Age 67

If I was the company I’d just displace them involuntarily and let them grieve it. I suspect most MECs would be pretty amenable to negotiating a settlement. No one is going to the mat for these geezers.

IDK, Todd ... if I'm not badly mistaken the desired goal is to actually BECOME the geezer, if you can. A couple years might not matter much in terms of eternity but (and I'm just spit-balling here) I'm guessing you'd prefer to be an old landlord rather than a dead one. Of course, I could certainly be wrong;)

I'll take whatever I can get on these quick circuits around the sun, personally, as a geezer or boomer or just a general pain-in-the-ass.

This would actually be a hilarious outcome. Watching these geezers who are used to their cushy international schedules get stuck flying a 737 four legs a day again would teach them a lesson for stagnating careers for their greed.

The most challenging OE's I've given are much older OE captains who have been living large in the right seat international for decades, then they get a little taste of the "burgs and the villes" on the 319.

Domestic isn't easy but then international shouldn't be gods waiting room either.

I don't support raising the age at all.

Oddly, one of the morons that accused me of being a "diversity hire" in the 90's thinks I'm discriminatory because I didn't support Age-65 back in the day.

Pick a nice round number, like 70. :)

Guy who’s motivation is he made decisions like marrying strippers and buying 2 jet skis because then the trailer is free his whole professional life….

“I should be able to work until I’m dead. That’s why they put two of us up here dammit!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pick a nice round number, like 70. :)
I'm p sure they stopped at 67 only because that's where 100% SSI benefits begin paying out (at least until 2037).

Besides, past about age 60 -- unless a pilat is just completely institutionalized -- they're supposed to start looking at making more than scale by shuttling-around Fortune 500 goofballs at a nice Part 91 outfit (or at least their second, empty chase plane). It's tradition.

IDK, Todd ... if I'm not badly mistaken the desired goal is to actually BECOME the geezer, if you can. A couple years might not matter much in terms of eternity but (and I'm just spit-balling here) I'm guessing you'd prefer to be an old landlord rather than a dead one. Of course, I could certainly be wrong;)

I'll take whatever I can get on these quick circuits around the sun, personally, as a geezer or boomer or just a general pain-in-the-ass.

Hey, I’ve got nothing against geezers. I hope to be one someday. But when you’re in a seniority system, when your turn is up, it’s time to go. No changing the rules in the middle of the game. No respect for any geezer who supports it.

So if you hit 65 and can’t fly international are you forced back to narrowbody? Does that create more of a training backlog?

So if you hit 65 and can’t fly international are you forced back to narrowbody? Does that create more of a training backlog?

Probably.

It's not going to solve anything if it ever becomes more of a Lindsey Graham and 64 years, 10 month captains fever dream.

The problems are:

a. Extreme high cost of entry.
b. Decimation of the profession (see item a coupled with "Sure you can make $500K year in some circumstances, but that's going to buy a very average home in most crew bases")
c. Military putting out fewer pilots because of technology
d. Image. It's rare to see pilots raving about aviation and we generally have scared-off an entire generation of pilots.
e. Interest. The future belongs to the children and a lot of them couldn't care less.

A couple more years to work just means more old pilots who are going to leave the profession without replacement anyway.

Last edited:
d. Image. It's rare to see pilots raving about aviation and we generally have scared-off an entire generation of pilots.
e. Interest. The future belongs to the children and a lot of them couldn't care less.
You’re on to something Doug, those are really good points, especially these last two. We are already seeing the effect of it now and 20+ years of the industry being battered and eroded has done it.

Last edited:
You’re on to something Doug, those are really good points, especially these last two. We are already seeing the effect of it now and 20+ years of the industry being bartered and eroded has done it.

I don't know what the solution is.

We had our generation's "Top Gun" moment, but it probably didn't catch fire like the original for a substantial long-term drive to get into the military, plus we're training A LOT of drone pilots without transferable skills.

It's really challenging to speak to kids about civilian aviation when, hell, I thought I was getting ripped off paying $38/hr for a Tomahawk and $10/hr for dual instruction in the 80's where a Red Bird flight sim is $90/hr in many places.

Letting Mr. New Balance shoes stay until 67 is going to do for staffing what going from 60 to 65 did, zero. I'm sure this'll get copied, pasted and I'll get a bunch of inbox rage, but oh well.

I don't know what the solution is.

We had our generation's "Top Gun" moment, but it probably didn't catch fire like the original for a substantial long-term drive to get into the military, plus we're training A LOT of drone pilots without transferable skills.

It's really challenging to speak to kids about civilian aviation when, hell, I thought I was getting ripped off paying $38/hr for a Tomahawk and $10/hr for dual instruction in the 80's where a Red Bird flight sim is $90/hr in many places.

Letting Mr. New Balance shoes stay until 67 is going to do for staffing what going from 60 to 65 did, zero. I'm sure this'll get copied, pasted and I'll get a bunch of inbox rage, but oh well.

You hit the nail on the head… and for anyone who sends any angry mail… well… they lack situational awareness and are in need of some deep introspective reflection. Everyone knows the current retirement schedule as it stand right now… plan accordingly folks… maybe not squandering your hard earned cash on that new truck vs an investment so you can retire comfortably and on time is the action you need to take to not suffer later.

Eff it. Let it pass. I had 5 yrs of my life stagnated as a RJ FO on wages that were never meant to be lived on for 5 yrs without making CA pay.

I’ll take 2 additional years of top end legacy CA pay (assuming I live that long and don’t medical out).

Eff it. Let it pass. I had 5 yrs of my life stagnated as a RJ FO on wages that were never meant to be lived on for 5 yrs without making CA pay.

I’ll take 2 additional years of top end legacy CA pay (assuming I live that long and don’t medical out).

The most quintessential @Cherokee_Cruiser post ever. “Screw you, I’ve got mine now. Even though I remember how I got screwed, I’m gonna do the same kind of screwing to other people now. Because I’m all that ever matters.”

Back