Someone else has made it to Southern Jets

A simple congrats to a fellow member becomes an opportunity for another member to interject their opinion when not really appropriate. Oh how this forum has become such an accurate sample size of society today.

Congratulations to the person that is starting at what is probably a dream job. May it be all you hoped for, whoever you are.

For the record, it isn't me, but I'm glad to see someone get rewarded and recognized for their efforts.

Last edited:
Clearly you didn't notice that I EXPLICITLY STATED that.

My comment was NOT personal at all. I'm talking about the Ocean, not the Fish.

Jeebus, some of you mighty Captains are awfully sensitive flowers with less than adequate reading skills.

When we're giving a user you don't know a standing ovation, then you go on some non sequitur diatribe, we're not "sensitive flowers", you were being selfish by thinking this had anything to do with you on a personal level.

Sometimes it's best to clap and reserve the editorial comments.

Ok, reading Form’s post, I can see where many took offense.

That said, I don’t see the point of these random call-outs for an announcement. It’s been 3 days now and the guy in question hasn’t come on and said yup, it’s me, thanks for all the congrats! So… what’s the point of this thread? Hey, here’s an ode to a random guy only a couple people know. If a guy isn’t willing to publicly announce himself and take credit, it should be kept hidden right? I called an upgrade and it blew up cause the guy didn’t want it known. So now the assumption is the guy in question doesn’t mind this thread being created, why not just come say hi? Otherwise it’s a strictly JC bro feel to it.

When we're giving a user you don't know a standing ovation, then you go on some non sequitur diatribe, we're not "sensitive flowers", you were being selfish by thinking this had anything to do with you on a personal level.

Sometimes it's best to clap and reserve the editorial comments.
Copy. Already acknowledged in a previous post. For any hint of an ad homimen, mea culpa, and I'm sorry. I'll make my larger points elsewhere from now on.

That said, I don’t see the point of these random call-outs for an announcement. It’s been 3 days now and the guy in question hasn’t come on and said yup, it’s me, thanks for all the congrats! So… what’s the point of this thread? Hey, here’s an ode to a random guy only a couple people know. If a guy isn’t willing to publicly announce himself and take credit, it should be kept hidden right? I called an upgrade and it blew up cause the guy didn’t want it known. So now the assumption is the guy in question doesn’t mind this thread being created, why not just come say hi? Otherwise it’s a strictly JC bro feel to it.
You don't understand how to celebrate an individual's accomplishments without knowing who it is? Color me...unsurprised.

You have a history of being a complete jerk towards me and when you mentioned the upgrade you weren't congratulating me you were just being a jerk and trying to prove a point.

I upgraded as soon as I could because of the factual problems that I have pointed out here. These are also the things that you have mocked me for.

There isn't really a comparison here. You should just own being a jerk.

That said, I don’t see the point of these random call-outs for an announcement. It’s been 3 days now and the guy in question hasn’t come on and said yup, it’s me, thanks for all the congrats! So… what’s the point of this thread?

There's a pretty long history here of "congrats to anonymous for now," but someone might want not want to be named until they are done with training/moving/whatever first. Superstition? Humility? Does it matter? Their friends probably/certainly know. Whatever, be happy for them. None of us are friends with everyone.

But anyway, just for you -- I've decided to give up my "tech bro" silicon valley life and fly aviation appliances. And I'll make a public post here with where I'm flying, how I am doing in training events I fear completing, and how it turns my life upside down. Do I want to share that? Of course not. Does it change my life telling everyone? Not really. When I write about those experiences here, will you say it is pointless? Probably. Or not, I hope I'm wrong.

There's a pretty long history here of "congrats to anonymous for now," but someone might want not want to be named until they are done with training/moving/whatever first. Superstition? Humility? Does it matter? Their friends probably/certainly know. Whatever, be happy for them. None of us are friends with everyone.

But anyway, just for you -- I've decided to give up my "tech bro" silicon valley life and fly aviation appliances. And I'll make a public post here with where I'm flying, how I am doing in training events I fear completing, and how it turns my life upside down. Do I want to share that? Of course not. Does it change my life telling everyone? Not really. When I write about those experiences here, will you say it is pointless? Probably. Or not, I hope I'm wrong.

And I’ll look forward to hearing about your new job once you share it. Not pointless when you yourself are writing about your own experience.

There's a pretty long history here of "congrats to anonymous for now," but someone might want not want to be named until they are done with training/moving/whatever first.

Great, so don’t say anything at all, then. It’s silly and annoying. It reeks of “we’re part of the secret JC club and you’re not!”

Great, so don’t say anything at all, then. It’s silly and annoying. It reeks of “we’re part of the secret JC club and you’re not!”
flashback to the “decoder ring” era

Congrats to whoever!

Some of y’all really need to take a step back and do some introspection. seriously. Can’t even keep from bickering on a congrats thread for somebody who made it to a top Air Line.

To whoever it is:

Congrats! I sincerely mean this. It's a huge accomplishment to hit a Major Airline and especially the top one. Some bit of luck may be involved, but it is mostly hard work, nose to the grinder, not losing focus, being goal oriented, patience, working and making contacts, paying dues, etc. and all of this has taken years. Who knows how many up rooting of your home has happened. Remember, you deserve this. You earned it. Pay attention, apply yourself, let yourself be mentored by decent senior pilots- pick their brains, work hard, ignore any b.s., always, always be kind to and take care of your cabin crew because they will have your back if you do. Be nice/professional to everyone. But most of all, enjoy yourself and have fun!! Things will only get better from here on out. -----------Gerry

Last edited:

Incorrect. And I think it's more accurate to say "it's silly and annoying for me" as no one else appears to have a problem or are self-aware enough to keep their personal feelings to themselves and let the person in question enjoy a little fanfare.

The people who need to know, already know. It's not because it's a secret cabal and honestly, I should have kept my mouth shut but I'm tremendously happy for him and he needs to know, in the words of the President (then VP): "This is a big effing deal".

Here's the "behind baseball":

While I'm celebrating him getting hired, I have zero idea if someone else on the forum helped him get to where he currently is. So the "welcome to MY" team may be misinterpreted to the person that may have helped him as "My Tribe > Your Tribe" and it's not accurate nor do I want that because we need people across the spectra helping one another achieve their career ambitions and I run the risk of alienating A LOT of people.

Now he's an adult and a professional who has an appreciation for the shout-out, but also an appreciation for discretion so he can make sure his situation is clean and tidy in his professional circles and has the chance to be sure there is no animosity with his colleagues and anyone who helped him.

A personal story, I went to bat for a person a few years ago pretty hard, got them in front of the right people, shook the right hands, lobbied hard to get them scheduled for an interview and they got the job. Indoc went well, training went well, IOE started and then I straight-up got "ghosted" for about six months after IOE. Then on social media I found out that they had just finished indoc at another airline and didn't think it was important to say "I took another opportunity" or even acknowledge the efforts I went through to make sure they had an opportunity at my airline.

Congratulations are in order for our friend, but if I'm not careful with it, it may be a slap in the face of someone else who helped him. Anonymity provides that ability for him to steer any potential conversations he needs to have with timing that he decides.

Last edited:
Back