Kirby wants scope relief and United

A few things probably... American doesn't have the greatest reserve rules as compared to Delta (and United) so that tends to keep people out of bad category seniority if they can avoid it. Also, US Air (and now American) structured their pay so a senior FO seat with good QOL gives you similar pay as a junior captain with poor quality of life. Finally, I think a lot of regional guys were abused on reserve for so many years that they avoid it just by habit. Delta took way more military guys in the last few years than the other carriers so it's possible that the culture of avoiding reserve isn't as pervasive there.

I don't get what you're saying. Wouldn't bad reserve rules make being junior on anything worth avoiding? Yet LGA 737 captain is still in the low 70th percentile. Doesn't go that junior.

I think DL upgrades are going junior because
of their premium pay. Premium pay is almost non-existent at AA. From what I understand over there it's readily available.

At AA you basically have to bid the highest paying seat you can hold to maximize income. Between our IMAX and lack of premium pay you just can't work the system.

I don't get what you're saying. Wouldn't bad reserve rules make being junior on anything worth avoiding? Yet LGA 737 captain is still in the low 70th percentile. Doesn't go that junior.

I think DL upgrades are going junior because
of their premium pay. Premium pay is almost non-existent at AA. From what I understand over there it's readily available.

At AA you basically have to bid the highest paying seat you can hold to maximize income. Between our IMAX and lack of premium pay you just can't work the system.
Agreed. That's why those senior WB guys don't upgrade. You can be illegal by 10 minutes for rest between trips and they will pull you off and give it to someone at premium pay instead of just delay the flight by 10 mins. Hell even 1 minute. There's atleast 1 premium trip everyday in my category. It's fantastic.

Our reserve system largely goes fairly senior depending on base and category. Whenever I had reserve in DTW, during a busy month, I was in Detroit for two or three days and might fly. Or. Not. 12 hour call up on long call, two hours (and oh boy, here comes a thread burner if some particular people read this) for short call.

If you live in DTW and are lazy, RSV is the only way to go.

It's not punative.
Yeah but @Seggy says airport reserve, excuse me field standby, is a qol booster

Agreed. That's why those senior WB guys don't upgrade. You can be illegal by 10 minutes for rest between trips and they will pull you off and give it to someone at premium pay instead of just delay the flight by 10 mins. Hell even 1 minute. There's atleast 1 premium trip everyday in my category. It's fantastic.
Nice. Say a SEA-PDX-SeA pops up on a green slip, are y'all getting 10 hrs+ for that?

No, I mean a 1 day. So a quick turn like atl ags atl. Your getting your 5 min x2 for green slip, right?
Yeah so as he said it would pay 10:30. If it blocked in after 130 am it would pay 21:00.

I think it's duty off after 2 am to be counted for the next day but it might be block in

Yeah so as he said it would pay 10:30. If it blocked in after 130 am it would pay 21:00.

I think it's duty off after 2 am to be counted for the next day but it might be block in
Does this get processed in order of seniority?

Yes. For anyone that has a green slip request in. All that have a request in must be given the opportunity for one before anyone can get a second one.
Well I think we have cracked the code. Why would you leave that gravy train to slug it out in the left seat not making any more money. I'd take a month of ATL-GSP turns for the same cash too.

Plus they like handing out inverse assignments in the middle of the night so most people don't hear them. The one's who do get double pay of course but it doesn't count towards their green slip order . For instance, I woke up one night around 4 am because nature called, my wife saw my phone light up and told me scheduling called. Voicemail said it was for an IA with a 6 am show. Ok I'm already up why not. The next week I got called for a GS. Out of the blue, So 2 premium day trips in 2 weeks as 2nd to bottom. That's the type of stuff the senior guys do with regularity...But the international guys do it with 8+ day trips and credit well over 100 hours because there's another thing called green slip with conflict, where you get a GS that goes over another trip and they drop it with pay.

Last edited:
Well I think we have cracked the code. Why would you leave that gravy train to slug it out in the left seat not making any more money. I'd take a month of ATL-GSP turns for the same cash too.

Yea the premium system at AA needs an overhaul badly. It should be assigned how DL does it. Seniority order but if you've already got one for the month the next guy gets a turn.

Although it wouldn't really matter. We're so fat after PBS there's hardly any open time, let alone premium.

Mid-range 777 F/O
$226/hr
18 days off a month
Schedule control
Secluded bunk with 3-5 hour breaks to ease the pain of a whacky schedule

Or with a 13% raise . . .

99% 320 CA
$256/hr
13 days off a month
Working 80% of weekends and almost all holidays, for the next two years minimum
Coverage days
No say in 05:00 reports or 23:45 releases
In NYC, covering three airports

Factoring in an occasional IOE trip buy for the 777 F/O and/or a greenslip or two throughout the year, the captain position could easily be a paycut.

Obviously that's one extreme to the other. NYC isn't the same reserve as DTW/ATL. And an F/O on the 330/764/7ER has more of an hourly wage disparity.

But still. When one surpasses $200K a year, I guess it comes down to: is more money going to balance out the additional 50-60 workdays per year that it will take to claim it? That's a whole block of ~5 days each month.

All depends on one's own situation.

Some people just gotta be the big man on campus.

Plus I've heard the TGI Fridays in Sydney is crap.

Yea the premium system at AA needs an overhaul badly. It should be assigned how DL does it. Seniority order but if you've already got one for the month the next guy gets a turn.

Although it wouldn't really matter. We're so fat after PBS there's hardly any open time, let alone premium.
It was easy under airways for premium. Well not as a commuter

Plus they like handing out inverse assignments in the middle of the night so most people don't hear them. The one's who do get double pay of course but it doesn't count towards their green slip order . For instance, I woke up one night around 4 am because nature called, my wife saw my phone light up and told me scheduling called. Voicemail said it was for an IA with a 6 am show. Ok I'm already up why not. The next week I got called for a GS. Out of the blue, So 2 premium day trips in 2 weeks as 2nd to bottom. That's the type of stuff the senior guys do with regularity...But the international guys do it with 8+ day trips and credit well over 100 hours because there's another thing called green slip with conflict, where you get a GS that goes over another trip and they drop it with pay.
Remember that time you work too much. I do.

Back