Started ATP 2 Days Ago

I went to ATP in 2012 for my multi add on, commercial single, commercial multi, and CFI's. Total program cost was $29,000 and took about three months. I took out a $35,000 loan to pay for living expenses and checkrides. I went on a different path. I chose to go back to work and pay my loan off before going to the regionals and living in complete poverty. Now it is 4 years later, I am hired at Envoy, going to class in January, and will have zero debt when I do it. I instructed on the side, and bought a share of an airplane to build time. Find a way to put a dent in that loan before you completely sell your soul.

we were promised updates!!!! Miguel , BCTAv8r.....where r you guys?? Good news? Bad news? some news?

we were promised updates!!!! Miguel , BCTAv8r.....where r you guys?? Good news? Bad news? some news?

Good news is that everthing has moved along quick. Bad news is being in CFI school. Very tough. Make sure you guys study before coming. There isnt a whole lot of time to study once you get here and youre pretty much playing catch up the whole time.

so where r u doing the CFI? which locale? I was planning to have the writttens done and done before I get there....

so where r u doing the CFI? which locale? I was planning to have the writttens done and done before I get there....
I'm in my 3rd week now, having the writtens will help but it's certainly doable if you don't. I just passed my private written yesterday. Any one person at the school probably averages 8 hrs a day of study. If you can read the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge before you come, you'll thank yourself. The biggest stressor at the beginning coming from zero hours or a background of any kind in aviation is building your general knowledge base.

Hey Brandon, Wow...you were just trying to find financing the other day and now your already banging it out!!! Good on ya!
Thanks for your update. Very interested to see how the IFR thru CFI/I goes..... Are you gonna do the program with less multi time?

I'm in my 3rd week now, having the writtens will help but it's certainly doable if you don't. I just passed my private written yesterday. Any one person at the school probably averages 8 hrs a day of study. If you can read the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge before you come, you'll thank yourself. The biggest stressor at the beginning coming from zero hours or a background of any kind in aviation is building your general knowledge base.

Keep it up. It will be over in no time. I was sim-ing it up at 4-6am for my instrument before instructors and students came to use the sim.

another qucik question...how many hours are you guys at once you complete Multi-comm-ifr?
or i guess once you begin CFI training? LIke 300ish?

another qucik question...how many hours are you guys at once you complete Multi-comm-ifr?
or i guess once you begin CFI training? LIke 300ish?

If you come into the program with a PPL you need to have at least 80 hours TT, if you consider that the 40 hour program gives you about 145 hours, that's about 225 by the end of the program (as well as 50 FTD), and maybe around 200 before CFI school.

If you come into the program with a PPL you need to have at least 80 hours TT, if you consider that the 40 hour program gives you about 145 hours, that's about 225 by the end of the program (as well as 50 FTD), and maybe around 200 before CFI school.
It seems like most instructors say they have around 250hrs before they start CFI school. I believe that's with the 40 ME and not 100

It seems like most instructors say they have around 250hrs before they start CFI school. I believe that's with the 40 ME and not 100

Well,
So if I'm reading this right, since I have 120ish hours, I could expect to have roughly 370 or so hours before the CFI portion?

If you guys go to the ATP website you will see how many hours are allotted. Trust me when I say that what they advertise is what you will get.

Yeah ShyFlyer....that's what I was asking a few posts back. But you figure based on FAR requirements....They should be at around 250+ after MEL COMM IFR, if they do the "40 hr multi" track. It one does the "100 Multi" track...I guess one would add 60hrs to that ...so 300+ when they begin CFI training.

Considering ATP. Big thx for the thread. I will follow the thread with interest. Good luck with your flying and studies. Look forward to more updates.

If any ATP CFIs are following the thread, I am interested to know about the CFI experience...how many hours are you logging and type of hours, how is it working for ATP as a company, CFI selection and training, accommodation etc. There is plenty information about the schooling online, and this thread certainly helps. I cannot however find much info about instructing with ATP. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but for most, ATP schooling and teaching is a package deal of sorts.

Yeah ShyFlyer....that's what I was asking a few posts back. But you figure based on FAR requirements....They should be at around 250+ after MEL COMM IFR, if they do the "40 hr multi" track. It one does the "100 Multi" track...I guess one would add 60hrs to that ...so 300+ when they begin CFI training.
You're missing that your Total Time when you take the Commercial Checkride is 200, the other 50 comes from FTD/ATD time. Doesn't matter if you do the 40 hour or 100 hour program, doesn't matter if you start from zero or 80 hours, all programs are designed so students take their commercial multi with just over 200 hours. You can expect to finish the program with about 230 hours give or take.

Yeah, total time "out the door" is the same with either track (40 multi/100 multi). The only difference, other than price, is what aircraft type you fly on the "crew" cross countries. 40hr track, you're in a single. 100hr track, you're in a twin.

Back