Soliciting

Nark

Macho Superpilot
I got a letter in the mail to see if I’m interested in selling my 180 from a dude.

Talked to the wife and was like yeah, if the price is right...

(Deep down thinking, why hasn’t my Stinson sold yet...)

There have been a bunch of you who have met me, but very few know me from JC.
I would sooner sell my wife to a fur trader than sell the Cessna, but everything has a price.

I’m contemplating calling him back and giving him a Wild offer just to see. But a big part of me is afraid he’ll accept.

A search on trade a plane and barnstormers, there are no comparable models. Maybe the capitalist inside me should make a deal? Perhaps I could move from the STOL life to the fast psion life?

For where you live, I can't think of any reason to need a STOL aircraft. Might as well make it go further on the same gas.
Fact is if you're landing on anything you can reasonably call an airport, you don't need a tailwheel and you don't need stol.

If I lived down south I'd either have something unlimited acro or like a Glasair 3.

For where you live, I can't think of any reason to need a STOL aircraft. Might as well make it go further on the same gas.
Fact is if you're landing on anything you can reasonably call an airport, you don't need a tailwheel and you don't need stol.

If I lived down south I'd either have something unlimited acro or like a Glasair 3.
Owning a plane is rarely about “need”, might as well have the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. Within your budget of course.

Don’t do it.

Stack cash and buy the next cool toy.

Man code: He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins.

But seriously, don’t let the things you love go. It always results in regret and an internet obsession with finding a replacement that’s twice what you sold for either in price or labor.

True, not a Valdez contender. But it’s in a league almost entirely on it owns down here.

There not an airport I’ve been to without some one coming up and chatting.

Thanks @milleR. Some great perspective. I still have trepidation about selling the Stinson since she’s treated me so well over the last 5 years.

True, not a Valdez contender. But it’s in a league almost entirely on it owns down here.

There not an airport I’ve been to without some one coming up and chatting.

Thanks @milleR. Some great perspective. I still have trepidation about selling the Stinson since she’s treated me so well over the last 5 years.
It’s a classic. Put some bigger tires on and fly it up to AK next summer. Beats the heck out of a classic car.

Not the same, but when I bought my dream car I asked the dealer how much they’d give me in trade for my current car. They said $700, and I was actually slightly relieved as I loved that car too. It was a 2002 Subaru WRX that I had bought because I loved it and I also wanted to learn how to maintain my own car.

4 years with it and I’d learned how to do brakes, timing belt, valve cover gasket, entire cooling system, etc. Only thing I couldn’t do myself was the clutch. My mechanic friend messaged me and asked if now that I had the STI I was looking to sell the WRX. “He knew a guy.”

I went into the sale with complete honesty. “I bought the car with 120,000 miles, did 90% of the maintenance myself, drove it hard, and despite that the price I’m going to give you is going to be unreasonable because I don’t want to sell it.

I told him I was asking 3,800-4,000. He pointed to a small rust spot and offered $3,700. I told him I was expecting more of a fight and gave it to him for $3,500.

That $3,500 helped fund the best vacation of my life. Seriously life changing. A couple days in Hong Kong showing the wife around one of my favorite cities. The rest of it in a private villa at Luxury Romantic Resort Kamala | Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa | Phuket Spa Hotel. One of those vacations that you go into thinking that everything in your life is perfect, but once you come home you rrealize how much better it could be if you were absolutely loaded.

Anyway. I still find myself missing my ‘02 WRX. Any time I see a silver one around town I hope it’s my old one. More than once have I combed cars.com hoping to find it. I’m not sure if trade the vacation for it, but if I was given the chance to get it back, I probably would.

In sort of a same boat
Plane is about the last thing I need right now, got a text from a buddy couple of weeks back, saying he's got a customer asking if I'd be willing to part with it. Not really, but affording a plane on the regional FO pay is tough. Gave the guy a price, somewhat outside his budget, but reasonable in my book, he's thinking.
Wife told me she'll rather sell me to the fur traders now that she's making good money and I didn't sell the plane couple of years back when the money were really tight. Women, go figure.
Now I'll need to find enough time off to bring it from FL to IL in time for snow shoveling.

One of my friends has a 180 and has had it close to 40 years. It has treated him really well. These days it mostly does $100 hamburger runs but he’ll never sell it. Even though he doesn’t utilize it to its potential, nothing else can do what it does.

Unless you can step up to a Beaver for twice the fuel burn and 30 knots slower, I’d keep it.

Good god, you took less than he offered? I feel compelled to hop on a plane to whatever far part of the world you’re currently in and slap you. :)

Seemed like a good kid who had always wanted to own a WRX. Plus I bought the car partly to learn how to maintain it myself, so I felt kind of bad.

Back