What trends are you seeing in the people going from 1500 to a major?

Can I flip the script and talk about retired airline pilots in corporate aviation? Haha This has been an interesting read. It's an interesting dynamic between SOP, fleet culture, and personal preference. I can imagine that it's a fine line to walk as an FO.

Last edited:
Can I flip the script and talk about retired airline pilots in corporate aviation? Haha This has been an interesting read. It's an interesting dynamic between SOP, fleet culture, and personal preference. I can imagine that it's a fine line to walk as an FO.
I've got some stories. Actually, they're not all negative but there have been a few that are only for in-person, you're-buying, situations.

Some of the worst at XO… at least when I was there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samesies.

That first leg is heavily observational for me. I'll give my co the first leg, go do the walk around and when I get back, if everything is meticulous, complete and they have some questions like "I'm new, what runway do you think we'll get in MCI? I put in…" I know it's going to go great. If I get back and they're still scrolling on TikTok and there's a bunch of un-inserted uplinks and the buffer is full (which means they've been sitting in the MCDU for an extended period while other uplinks have been arriving) it's safe to assume, in most cases, it's going to be a trip where I have to play "disappointed dad".

("Disappointed dad" is kind of an inside joke with a few of my offline friend where you find yourself turning to the person, letting your shoulders down, reluctant glare, take a breath and give the other person the chat about expectations versus performance versus operational priorities and how YOU SHOULD ALREADY FRICKEN KNOW THESE DAMNED THINGS)
Hahahaha, I've been on the end of the disappointed dad doing my IOE. My biggest problem was figuring out what/where clearance said I was going. It was terrible, like first hour after discovery flight as a private pilot terrible on the radios.

Back