy, then 17L/35R get brought into play and then 13L last.

definitely getting a uptick in 1500 hr pilots but it isn’t any different than from the times when they were 250 hr pilots sitting in the right seat when they reached the line. Most low time new hire pilots are fairly sharp and motivated and do a great job, and then there are a few that need a little bit more maturing. But you could already tell by the first leg. i always let / make the other guy PF if I haven’t flown with them before and by the time we’ve pushed off the gate I have an idea of how comfortable I’ll be with the other guy.

the worst ones are the ones we've hired from South America, they’re the ones that enthusiastically greet you witth and preface everything they say to you with “ Captain!!!!” , and end it with “sir!!!” And every time I ask them for an opinion their answer is “what ever you want Captain… Sir!!!!”

That gets old and I truly want their opinion. I don’t want a yes man as an FO. As I don’t get the warm fuzzy that when I make a mistake they’ll actually bring it to my attention that I am making a mistake. So at some point during the trip I have a talk with them about it. A lot of it is cultural and I can’t change how they perceive “the Captain.” But I do try to impress that yes while I am the captain, in the US it’s because I have the seniority to be a captain, nothing more. I am not a better pilot because I am captain. And that they by the fact they have a 320 PIC type rating they are equally qualified in the FAA’s eyes to sit and fly in the captain seat. the only difference is seniority and that I have been employed by Yellow longer than they have.

Some get it and try to be more forthcoming with their thought processes and opinions. And some don’t and continue to keep buttering my ego and I remain on high guard and double check my work because I’m effectively flying single pilot with no backup.

There's also a limit to that. I see FOs hit FPV on my side, and VSD up on my side for departure. Thank you, but no thank you. Then I have to deselect FPV myself and unless we're departing a terrain threat airport or a SID with many altitude restrictions, I don't want the VSD for departures usually. I like to see the full size map in a closer range for TCAS targets on departure.

Yeah, I was never a fan of touching the other guy’s stuff, either as captain or copilot. We all have different preferences for how our side is setup and the flow we go through to get our side ready, so I just didn’t think it was cool to mess with that.

Now, as far as the FMS, my pet peeve was people who didn’t put in the winds aloft and the arrival. I could do without the expected runway (even though I’d always put it in), but if I had a nickel for every guy who bitched about the VNAV not working well after he didn’t put in the winds aloft, I’d have a hell of a lot of nickels.

Yeah, I was never a fan of touching the other guy’s stuff, either as captain or copilot. We all have different preferences for how our side is setup and the flow we go through to get our side ready, so I just didn’t think it was cool to mess with that.

Now, as far as the FMS, my pet peeve was people who didn’t put in the winds aloft and the arrival. I could do without the expected runway (even though I’d always put it in), but if I had a nickel for every guy who bitched about the VNAV not working well after he didn’t put in the winds aloft, I’d have a hell of a lot of nickels.

And which one of you put “Slow - Dead Slow” on the 717 VNAV climb page ;)

The way a reduction bid is done does not help. First they let people not being reduced bid into the vacancies then they push people out during the reduction. I'd rate my chances at 50/50.

Well if a reduced pilot takes a vacancy spot, he won’t reduce someone else out - his reduction is satisfied because he left. That’s actually better I would think.

The ones reducing will be the ones who bid LAX 320 CA as #1. Those guys will be an unpredictable mess.

oh yeah,.....FPV.....half the time I get in the seat and it is activated. I still haven't found a good use for it. If I had a HUD, id absolutely use it, but it does nothing for me on the PFD. I say that as a velocity vector cripple in my previous (other current) airplane. I guess maybe it would be useful during an F/D off approach to find level flight? I guess I just use the IVSI and looking outside for that.

When I was an FO (so no HUD) I used the FPV on the 76, as I found it very helpful for hand flying. In particular it was useful for level offs.

Okay gotta ask 737 pyloettes, what’s with not putting a runway at the destination airport? Doesn’t the ATIS tell you which way they are landing? If there is a change mid-air, what’s the biggie? What am I missing?

Back