Someone else has made it to Southern Jets

It was fun! :)

Well, there's a good number of people that got "run off" because they grew tired of the constant din of doubt on issues where they were subject matter experts, but they're still friends to me. BUT now the community loses the benefit of their perspective and I still have access to them and they're still friends.

As social media expanded, the dynamics shifted where "Hey, I did something good" and getting shouted down or literally, "When I was a flight test pilot and aeronautical engineer at Boeing" "You're mean because you contradicted when I read on the internet" — people just tire of that and leave one of the circles.

Honestly, there are things I've love to share but I think "Wow, I know exactly who will talk smack, I know exactly those that are going to call me a braggart and I know the other people that are going to think I'm an arrogant ass, let me just share that with a tight, curated group of people" because even I don't want to deal with it sometimes… and I built the site.

Hopefully my problematic Venn diagram will elucidate why certain people know certain things that other people tend to know, and also an instructional guide on how to get in and stay in that circle.

Every group of humans with common interests has this. Online or offline.

Reactions: JEP
For version 1.1 I recommend another circle that depicts the less-public networking. E.g, group texts, conversations in the lounge, volunteer events, etc. It feels weird to (over)analyze it, but those are also valued venues for networking with people where the social part is ancillary to some other common purpose. Because you generally gotta have a reason to be there or be invited it can seem clannish to people who haven't figured out how where they fit.

Also this week is the centenary of John Venn's passing.

View: https://twitter.com/pmb1000/status/1563616926215307265?s=20

Duly noted!

I will put v1.1 on the 'to do' list. Because I know, eventually, there will be those that said "but your Venn Diagram said…" and they're going to probably be right because I overlooked something in my haste to produce it.

I certainly hope no one is paying attention to your diagram to the point where they would reference it and complain. Who cares?

I do. As well do you because you've been clicking the hell out of this thread! :)

Webmaster sees alllllll...

If you truly “see all,” then you see that I skipped right by your diagram and didn’t even glance at it.

I don't have Google eye tracking… yet, but you certainly opened the attachment and it sat on your browser for 4 minutes, 32 seconds.

The ads even regenerated.

I'm probably a bad person to argue with about user activity on the forum because it doesn't take much effort to drop a cookie in a post to gather extended metrics on forum activity, just like the honeypot thread from a few weeks ago.

I don't have Google eye tracking… yet, but you certainly opened the attachment and it sat on your page for 4 minutes, 32 seconds.

But ok! :) The ads even rolled over.

I wonder how many people here realize that you lie to them in your attempts to attack the people you don’t like?

oX6Ihpf.jpg

I wonder how many people here realize that you lie to them in your attempts to attack the people you don’t like?

The microphone is yours, share with me where you feel I have mislead you? Please be explicit.

And I like you Todd. Else I'd have gotten rid of you years ago by leaving you banned.

Who do you think reversed those decisions at the cost of a number of moderators AND users who just got tired of your storms of negative behavior over the years? Me.

If I didn't like you Todd, you wouldn't be on my forum. Know this.

I don't need to push you out, I can just go 'click'. But I like you so I don't.

I should take your lunch money too! :)

Last edited:
The microphone is yours, share with me where you feel I have mislead you? Please be explicit.

Your claim that I looked at your diagram for more than a split second is a straight up lie. It did not happen. Period. Very similar to your constant claims that @Cherokee_Cruiser has an app in at Delta when he hasn’t in years. Sorry, man, it’s a pattern.

And I like you Todd. Else I'd have gotten rid of you years ago by leaving you banned.

Who do you think reversed those decision at the cost of a number of moderators AND users who just got tired of your storms of negative behavior over the years?

If I didn't like you Todd, you wouldn't be on my forum. Know this.

I think it’s it’s about clicks, views, and engagement. But if I’m wrong, you sure have a strange way of showing it.

Frankly, you’ve created an environment here that is uber cliquish, as well as being extremely inhospitable to anyone who isn’t super socially progressive. And a large part of that is how you yourself interact with people who disagree with your views.

@Cherokee_Cruiser actually participates in the aviation side. He's probably a bad example to call on the Bat Phone to drag into the conversation.

He's never done anything to get timed out and understands the lines of acceptable behavior. The guy is out-to-lunch on many topics, but at the end of the day, the user group finds him fun to volley with AND he leaves quite a bit in the aviation topic kitty. At the end of the day, if you have questions about Alaska, or Virgin, the 737 or the Airbus, he willingly provides and helps. And he's not "above" having a lunch if requested. He drives a lot of people nuts, but he's funny in a weird way.

I can't fault him for being goofy, but I can fault you for being outright mean to people for no good measure.

Try Qutch instead. I don't think anyone really knew what his attraction to JC, if he was involved in aviation or what his purpose was beyond the ".." and wanting to argue about everything. I let him go because he was disruptive and made me not want to log onto my own forum. And if I don't want to log into my own forum, like hell anyone else does.

@Cherokee_Cruiser actually participates in the aviation side. He's probably a bad example to call on the Bat Phone to drag into the conversation.

He's never done anything to get timed out and understands the lines of acceptable behavior. The guy is out-to-lunch on many topics, but at the end of the day, the user group finds him fun to volley with AND he leaves quite a bit in the aviation topic kitty. At the end of the day, if you have questions about Alaska, or Virgin, the 737 or the Airbus, he willingly provides and helps. And he's not "above" having a lunch if requested. He drives a lot of people nuts, but he's funny in a weird way.

I can't fault him for being goofy, but I can fault you for being outright mean to people for no good measure.

Try Qutch instead. I don't think anyone really knew what his attraction to JC, if he was involved in aviation or what his purpose was beyond the ".." and wanting to argue about everything. I let him go because he was disruptive and made me not want to log onto my own forum. And if I don't want to log into my own forum, like hell anyone else does.

F771D5AC-4A19-4D12-BC07-2333BCF8EA8F.jpeg

Frankly, you’ve created an environment here that is uber cliquish, as well as being extremely inhospitable to anyone who isn’t super socially progressive. And a large part of that is how you yourself interact with people who disagree with your views.

"Cliquish," meaning what? A bunch of people that know each other? I do have some great friends that I've met directly, or indirectly from here. Including you. And you are someone I really do like and care about in real life.

I'm not sure what "inhospitable to anyone who isn't socially progressive" means, but I do understand that inclusion and diversity are values that are at least encouraged or appreciated here. They should be. Those are decent things - what I would do, what Jesus would do, what I think the guy that runs this website would do. And I sit here in Florida, where a lot of those people feel like they are in the crosshairs of not being treated hospitably. And I don't think they are wrong.

"Cliquish," meaning what? A bunch of people that know each other? I do have some great friends that I've met directly, or indirectly from here. Including you. And you are someone I really do like and care about in real life.

I'm not sure what "inhospitable to anyone who isn't socially progressive" means, but I do understand that inclusion and diversity are values that are at least encouraged or appreciated here. They should be. Those are decent things - what I would do, what Jesus would do, what I think the guy that runs this website would do. And I sit here in Florida, where a lot of those people feel like they are in the crosshairs of not being treated hospitably. And I don't think they are wrong.

I won't speak for him, but I imagine his point is that this forum has a particular political slant, as a whole. I personally think it makes for good discourse, but that is only when people are behaving (which isn't always the case).

I think you know what I mean. A bunch of people who know each other isn’t a clique. A group of people who know each other and exclude others is.

And that’s the problem. You believe you’re right and will therefore force your views on everyone else. Anyone who speaks from a more conservative social position is to be shouted down and pushed out. Don’t you think it’s awfully odd that professional pilots are somewhere around 80% hardcore conservatives but there are essentially none of them here?

Your claim that I looked at your diagram for more than a split second is a straight up lie. It did not happen. Period. Very similar to your constant claims that @Cherokee_Cruiser has an app in at Delta when he hasn’t in years. Sorry, man, it’s a pattern.

I think it’s it’s about clicks, views, and engagement. But if I’m wrong, you sure have a strange way of showing it.

Stahp it you two! I only have one rose to give. :)

Back