Kirby wants scope relief and United

What exactly is scope choke? I fail to see how less pilots at the regional level isn't the reason there are less rjs going forward.

What exactly is scope choke? I fail to see how less pilots at the regional level isn't the reason there are less rjs going forward.

Scope Choke is forcing the reduction of total regional airframes and block hours while requiring an increase of mainline airframes and block hours thru strategic contractual language.

Less pilots at the regionals is not a big factor yet. Kirby had success at AA increasing regional airframes while reducing mainline airframes. He's trying to do the same at United.

There's several good reasons Delta has 14,000 pilots and 4 month upgrades while AA and UAL aren't remotely close in terms of movement. Not having Scott Kirby types in management is one of them

Normally narrowbody CA seats go around 1/3 off the top at most larger carriers due to senior FOs doing WB flying.

What I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is why is Delta so fast on the upgrade? Normally this would indicate a massive amount of new airplanes but that isn't the case. Why are so many FOs holding out?

Scope Choke is forcing the reduction of total regional airframes and block hours while requiring an increase of mainline airframes and block hours thru strategic contractual language.

Less pilots at the regionals is not a big factor yet. Kirby had success at AA increasing regional airframes while reducing mainline airframes. He's trying to do the same at United.

There's several good reasons Delta has 14,000 pilots and 4 month upgrades while AA and UAL aren't remotely close in terms of movement. Not having Scott Kirby types in management is one of them
I get that - but how can this be considered a win? We knew 50 seaters were too many in number and going to be on the way out. So you give management the keys to more large rjs in exchange to park 50 seaters?

I don't see scope choke I see scope fail big time. I'm sure alpa or whatever union likes to take credit for doing something good but I don't buy it. Why allow more large rjs?

Kirby didn't change anything from the MTA/MOU scope.

I get that - but how can this be considered a win? We knew 50 seaters were too many in number and going to be on the way out. So you give management the keys to more large rjs in exchange to park 50 seaters?

I don't see scope choke I see scope fail big time. I'm sure alpa or whatever union likes to take credit for doing something good but I don't buy it. Why allow more large rjs?

It's going to be very difficult to put that genie back in the bottle, as you've correctly deduced.

Normally narrowbody CA seats go around 1/3 off the top at most larger carriers due to senior FOs doing WB flying.

What I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is why is Delta so fast on the upgrade? Normally this would indicate a massive amount of new airplanes but that isn't the case. Why are so many FOs holding out?

Because people are afraid of the M88. Its ridiculous really. I was hoping to progress to WB FO then NB CA but after this last bid it looks like I'll be senior enough to bid straight to a line holding, live in base CA position and I may have no reasonable alternative not to bid over.

Because people are afraid of the M88. Its ridiculous really. I was hoping to progress to WB FO then NB CA but after this last bid it looks like I'll be senior enough to bid straight to a line holding, live in base CA position and I may have no reasonable alternative not to bid over.
Never ridden up front on the -88, but the -90 seems to be no more eccentric than the Canadian Space Shuttle, with the added bonus of "stuff is mechanical."

Never ridden up front on the -88, but the -90 seems to be no more eccentric than the Canadian Space Shuttle, with the added bonus of "stuff is mechanical."
I'm not sure what the -88 is like but on the S80's at AA it's like going back in time. I could see a bunch of folks not wanting to fly it after being on an Airbus but not THAT many guys.

I'm not sure what the -88 is like but on the S80's at AA it's like going back in time. I could see a bunch of folks not wanting to fly it after being on an Airbus but not THAT many guys.
The rejoinder to that is "don't be chicken[bleep], fly what they put in front of you and cash the check."

Also it's ATL/NYC which many people do not want to commute to. But now LAX 73 is 2.5 years or so. Probably keep dropping with the c series. @wheelsup WB FO life is good and seniority is what matters most here, not neccesarily what seat or plane. You can make alot as a senior WB FO.

Also it's ATL/NYC which many people do not want to commute to. But now LAX 73 is 2.5 years or so. Probably keep dropping with the c series. @wheelsup WB FO life is good and seniority is what matters most here, not neccesarily what seat or plane. You can make alot as a senior WB FO.

Yeah, but senior WB FO is like 20 plus years.

It's not a win. You're absolutely right that allowing more large/capable outsourcing is a 'fail.'

Obviously the 50 seater population was going to dwindle regardless. No leverage was needed to make that occur.

Probably the "up or out" policy which I'm sure is going to get flirted with at my shop. Hopefully not, but I'm suspicious.

Back