Age 67

Doing that is a sure way to be VFR-direct chitcanned from this forum. No second chance. That is exactly what got user Velocipede (also Alaska) booted, after what he did to CalCapt.

It seems like CC leap of logic that I would turn someone into prostans for reasons I can't even fathom would probably just get me on prostans radar as a complete idiot. There would be no consequences for CC at all. Prostands has no teeth. They have told me directly you can just not call them back and it wont even matter. Not that they would do anything other than recommend that pilots stay off of forums. Which is probably a good idea.

Of course this is all one really strange dude's leap of logic. I'm not going to try and understand it. Just point out that it makes zero sense at all.

Good luck to you all. I will apparently be a captain February 1. May you all receive a pony. Age 67 will be great for your careers. Nothing can go wrong.

Feel like there’s a lot better ways to bring up how we can make QOL and work conditions better than simply stating well age 67 is going to be another nail in our coffins of misery, •tiest job in the world that is only deemed to get much worse and miserable.

then a few posts later talk about how anyone responding anything else is just head in the sand. Hey you do you. What a way to enjoy our life and job field. Hell you can die tomorrow, medical out tomorrow, who knows. Such a positive outlook and mindset Of some of the great things about this industry. But hey, nah you’re totally cool and chill and happy in the outside world away from the forums.How could any of us doubt otherwise despite years of similar post history as this.

So far to stop age 67 I've:

- Continued to donate to the ALPA PAC which is opposed to age 67
- Written all of my elected representatives to ask that they oppose age 67
- Written on JC that we should be opposed to age 67 hoping that some of you would do, something. Something to make this career better.

Apparently, that makes me miserable in your eyes. Which is totally fine.

Is it that difficult to just have a pleasant, enjoyable flight? Apparently for some in the business, it’s nearly impossible it would seem.
I work for what is perceived to be a very disgruntled airline, and I don’t see anything like this. Pretty much everyone is happy or happy enough. I also don’t stoke complaining embers either.

So far to stop age 67 I've:

- Continued to donate to the ALPA PAC which is opposed to age 67
- Written all of my elected representatives to ask that they oppose age 67
- Written on JC that we should be opposed to age 67 hoping that some of you would do, something. Something to make this career better.

Apparently, that makes me miserable in your eyes. Which is totally fine.
Save the gaslighting for someone stupid enough to listen, lol

It seems like CC leap of logic that I would turn someone into prostans for reasons I can't even fathom would probably just get me on prostans radar as a complete idiot. There would be no consequences for CC at all. Prostands has no teeth. They have told me directly you can just not call them back and it wont even matter. Not that they would do anything other than recommend that pilots stay off of forums. Which is probably a good idea.

Of course this is all one really strange dude's leap of logic. I'm not going to try and understand it. Just point out that it makes zero sense at all.

Good luck to you all. I will apparently be a captain February 1. May you all receive a pony. Age 67 will be great for your careers. Nothing can go wrong.

i wasn’t implying that anyone would be doing anything of the kind. Was only saying that anything like that wouldn’t be looked at highly and what has happened in the past, which I’m sure you remember. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that anyone currently on this board is that way. Velocipede was a very unusual individual.

I mean, how else am I supposed to take this post below? Maybe I read you wrong. I saw that as going to pro stans (or worse, management). Maybe you just meant JC mods. I don’t know, but I’ve seen enough crazy stuff over pilot forums that my radar goes up when I see a threat inbound.

“You’re doing some Olympic level mental gymnastics by bringing something entirely unrelated to the topic in order to make this about me. Tone it down brosif. Or we are both somehow gonna told to stop attacking each other (shrug)…”

I mean, how else am I supposed to take this post below? Maybe I read you wrong. I saw that as going to pro stans (or worse, management). Maybe you just meant JC mods. I don’t know, but I’ve seen enough crazy stuff over pilot forums that my radar goes up when I see a threat inbound.

“You’re doing some Olympic level mental gymnastics by bringing something entirely unrelated to the topic in order to make this about me. Tone it down brosif. Or we are both somehow gonna told to stop attacking each other (shrug)…”

I won't get into what kind of unhinged posts you've made after quoting what I've said in the past but yeah its pretty nutty. We do find ourselves being told by people on JC to to stop attacking each other. I think we (you) are about to start doing it again.

See how good I am at CRM...

i wasn’t implying that anyone would be doing anything of the kind. Was only saying that anything like that wouldn’t be looked at highly and what has happened in the past, which I’m sure you remember. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that anyone currently on this board is that way. Velocipede was a very unusual individual.

No worries. I actually don't remember anything about Velocipede or that incident.

Doing that is a sure way to be VFR-direct chitcanned from this forum. No second chance. That is exactly what got user Velocipede (also Alaska) booted, after what he did to CalCapt.

I don’t remember that story! I do remember velocipede, he was one miserable person. I remember how much he hated VX. I would have like to see him in 2016 and now that it’s all one as Alaska. Anyway, I don’t recall what he did to CalCapt but sadly I think CalCapt is one of those ol timers that drifted away from us. It’s truly sad if something velocipede did caused it.

I don’t remember that story! I do remember velocipede, he was one miserable person. I remember how much he hated VX. I would have like to see him in 2016 and now that it’s all one as Alaska. Anyway, I don’t recall what he did to CalCapt but sadly I think CalCapt is one of those ol timers that drifted away from us. It’s truly sad if something velocipede did caused it.

Was a big to-do with CalCapt and Toria, Qgar, and Velo. Jealousy, hurt feelings, relationship triangles/squares, etc, etc, over a good period of time, about a year or so. Then CalCapt posted a story of one of his flights in south Texas that had some dicey moments. Velo took that and reported it to Continental management, which forced CalCapt to have to do a carpet dance in managements office both for the incident as well as identifiable public postings. Wasn’t pretty, and it got Velo booted from here with catlike quickness. And yes, Jeff was one miserable, angry person, always going on and on about who he‘s going to deny in his jumpseat blah blah..

My “tuppence-ha’penny” worth from the other side of the pond…
  • 67 or higher is coming (some time)
  • ICAO will adopt whatever the majority agree on.
  • France (and the US?) will be different…
There are two separate issues, inconveniently intertwined: age & seniority.
  1. The age issue is about personal rights - “why should I be grounded, if I can still hold a medical?”
  2. The seniority issue appears to be the more contentious part, relating to collective rights - “why am I being blocked from advancement/promotion for two more years?” with an arbitrary change of CBA.
I won’t even try to address the latter, as it has been so eloquently & enthusiastically addressed before.

On the issue of age alone, a couple of comments:
As a potential entrant (at age 59) at the bottom of any seniority list, the chance of 8 versus 6 more years would be appreciated, and doesn’t disadvantage anyone.
Having already been forcibly retired at age 57, it would take a pretty high bar to tempt me back to the bottom of any seniority list. This is the kind of stimulus that would tend to increase collective bargaining/reward rather than suppressing it.

Whether you support or oppose any age increase, make sure you hit the right target! Too often as a profession, we have scored a spectacular “own goal”.

Good luck.

With all due respect, things sound absolutely terrible across the pond and I hope this career in the U.S. never turns into what it is in Europe.

Europe, UK and the Middle-East all seem to be in a terminal slide to the bottom of the barrel.

The US pilot market is stronger in many respects and will hold out for considerably longer. My guess is that anyone currently working in 121 will see out a full career without too much disruption, but those coming up to ATP-level now will see significant changes, partly due to their lack of seniority.

Some people will never be happy. I’m not gonna say much because I see him being a guy who would take me to pro stans over hurt feelings on a forum, so I’out of this.

All I’ll say Beefy is with 96 new net CAs on this new vacancy, you’re probably gonna get the Capt upgrade. When you do please be a better person, your FOs will appreciate it.

In a separate story, rumor is on an exit interview, more than FO said they were treated borderline (bad) by a CA, with the subject of why are you still here, why don’t you have apps out, why would you come here, you know you can make more by going elsewhere, you must have been desperate to come here, etc etc.

Like borderline berating. I wish people would just STHU about a decision to come work here - or anywhere. The way I look at it is this: this isn’t an entry level airline. If you are a new FO here, you were prior military, regional, or corporate. In other words it’s not your first rodeo and you came here knowing what you are coming to: Soon 737 only, 5 west coast bases, no widebodies, etc.

So why punch down on new FOs? I don’t get it. People need to keep their miserableness to themselves. Honestly, it sounds like a self reflection and realization for the CA that he’s stuck and can’t leave with too much seniority so they take it out on the FO.

I wouldn’t be so sure that the upgrade time will change much from where it is now even with the vacancies. Still lots of displacements and senior FOs who may see a contract on the horizon and choose to upgrade anticipating improved reserve rules, pay, etc. I’d put the chances of downgrades a little lower in this bid but still fairly likely.

Honestly I don’t think the debate should be centered around seniority politics. First this should be a discussion on safety, and maybe the FAA should rethink their approach on health (especially mental). For the record I’m against it, I don’t think first class medicals test mental acuity well enough to extend the age.

“I still like I got a few good years left”

isn’t the way we should want people to go off into retirement? We don’t want people sticking around who later find out they should’ve retired earlier and don’t have it anymore? (And it will likely not be the individual noticing they don’t have it anymore).

Everyone needs to relax a wee bit. Life is good. Do you still have a healthy set of lungs and limbs that allow you to do a job that very few can do? Are you sitting a carrier that pays you a healthy portion of money to work maybe half the year? Then relax, it will all work out in the end, whether 67 goes through or not. If that defines this career for you, maybe a change in life perspective is in order…

“I still like I got a few good years left”

isn’t the way we should want people to go off into retirement? We don’t want people sticking around who later find out they should’ve retired earlier and don’t have it anymore? (And it will likely not be the individual noticing they don’t have it anymore).
Why would anyone want to fly until their 67 anyways? Like seriously do people not have hobbies? I guess I could buy the whole money argument since the pensions got screwed. Then again I fly with a lot of widebody captains a few years from retirement and a lot of them non stop brag about how much $ they’ve made over the last handful of years pre-Covid and even after with non-stop double time.

But like…it’s a little sad.Sure you’re rich, but how can you even say you enjoy your life and hobbies. Assuming you have one.

Why would anyone want to fly until their 67 anyways? Like seriously do people not have hobbies? I guess I could buy the whole money argument since the pensions got screwed. Then again I fly with a lot of widebody captains a few years from retirement and a lot of them non stop brag about how much $ they’ve made over the last handful of years pre-Covid and even after with non-stop double time.

But like…it’s a little sad.Sure you’re rich, but how can you even say you enjoy your life and hobbies. Assuming you have one.
Heck, I don’t even want to fly until I’m 65.

I wouldn’t be so sure that the upgrade time will change much from where it is now even with the vacancies. Still lots of displacements and senior FOs who may see a contract on the horizon and choose to upgrade anticipating improved reserve rules, pay, etc. I’d put the chances of downgrades a little lower in this bid but still fairly likely.

On this bid? Fact, 96 FOs will become CAs on this bid. If there are downgrades, it’s because they chose a certain base and didn’t put all CA vacancies in their bid.

142 CA vacancies minus 46 reductions still nets 96 new CAs.

I, for one, am ecstatic that they opened the SF Boeing base and are now adding 75 CAs there while reducing only 46 in SF Bus. I really hope to see a bunch of LA Boeing virgin guys go back to SF on the Boeing.

Back