Age 67

A 2 yr pause? We retire like 30-40 people a year for this timeframe. No big loss.

No roasting. Some just don’t like the truth.

One way or another Age 67 will come. You’d be a fool to think it won’t. The same way the 1500 hr rule will be changing someday as well. We need these changes because the manpower just isn’t there. Oh wait, sorry, peoplepower. Not enough want to do this job, traditional pipelines are very low (eg, military). 500-750 hrs and Age 67. We’ll see it this decade - IMO.

I’ll agree with you on one thing: “not enough want to do this job.”

Do you think that maybe the industry should try and fix some of the issues that have made it a job “not enough” want to do?

Rather than just make worse for those already in the profession, watching in disbelief as the ladder gets yeeted away yet again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think that maybe the industry should try and fix some of the issues that have made it a job “not enough” want to do?

Rather than just make worse for those already in the profession, watching in disbelief as the ladder gets yeeted away yet again?

Agreed. But in the meantime, this allows the current work force (those who choose to) work longer and therefore keep current workers in the force during a shortage.

My .02 cents… And this may have already been said but I don’t want to read the past 5 pages.

This doesn’t seem like it will do much. In fact, I’d wager that the legacy airlines do not want age 67. This provides enhanced opportunity for those who go out on LTD and it creates a sleuth of other issues if the international laws don’t change. It would require negotiating with labor to find a solution for potential displacements and vacancies. It would be an absolute mess and very little would be gained.

That being said it may provide some temporary reprieve for the LCCs and ACMIs. But if history tells us anything, it’s that you can give an industry 5 years to come up with viable solutions to looming problems and they’ll take 4 years and 364 days before they start complaining to the Congress critters. If our government buys these corporation more time (an almost useless amount for the legacies) and they still do nothing to actually fix this situation then what?

Why bother fixing when you could just kick the can down the road? Pretty much "Murca!" through and through.

It’s just enough to prop up the industry until the next economic downturn. It’s another disaster in a long cycle of disasters for how horrible this career is for those of us who stay in. It will make staffing even worse long term. Since the trend of those electing to not become a professional pilot will accelerate.

It’s just enough to prop up the industry until the next economic downturn. It’s another disaster in a long cycle of disasters for how horrible this career is for those of us who stay in. It will make staffing even worse long term. Since the trend of those electing to not become a professional pilot will accelerate.

God you are a very miserable person aren’t you? No wonder you rub half this forum the wrong way.

My dad taught me that for most pilots this is a job not a career. If you look at it like that it’s really not that bad.

I don't say this to be snarky and I know it's not super easy, but have you thought about or are you making plans to do something else? I can't see being as unhappy as you seem to be without planning to do something about it and pursuing something else to pay the bills.
I used to not get it, but the longer I'm in the career I can see why it isn't necessarily for everyone.

I met a guy yesterday who fly's a Pilatus making over six figures, week on, week off, out of a smaller town in E Oregon. Loves it. He flew 767's for a small contract 121 and hated it. I think a lot depends on what you are doing. For sure, flying big jets around 2 two weeks on isn't for everyone. Neither is flying Air Ambo in a Pilatus.

I met a guy yesterday who fly's a Pilatus making over six figures, week on, week off, out of a smaller town in E Oregon. Loves it. He flew 767's for a small contract 121 and hated it. I think a lot depends on what you are doing. For sure, flying big jets around 2 two weeks on isn't for everyone. Neither is flying Air Ambo in a Pilatus.
Lifeflight network?

Extending the retirement age isn't going to impact the 'shortage'.

It's just like saying "Oh, lets build a 2 foot taller Hoover Dam to capture more Colorado River water" during a drought. It'll make some construction workers and engineers happy but at the end of the day, it's ridiculous.

Aviation expanded just as the generation of young people that saw the decimation of the airline business, military pilots going to drones en masse and GA got gutted, so the $100 hamburger is really more like $500 and no one is going to loan you money for it.

"Hey kids, go sink $100K+ in college, then another $100K+ in flight training, find some way of meeting regional minimums with most of the traditional timebuilding method are extinct, and hopefully fly a CRJ one day if you get the time"

Increasing the retirement age because of the shortage is basically like me telling my parents "Yeah, I need a PS5 ...for college... There are a lot of interactive learning experiences available on the PlayStation Network that will REALLY help me in my studies".

So many kids come to the cockpit, I show them around, talk about their ambitions and a lot of them just want to look at the lights, marvel at the buttons and take a selfie for social media. "Have you considered aviation as a career?" "Oh god no"

I have a nagging suspicion I just repeated myself! LOL

I will say, it sounds idyllic, but having done it for almost that much money, flying a Pilatus week on week off isn’t the be all end all. There are reasons most of those gigs can’t keep pilots either. Even the hometown boys and girls who don’t seem to have shiny jet syndrome end up bailing eventually. I mean shoot you’d have expected @alaskadrifter to retire flying a Van out of DLG but now he’s twiddling a sidestick and eating off a tray table (at least I think I saw that before I deleted the ‘gram)

I don't say this to be snarky and I know it's not super easy, but have you thought about or are you making plans to do something else? I can't see being as unhappy as you seem to be without planning to do something about it and pursuing something else to pay the bills.
I used to not get it, but the longer I'm in the career I can see why it isn't necessarily for everyone.

9/11, 2008, age 65 and just as pilots are starting to gain leverage to make this job a bit more tolerable we get age 67.

But yeah I’m the problem… OK

9/11, 2008, age 65 and just as pilots are starting to gain leverage to make this job a bit more tolerable we get age 67.

But yeah I’m the problem… OK

Did you mean to quote someone else? Jordan was being considerate and genuine. It doesn’t look like your response has anything to do with his post.

Back