Santa Monica to close by July 2018?

The whole noise argument seems pretty disingenuous.

View attachment 36513

Aircraft are generally around 60-80db depending on type and typical distances. Cumulative traffic on a city street? 80-90 or more. California Interstate??? A train passing would be about 100db, as would a blow-dryer. A jackhammer around 115. Car horn? Around 110-115. Lawnmower? 90-100. So good thing there are none of those things in or around Santa Monica. And, by Zeus, good thing there are Harley's or Deep Bass Thump-mobiles in California!
Also, when was the last time a jurisdiction gave up a public road so that somebody could build Condos? This is public infrastructure (federal public infrastructure mostly) which is albeit largely the domain of rich folk right now. But with all the current rapid and accelerating changes in aircraft systems, it seems a bit foolhardy to give up infrastructure that might soon be very useful to the masses in places like SMO and many others. Not that SMO really has all that big a "the masses" problem. Like I said, disingenuous. I smell money.

Meigs v2.0

Actually, I fully expected the FAA to step in at some point. This isn't a Meigs situation where there were no land covenants or outstanding grant restrictions, which Santa Monica has both.

Richman

The whole noise argument seems pretty disingenuous.

View attachment 36513

Aircraft are generally around 60-80db depending on type and typical distances. Cumulative traffic on a city street? 80-90 or more. California Interstate??? A train passing would be about 100db, as would a blow-dryer. A jackhammer around 115. Car horn? Around 110-115. Lawnmower? 90-100. So good thing there are none of those things in or around Santa Monica. And, by Zeus, good thing there are Harley's or Deep Bass Thump-mobiles in California!
Also, when was the last time a jurisdiction gave up a public road so that somebody could build Condos? This is public infrastructure (federal public infrastructure mostly) which is albeit largely the domain of rich folk right now. But with all the current rapid and accelerating changes in aircraft systems, it seems a bit foolhardy to give up infrastructure that might soon be very useful to the masses in places like SMO and many others. Not that SMO really has all that big a "the masses" problem. Like I said, disingenuous. I smell money.
Quiet down you dang kids, with your rock music and Mad Dogs

In my experience, this place is anything but friendly to outside traffic. No approaches allowed at night (including visuals), the place is like a ghost town at night, people have to stop their plane in the taxi way and get out to push it in a parking spot because there's no room, and leaving the approach controllers are about worthless and make a 20 second exchange into a 3 minute conversation. It seems like the local FAA personnel here have no desire to make things friendly or keep it open either.

Betcha the city has something else up there sleeve as well to make the place even more unfriendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some f15's should go do touch and goes. ;)

Isn't the FAA supposed to promote a Aviations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I don't see the problem. 3500ft is plenty for the hobbyist aviator and 4973 is a pain in the ass in a jet. I won't miss it. Basically the rich just beat up on the ultra rich in court and saved me a bunch of repos and fuel stops. Fine by me. Let em drive.

Now we need to get a concerned citizens group going in Aspen...

In my experience, this place is anything but friendly to outside traffic. No approaches allowed at night (including visuals), the place is like a ghost town at night, people have to stop their plane in the taxi way and get out to push it in a parking spot because there's no room, and leaving the approach controllers are about worthless and make a 20 second exchange into a 3 minute conversation. It seems like the local FAA personnel here have no desire to make things friendly or keep it open either.
This. Not a fan. Had to divert to BUR because SoCal won't let you circle to 3 out of the VOR-A.

The same.

Edit: Let me elaborate. It's the one with the non-precision approach off to the side which you very nearly cannot get to the runway from the MAP in the jets I've flown because it's in a valley with a mountain immediately off the end of the runway, accounting the "one way in one way out" nature of the approach/departure (you know, kind of like a roach motel) and the one of a kind ILS sitting on a mountain as part of the missed approach

Back