What trends are you seeing in the people going from 1500 to a major?

Rosstafari

Likes tacos
For those of you who’ve flown with people who went from 1500 to the right seat of a major, what trends are you seeing from these guys? How they handle training, flight skills, CRM mindsets, soft skills… whatever. Bad and good.

I’ve got a class date coming up in a couple months and want to be one of the good ones. I’m bringing several hundred hours of 135 Pilatus time with me, but… that’s not the same as coming up through a regional.

Sorry if this is a repeat topic (or one fit for The Lav). I’ve mostly lurked these days but haven’t seen it yet.

Good on you for asking. I haven't flown with lower-time guys at the current gig because everyone is older than dirt (including me). When I did fly with lower-time guys, the problems I saw were probably about what you would expect to hear from some old bastard. Difficulty keeping up in a high-workload environment. Definitely some lack of hand-flying skills (although I think in my experience that was less serious than it's sometimes made out to be). Inability to "think outside the box/see the bigger picture". The classic example is the ILS is OTS, but the LOC is working. Why *can't* we do that? Not being comfortable with it is not an acceptable answer to the Bosses.

That said, I never felt that I was saddled with "meat in the seat", and a fair number of those guys showed me stuff in the box I didn't even know existed. When you pass the ride, you're a full-on crewmember, there are no deputies. Speak up, say what you see. Worst case, you learn something, best case, you stop a mistake.

You get both. Flew with a smart young lady who probably knew more then half the experienced folks on the line and flew with those who really should learn to fly for another 1500 hours.

From people I have talked to, the people with low time generally know the avionics and fms well, but struggle with things like descent planning and slowing for approach, etc. Also, I’ve heard of some attitude issues. Otherwise, pretty solid.

From people I have talked to, the people with low time generally know the avionics and fms well, but struggle with things like descent planning and slowing for approach, etc. Also, I’ve heard of some attitude issues. Otherwise, pretty solid.

Could the attitude issues be tied to the generational gap between a mainline CA and FO versus what you would typically see at a regional?

I can add the perspective of one of those low time guys, whatever value that may be.

Didn't come with 1500, but first real “jet job”. Several guys in my class were the 1500hr (1000 even) wonders though, and to my knowledge they're doing/have done fine. To echo whats been said, and ill speak largely of myself and my own limitations; automation, fms, crew, etc are fine and feel pretty solid. Decent planning is certainly tricky, not being able to go down and slow down effectively means it takes a bit of thought exercise, one that always makes me facepalm at how inefficiently my plan alway seems to work out. Hand-flying is fine, but landings and sight picture need work.

Inability to "think outside the box/see the bigger picture".

I think this is what might be lacking. I'm pretty sure it was for me as well initially. I wasn't "low time", but I had no transport category 121 experience. Certain "big picture" things are transferrable, but some "big picture" airline things only exist in the airlines. None of it is hard, but it takes some reps and sets to understand how the whole operation works, and what is important in this little corner of aviation.

Yes, this. Attitude issue is probably the worst. Like, you made it at a young age, have a long career ahead of you, what’s with the attitude?!

IMG_2884.jpeg

For those of you who’ve flown with people who went from 1500 to the right seat of a major, what trends are you seeing from these guys? How they handle training, flight skills, CRM mindsets, soft skills… whatever. Bad and good.

I’ve got a class date coming up in a couple months and want to be one of the good ones. I’m bringing several hundred hours of 135 Pilatus time with me, but… that’s not the same as coming up through a regional.

Sorry if this is a repeat topic (or one fit for The Lav). I’ve mostly lurked these days but haven’t seen it yet.

I've training some low time pilots, it all depends. Some are super sharp, some aren't, Mature low time pilots generally did well on OE, immature low time pilots, I'd have to talk about "lets keep your seatbelt fastened while in a control seat", "get off the internet", "0630 means the van leaves at 0630, not 0633 because 'bruh, the line starbucks was out of pocket, bruh!'.

It all depends,

I've training some low time pilots, it all depends. Some are super sharp, some aren't, Mature low time pilots generally did well on OE, immature low time pilots, I'd have to talk about "lets keep your seatbelt fastened while in a control seat", "get off the internet", "0630 means the van leaves at 0630, not 0633 because 'bruh, the line starbucks was out of pocket, bruh!'.

It all depends,
The fact you had to say “get off the internet” on OE…ughhhhhhh

Is this age, or hours? Asking for a friend :)

Back