Age 67

The most quintessential @Cherokee_Cruiser post ever. “Screw you, I’ve got mine now. Even though I remember how I got screwed, I’m gonna do the same kind of screwing to other people now. Because I’m all that ever matters.”

Bingo.

What’s hilarious is that people presume they’re going to (a) live until 67 (average age of a dead Delta pilot is 66.49 years and the average pension draw at a major freight carriier is a little under three years) (b) they’re going to stay medically qualified and (c) that they’re going to have any interest in working that long because, when you retire, you might not be in any condition to do anything more than sit on the couch and watch the Price Is Right.

Bingo.

What’s hilarious is that people presume they’re going to (a) live until 67 (average age of a dead Delta pilot is 66.49 years and the average pension draw at a major freight carriier is a little under three years) (b) they’re going to stay medically qualified and (c) that they’re going to have any interest in working that long because, when you retire, you might not be in any condition to do anything more than sit on the couch and watch the Price Is Right.

Over here at Hot Dog on a Stick all these guys have is their job, trying to get more premium, and the rare day off to join a mob and break into the Capital. If it’s raised to 67, I suspect every able bodied pilot will keep flying until the bitter end.

Not too many guys have plans post retirement.

When Age 65 passed back in the day, were those who had passed Age 60 (but were below 65) already, allowed to now go back to 121 flying? Or was it that if you’d already been retired due to age 60, you were done…….couldn’t take anything retroactive?

Over here at Hot Dog on a Stick all these guys have is their job, trying to get more premium, and the rare day off to join a mob and break into the Capital. If it’s raised to 67, I suspect every able bodied pilot will keep flying until the bitter end.

Sheesh, I enjoy all five of my jobs and still I assess myself every morning “Is today the day I just stop going?” :)

What a nice divisive hand grenade to have thrown into the middle of an industry that is almost entirely in contract negotiations. When I went to the right seat of “quasi widebody international fleet” I was surprised at the amount of captains that think younger pilots have some sort of magic key to pension restoration that they refuse to use. Almost all of them wanted a retirement age raise/abolishment. If it does go to 67 I expect it not to make a huge difference though. Nothing will make a widebody captain recognize they can afford to retire at 65 like a few months of domestic narrowbody schedules.

The cult demands devotion……

When Age 65 passed back in the day, were those who had passed Age 60 (but were below 65) already, allowed to now go back to 121 flying? Or was it that if you’d already been retired due to age 60, you were done…….couldn’t take anything retroactive?

Nope. That would be absolute donkey kong. Do you displace the pilots that bid into those seats and re-bid the entire airline (1 widebody move affects 10 to 15 other moves downstream), displace, retrain, clog the training department — so you’re bringing back Jimmy for two more years of glory while delaying a pilot who may have decades left to get an RO…

Lindsay Graham should be more concerned about getting subpoenaed in Georgia and less pandering to a small handful of his constituents.

What a nice divisive hand grenade to have thrown into the middle of an industry that is almost entirely in contract negotiations. When I went to the right seat of “quasi widebody international fleet” I was surprised at the amount of captains that think younger pilots have some sort of magic key to pension restoration that they refuse to use. Almost all of them wanted a retirement age raise/abolishment. If it does go to 67 I expect it not to make a huge difference though. Nothing will make a widebody captain recognize they can afford to retire at 65 like a few months of domestic narrowbody schedules.

Some captain ‘instructed me” to tell my new hire first officers about how they needed to bring the pension back.

After I stopped laughing about a stranger walking up to me, somehow knowing I was flight standards pilot and instructing me on subject matter, I wanted to bring up how this 20-something year old probably has parents who got rocked during a few financial crises, watched as ENRON and Lehman Brothers dissolved billions during a commercial break and his ”starter home” is going to cost $500K AND he’s still servicing six figures in college debt, how that 64 year old 330 captain wants him to sacrifice for him was a bridge too far.

“this generation is soft, everyone is lazy and they’re just on their phones all the time”

literally raised the generation

sorry in advance, @Bob Ridpath

It's all good. No practical purpose to it but I still hope one day to show up at a Vegas NJC driving my walker one day to meet some of you in person. You have entertained me, enlightened me and taught me things I never honestly needed to know. Likely a pipe dream but I think fondly of this place. It got me through some dark times.

I thought it would be worth noting exactly which companies make up the lobbying groups referenced by Graham et al. as the driving force behind this crusade - namely the Regional Airline Association (RAA) and National Air Carrier Association (NACA). Lists are in the dropdown boxes below to avoid a wall of text:

• Air Wisconsin Airlines
  • Cape Air
  • CommutAir
  • Empire Airlines
  • Endeavor Air
  • Envoy Air
  • GoJet
  • Horizon Air
  • Jazz Air
  • Mesa Air Group
  • New England Airlines
  • Piedmont Airlines
  • PSA Airlines
  • Ravn Alaska
  • Republic Airline
  • SkyWest Airlines

• Air Transport International
  • Amerijet
  • Allegiant Air
  • Atlas Air
  • Avelo Air
  • Breeze Airways
  • Everts Air Cargo
  • Frontier Airlines
  • GlobalX
  • iAero Airways
  • Kalitta Air
  • Lynden Air Cargo
  • Miami Air International
  • National Airlines
  • Northern Air Cargo
  • Omni Air International
  • Spirit Airlines
  • Sun Country Airlines
  • USA Jet Airlines
  • Western Global Airlines
  • World Atlantic Airlines

Conspicuously absent from Graham's cited muses are the legacies and big box haulers - those most acutely affected by the demographic crunch. What the lists contain instead are dozens of carriers who either right now or for decades in the past have proudly whipsawed, demoralized, threatened and otherwise browbeaten experienced pilots into treating their companies as stepping stones and fallback jobs. Most of us will find current or former employers among them.

These companies are not being directly hobbled by the Age 65 cliff, but for SOME REASON are unable to stem the tide of people beating the door down to leave for those companies that are. Seem to have a much easier time paying into legislators' pet §527 funds, however.

Of course, we couldn't introduce this critically important bill without making sure we all know exactly who is responsible for getting the country into this mess:

“And to the pilot unions out there, you’re doing a disservice to the traveling public…” - Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

Last edited:
They were not allowed to go back unless they were still on the property as an F/E. You could go to 70 as an F/E so some guys stayed on the list after 60 that way. Then, if they were still on the list, they were allowed to bid back to a front seat that they their seniority could hold after the age changed to 65. I remember some controversy over that. But once you are retired, and off the list, you are done.

Last edited:
"And to the pilot unions out there, you’re doing a disservice to the traveling public…” - Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

The halls of Congress MIGHT be the last bastion wherein old senile guys/gals just can't let go and believe they are as sharp as perhaps they once were 30 years ago.

In the real world, there is such as thing as cognitive dissonance, slower reflexes, longer thought processes before acting, and so forth - all that come with the inevitable passing of time. For a person well-past their prime to be flying passengers around is the real disservice to the traveling public, in my opinion.

Will it generally be OK? Sure ... until it's not.

Very few of us want to "hang it up" but - especially in a heavy workload environment with oft-times the potential for a poor outcome, it might be best to recognize there is a legitimate time to say "So long" - and it's not just before the impact which leaves a smoking hole and a lot of broken hearts.

Just sayin' and, as always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Back