Age 67

9/11, 2008, age 65 and just as pilots are starting to gain leverage to make this job a bit more tolerable we get age 67.

But yeah I’m the problem… OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was being sincere. A lot of people move onto stuff outside of aviation or that isn’t flying the line and has you away from all that stuff more.

Did you mean to quote someone else? Jordan was being considerate and genuine. It doesn’t look like your response has anything to do with his post.

Yes. I quoted him for a reason. I've been in aviation for coming up on 2 decades now and its always the cheerleaders that make it worse. I have so many examples my head is spinning from it.

"Maybe if we collectively tried to make this job better, instead of kicking the can down the road more people would want to do it and then there wouldn't be a staffing issue." How can this be misconstrued? This career is not what it used to be and now no one wants to do it. 99% of the pilots where I work voted to strike. How many more examples do you want??

But yes. Let's just ask the people pointing this out to piss off. Yes. Much better. Bravo. That will fix it. No more dissenting viewpoint that the career can be better. It's all rainbows and unicorns now. Old BEEF is gone. That bitter old codger. We don't have to listen to him and now it will all be better. Yes. Aviation has been made great again.

There's no one complaining now. And by complaining we really mean no one is pointing out the obvious anymore. The emperor really does have wonderful clothing. Just look at how majestic! Rainbows and unicorns.

All fixed. Aviation is saved.

Everyone who knows me is probably laughing at the idea of you calling me a cheerleader. I'm one of the most Eeyore people I know, but you're making me look like Mr. Sunshine.

Yes. I'm horrible for saying that maybe we should make the career better rather than continually worse. I'm very sorry.

Yes. I'm horrible for saying that maybe we should make the career better rather than continually worse. I'm very sorry.
I never suggested otherwise.

It’s another disaster in a long cycle of disasters for how horrible this career is for those of us who stay in
You seem like you think the career is horrible, and have mentioned as much in other posts. So I asked a genuine question if you've thought about doing something else since I don't think staying in what you call a horrible career is really something many people would want to do in life. I can't say I've never thought about what it'd be like to sleep in my own bed and eat home cooked meals every night if I ever decided I'd had enough.

Where did you say that bud? You said she 67 is going to lead to the next crisis and internal doom of the industry. Same • you’ve been posting for nearly 3 years.

Seriously the fact you are a grown man this delusional has me a bit worried about yourself. Maybe time to step away from the keyboard and seek some fresh air.

Where did you say that bud? You said she 67 is going to lead to the next crisis and internal doom of the industry. Same • you’ve been posting for nearly 3 years.

Seriously the fact you are a grown man this delusional has me a bit worried about yourself. Maybe time to step away from the keyboard and seek some fresh air.

First post on the thread. I don't know how to quote myself and you so copypasta:

"I’ll agree with you on one thing: “not enough want to do this job.”

Do you think that maybe the industry should try and fix some of the issues that have made it a job “not enough” want to do?

Rather than just make worse for those already in the profession, watching in disbelief as the ladder gets yeeted away yet again?"

I never suggested otherwise.

You seem like you think the career is horrible, and have mentioned as much in other posts. So I asked a genuine question if you've thought about doing something else since I don't think staying in what you call a horrible career is really something many people would want to do in life. I can't say I've never thought about what it'd be like to sleep in my own bed and eat home cooked meals every night if I ever decided I'd had enough.

The career wasn't horrible when I dreamed of being a pilot. I knew pilots growing up they did well. They had good schedules. Basically all that is steadily being taken away.

Take for example my shop, things that have been taken from the pilot group. Often traded away by those who will benefit the most from the age 67 thing:

- A pension
- Vacation touching
- Training touching

Since I started at my shop:

- Vacation open time is now gone
- Vacation trades are largely unavailable really it's impossible to use other than direct trades with another pilot

Since I've been at Eskimo our fleet has shrunk to 2016 levels. I've been going backwards. In order to make what I did in 2019 I'd have to make 180 an hour now. Just to match inflation. So during a time when pilots are supposedly needed I now make less money and I have a worse quality of life. All in about 3 years time.

To fix it we will keep the boomers going, so they can buy a new yacht.

Nice.

I keep thinking it's going to get better but it just keeps getting worse. I can't really think of anything else I'm good at and I don't particularly want to change my whole life around and wait for years to earn what I do now because I'm barely making it as is.

You can disregard anything I say about the profession or tell me to get lost. I don't care. I just don't think the solution to fix a career that even CC agrees that "not enough want to do" is to make it even worse.

The career wasn't horrible when I dreamed of being a pilot. I knew pilots growing up they did well. They had good schedules. Basically all that is steadily being taken away.

Take for example my shop, things that have been taken from the pilot group. Often traded away by those who will benefit the most from the age 67 thing:

- A pension
- Vacation touching
- Training touching

Since I started at my shop:

- Vacation open time is now gone
- Vacation trades are largely unavailable really it's impossible to use other than direct trades with another pilot

Since I've been at Eskimo our fleet has shrunk to 2016 levels. I've been going backwards. In order to make what I did in 2019 I'd have to make 180 an hour now. Just to match inflation. So during a time when pilots are supposedly needed I now make less money and I have a worse quality of life. All in about 3 years time.

To fix it we will keep the boomers going, so they can buy a new yacht.

Nice.

I keep thinking it's going to get better but it just keeps getting worse. I can't really think of anything else I'm good at and I don't particularly want to change my whole life around and wait for years to earn what I do now because I'm barely making it as is.

You can disregard anything I say about the profession or tell me to get lost. I don't care. I just don't think the solution to fix a career that even CC agrees that "not enough want to do" is to make it even worse.

Man, you really need to find some happiness in your life.

Man, you really need to find some happiness in your life.

I have that. Outside of work.

I won’t continually stop bringing up how this career could be better as a union volunteer or even here at JC

Yes I said it: “Let’s make the career better rather than kick the staffing can 2 years down the road so the sinking economy will fix it.”

Things could be better. A lot better. If it makes me a miserable person in your eyes or not hard enough or your first instinct is to tell me to do something else. I’d say you’re probably part of the reason this career could be better.

The only way we will make this happen is by standing up and demanding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, you’re confused again. The thread where you’re being disrespectful to the many veterans on this site is the thread about burn pits.
First of all you missed my point, IBFTL, I was obliquely referring to the fact that if this change happens I'm in, I'm less than 65yo, get it?
And I sincerely apologize to being disrespectful to Jon Stewarts long and storied military career. His 'nam experience, gulf war etc. A military icon that is up there with the most heroic, a regular Audie Murphy. Give me a friggin break, I'm dissin vets because I hurt their feelings by insulting a comedian, please, get over yourself, and thanks for your service.

First of all you missed my point, IBFTL, I was obliquely referring to the fact that if this change happens I'm in, I'm less than 65yo, get it?
And I sincerely apologize to being disrespectful to Jon Stewarts long and storied military career. His 'nam experience, gulf war etc. A military icon that is up there with the most heroic, a regular Audie Murphy. Give me a friggin break, I'm dissin vets because I hurt their feelings by insulting a comedian, please, get over yourself, and thanks for your service.
Yeah, I was snarky. Sorry I offended you. I shouldn’t make fun of folks I don’t know. I admit I was insensitive to your insensitivities.

My two opinions:

1. Age 67 is a terrible idea for many reasons most people have already covered here.
2. Jon Stewart (who no one claims served in the military - no idea how you got there) has spent a lot of heartfelt time and his own money actively helping vets and first responders. I am appreciative of his efforts and hope he continues the fight.

Feel like there’s a lot better ways to bring up how we can make QOL and work conditions better than simply stating well age 67 is going to be another nail in our coffins of misery, •tiest job in the world that is only deemed to get much worse and miserable.

then a few posts later talk about how anyone responding anything else is just head in the sand. Hey you do you. What a way to enjoy our life and job field. Hell you can die tomorrow, medical out tomorrow, who knows. Such a positive outlook and mindset Of some of the great things about this industry. But hey, nah you’re totally cool and chill and happy in the outside world away from the forums.How could any of us doubt otherwise despite years of similar post history as this.

200w.gif

Some people will never be happy. I’m not gonna say much because I see him being a guy who would take me to pro stans over hurt feelings on a forum, so I’out of this.

All I’ll say Beefy is with 96 new net CAs on this new vacancy, you’re probably gonna get the Capt upgrade. When you do please be a better person, your FOs will appreciate it.

In a separate story, rumor is on an exit interview, more than FO said they were treated borderline (bad) by a CA, with the subject of why are you still here, why don’t you have apps out, why would you come here, you know you can make more by going elsewhere, you must have been desperate to come here, etc etc.

Like borderline berating. I wish people would just STHU about a decision to come work here - or anywhere. The way I look at it is this: this isn’t an entry level airline. If you are a new FO here, you were prior military, regional, or corporate. In other words it’s not your first rodeo and you came here knowing what you are coming to: Soon 737 only, 5 west coast bases, no widebodies, etc.

So why punch down on new FOs? I don’t get it. People need to keep their miserableness to themselves. Honestly, it sounds like a self reflection and realization for the CA that he’s stuck and can’t leave with too much seniority so they take it out on the FO.

Some people will never be happy. I’m not gonna say much because I see him being a guy who would take me to pro stans over hurt feelings on a forum, so I’out of this.

All I’ll say Beefy is with 96 new net CAs on this new vacancy, you’re probably gonna get the Capt upgrade. When you do please be a better person, your FOs will appreciate it.

In a separate story, rumor is on an exit interview, more than FO said they were treated borderline (bad) by a CA, with the subject of why are you still here, why don’t you have apps out, why would you come here, you know you can make more by going elsewhere, you must have been desperate to come here, etc etc.

Like borderline berating. I wish people would just STHU about a decision to come work here - or anywhere. The way I look at it is this: this isn’t an entry level airline. If you are a new FO here, you were prior military, regional, or corporate. In other words it’s not your first rodeo and you came here knowing what you are coming to: Soon 737 only, 5 west coast bases, no widebodies, etc.

So why punch down on new FOs? I don’t get it. People need to keep their miserableness to themselves. Honestly, it sounds like a self reflection and realization for the CA that he’s stuck and can’t leave with too much seniority so they take it out on the FO.
Had a few friends and old FO’s at SkyWest hop over to Alaska. All of them happy and excited as they should be. I’m with you, no need to punch down FO’s for being comfortable at any major, LCC, ULCC. Not everyone wants the life of a legacy. To each their own. I’ll never understand why people can’t realize we all have different stuff and lives going on. No one cares about what you would do after all. Why don’t those people do it and just STFU and let their FO’s live their own life.

Doing that is a sure way to be VFR-direct chitcanned from this forum. No second chance. That is exactly what got user Velocipede (also Alaska) booted, after what he did to CalCapt.

Is it that difficult to just have a pleasant, enjoyable flight? Apparently for some in the business, it’s nearly impossible it would seem.

Back