Age 67

I can't even. How old are you?

It doesn’t matter. When I started ground school at my regional, it was Age 60. I still remember getting the FOM update to put in our little binder for Age 65, around December 2007.

How was that fair? I signed on the dotted line when everyone would leave at 60. They got 5 more years at their top end salaries (granted, BK era salaries). The regional guys were double screwed with Age 65 and the 2008-2010 GFC. Anyway, the end bottom line is when age 65 passed, I got my 5 extra years as a RJ FO, while mainline guys got theirs at legacy 12th yr CA pay. Age 67 would allow us to get some benefit on the top end.

That said, I fully realize that I may not live to 67 or hold a medical to 67. Still, the option to do so would be nice.

And to all that talk about you’d never want to work that long. Are you kidding me? Maxed out on 12th yr pay for decades, at 41 vacation days per year, routinely getting 20 day off lines (before vacation drops)? Sorry, that’s basically like the best part time job ever. You’re hardly working. Why not hardly work another 2 years if you can hold a medical? That’s another 700-800 grand.

It doesn’t matter. When I started ground school at my regional, it was Age 60. I still remember getting the FOM update to put in our little binder for Age 65, around December 2007.

How was that fair? I signed on the dotted line when everyone would leave at 60. They got 5 more years at their top end salaries (granted, BK era salaries). The regional guys were double screwed with Age 65 and the 2008-2010 GFC. Anyway, the end bottom line is when age 65 passed, I got my 5 extra years as a RJ FO, while mainline guys got theirs at legacy 12th yr CA pay. Age 67 would allow us to get some benefit on the top end.

That said, I fully realize that I may not live to 67 or hold a medical to 67. Still, the option to do so would be nice.

And to all that talk about you’d never want to work that long. Are you kidding me? Maxed out on 12th yr pay for decades, at 41 vacation days per year, routinely getting 20 day off lines (before vacation drops)? Sorry, that’s basically like the best part time job ever. You’re hardly working. Why not hardly work another 2 years if you can hold a medical? That’s another 700-800 grand.
It wasn’t fair then. You guys got screwed. What you aren’t understanding is that it’s crappy and selfish of you now to support another age increase. Knowing how it negatively affected you in 2007, why would you want to do that to the pilots under you now?

It doesn’t matter. When I started ground school at my regional, it was Age 60. <snip>

How was that fair?

Fair? You're literally saying it wasn't fair for you to suffer, but you support it now.

Lots of us got yanked around between 9/11 and 65. Things are better now.

There are people in the world who suffer from true unfair circumstances. There aren't a lot of people going to sympathize with a guy making $300k/yr or more saying his career didn't turn out the way he planned.

Looks like things are progressing into “real” status as Sen Graham of SC has proposed this legislation. Time to write your congressman/Senators.
Don't know if you'll get much love from your Senators. Geriatric seems to be working quite well for the Senate. Why not aviation, too? I mean, it lends the idea credence. If pilots can still fly airplanes at 65-67, certainly the American public should be confident in the continued astute decision making of the members of America's most lofty (elevated?) legislative body.
The list below is the cut of just the +65 Senate crowd. Note: it's almost half of 'em.

RankSenatorStateLength of SenateCurrent ageParty
1​
Dianne FeinsteinCalifornia24 years, 27 days83 years, 168 daysDemocratic
2​
Chuck GrassleyIowa35 years, 339 days83 years, 81 daysRepublican
3​
Orrin HatchUtah39 years, 339 days82 years, 260 daysRepublican
4​
Richard ShelbyAlabama29 years, 339 days82 years, 215 daysRepublican
5​
Jim InhofeOklahoma22 years, 20 days82 years, 20 daysRepublican
6​
Pat RobertsKansas19 years, 339 days80 years, 231 daysRepublican
7​
Barbara MikulskiMaryland29 years, 339 days80 years, 140 daysDemocratic
9​
Thad CochranMississippi37 years, 346 days79 years, 0 daysRepublican
11​
Patrick LeahyVermont41 years, 339 days76 years, 251 daysDemocratic
12​
Lamar AlexanderTennessee13 years, 339 days76 years, 157 daysRepublican
13​
Barbara BoxerCalifornia23 years, 339 days76 years, 26 daysDemocratic
14​
Bernie SandersVermont9 years, 339 days75 years, 90 daysIndependent[1]
15​
Mitch McConnellKentucky31 years, 339 days74 years, 291 daysRepublican
16​
Bill NelsonFlorida15 years, 339 days74 years, 69 daysDemocratic
17​
Jim RischIdaho7 years, 339 days73 years, 218 daysRepublican
18​
Dan CoatsIndiana5 years, 339 days73 years, 205 daysRepublican
19​
Ben CardinMaryland9 years, 339 days73 years, 63 daysDemocratic
20​
Mike EnziWyoming19 years, 339 days72 years, 310 daysRepublican
21​
Angus KingMaine3 years, 339 days72 years, 251 daysIndependent[1]
22​
Dick DurbinIllinois19 years, 339 days72 years, 16 daysDemocratic
23​
Johnny IsaksonGeorgia11 years, 339 days71 years, 345 daysRepublican
24​
Richard BlumenthalConnecticut5 years, 339 days70 years, 298 daysDemocratic
25​
Ed MarkeyMassachusetts3 years, 144 days70 years, 149 daysDemocratic
26​
Jeff SessionsAlabama19 years, 339 days69 years, 349 daysRepublican
27​
Tom CarperDelaware15 years, 339 days69 years, 319 daysDemocratic
28​
Jeanne ShaheenNew Hampshire7 years, 339 days69 years, 314 daysDemocratic
29​
Joe ManchinWest Virginia6 years, 22 days69 years, 105 daysDemocratic
30​
Mazie HironoHawaii3 years, 339 days69 years, 34 daysDemocratic
31​
Tom UdallNew Mexico7 years, 339 days68 years, 203 daysDemocratic
32​
Ron WydenOregon20 years, 305 days67 years, 218 daysDemocratic
33​
Elizabeth WarrenMassachusetts3 years, 339 days67 years, 168 daysDemocratic
34​
Jack ReedRhode Island19 years, 339 days67 years, 25 daysDemocratic
35​
David PerdueGeorgia1 year, 339 days66 years, 363 daysRepublican
36​
Roy BluntMissouri5 years, 339 days66 years, 332 daysRepublican
37​
Debbie StabenowMichigan15 years, 339 days66 years, 222 daysDemocratic
38​
Patty MurrayWashington23 years, 339 days66 years, 57 daysDemocratic
39​
Chuck SchumerNew York17 years, 339 days66 years, 14 daysDemocratic
40​
John BoozmanArkansas5 years, 339 days65 years, 363 daysRepublican
41​
Deb FischerNebraska3 years, 339 days65 years, 281 daysRepublican
42​
Mike CrapoIdaho17 years, 339 days65 years, 201 daysRepublican
43​
Al FrankenMinnesota7 years, 153 days65 years, 200 daysDemocratic
44​
Roger WickerMississippi8 years, 342 days65 years, 155 daysRepublican
45​
John CornynTexas14 years, 6 days64 years, 309 daysRepublican

Last edited:
Baring some economic tsunami, even with my retirement # I don’t want to even go to 67, let alone 65. Lol. Amazing. But I know everyone situation is different… but this doesn’t solve any issues. Classic American corporation/government logic - kick the can down the road 2 years. That will really help!
Meh, the Airlines built their house decades ago. Now they get to keep living in it.

It's not "fair.". Kinda' like life.

We all get our 100%, whether that's a long time or far too short.

We do the best we can with what we've got. Some of us are f**cked and some of us aren't.

Long time, or short, we can make the difference we can and enjoy the ride.

Personally, I'd be damned before I chose to work additional years for the sake of a few extra dollars that benefit , more often than not, people other than me.

YMMV, but I'm happy to have three years of retirement behind me now and to anticipate whatever time I have left with the beauty of every new sunrise and the joy of happy dogs on our walks.

Last edited:
It's not "fair.". Kinda' like life.

We all get our 100%, whether that's a long time or far too short.

We do the best we can with what we've got. Some of us are f**cked and some of us aren't.

Long time, or short, we can make the difference we can and enjoy the ride.

Personally, I'd be damned before I chose to work additional years for the sake of a few extra dollars that benefit , more often than not, people other than me.

YMMV, but I'm happy to have three years of retirement behind me now and to anticipate whatever time I have left with the beauty of every new sunrise and the joy of happy dogs on our walks.

I get that. I’ve been very lucky all things considered, hired at a young age at my major. Who knows, maybe I’ll punch out at 60. Or get medical out at 50. Way too many unknowns.

I remember the saying “make hay while the sun shines.” That’s what I’ve been doing, while also trying to maximize time at home (key: do day trips).

I’m completely okay with age 65 staying in place.

Do you really want me to piss of pilots? Well, it’s my personal belief we should leave age 65 alone and knock down the 1500 ATP rule to 500-750 hrs total. COME AT ME JETCAREERS :)

Don't know if you'll get much love from your Senators. Geriatric seems to be working quite well for the Senate. Why not aviation, too? I mean, it lends the idea credence. If pilots can still fly airplanes at 65-67, certainly the American public should be confident in the continued astute decision making of the members of America's most lofty (elevated?) legislative body.
The list below is the cut of just the +65 Senate crowd. Note: it's almost half of 'em.

RankSenatorStateLength of SenateCurrent ageParty
1​
Dianne FeinsteinCalifornia24 years, 27 days83 years, 168 daysDemocratic
2​
Chuck GrassleyIowa35 years, 339 days83 years, 81 daysRepublican
3​
Orrin HatchUtah39 years, 339 days82 years, 260 daysRepublican

The point remains the same, but your list is actually a few years out of date. Dianne Feinstein is now 89, Chuck Grassley is 88, and Orrin Hatch is dead. Staffers who work directly with Feinstein are growing increasingly alarmed and disturbed by her cognitive decline when even a short time ago she was still fairly sharp.

It wasn’t fair then. You guys got screwed. What you aren’t understanding is that it’s crappy and selfish of you now to support another age increase. Knowing how it negatively affected you in 2007, why would you want to do that to the pilots under you now?

It’s not hard to understand. He’s a bad person who doesn’t give a damn about anyone but himself.

The point remains the same, but your list is actually a few years out of date. Dianne Feinstein is now 89, Chuck Grassley is 88, and Orrin Hatch is dead. Staffers who work directly with Feinstein are growing increasingly alarmed and disturbed by her cognitive decline when even a short time ago she was still fairly sharp.
Yeah, you're absolutely correct. In fact, if you look carefully, you'll find a couple dead people I already eliminated. But surely I need to be taken out to the woodshed for leaving Orrin Hatch on the list while removing John McCain. :)

Yeah, you're absolutely correct. In fact, if you look carefully, you'll find a couple dead people I already eliminated. But surely I need to be taken out to the woodshed for leaving Orrin Hatch on the list while removing John McCain. :)
Enzi died last year. Is Al Franken back in office?

If memory serves he's no where near retirement age. Unless he's already near the top of his seniority list he's shooting his own seniority progression in the foot by supporting Age 67 now. I suspect he's trolling.
I mean, his MO in everything else is “I don’t care if it hurts me as long as it also hurts a lot of people I don’t like” so this is on-brand.

If memory serves he's no where near retirement age. Unless he's already near the top of his seniority list he's shooting his own seniority progression in the foot by supporting Age 67 now. I suspect he's trolling.

A 2 yr pause? We retire like 30-40 people a year for this timeframe. No big loss.

Damn bro, getting roasted. You gonna defend yourself? @Cherokee_Cruiser

Hey since you support 67, why fly a guppy till you’re 67 like a crazy person? We are hiring

No roasting. Some just don’t like the truth.

One way or another Age 67 will come. You’d be a fool to think it won’t. The same way the 1500 hr rule will be changing someday as well. We need these changes because the manpower just isn’t there. Oh wait, sorry, peoplepower. Not enough want to do this job, traditional pipelines are very low (eg, military). 500-750 hrs and Age 67. We’ll see it this decade - IMO.

Back