Started ATP 2 Days Ago

Doing my IFR part 61. What's so hard about holds and DME Arcs in your opinion?

To be honest I think the hardest part was figuring out the sim. All my training had been done in a glass cockpit to that point so learning the 6 pack was interesting while learning how to load approaches and read approach charts all at once. I'm much more comfortable with it now that I'm starting to get a small grasp. What location are you at?

Holds just 'clicked' with me after beating my head against a wall.

The great thing about holds is that past the checkride, as long as you're on the protected side of the hold, ATC does not care what method you use. Which is fine for day-to-day, but detrimental to progressing to being a CFI or CF-II. You gotta know the why, man.

To be honest I think the hardest part was figuring out the sim. All my training had been done in a glass cockpit to that point so learning the 6 pack was interesting while learning how to load approaches and read approach charts all at once. I'm much more comfortable with it now that I'm starting to get a small grasp. What location are you at?

I'm not at ATP, but I do reside in PHX. Doing all my stuff Part 61, with an outfit called Angel Aviation at KGEU. Loving it so far.

I didn't want to start a new thread for an unimportant question so I'll add it on to this ATP thread. I'm starting ATP in February and I'm looking over the required items checklist. I'm a bit confused as to what I should do for some of the items:

IFR hood. I've used the actual hood and foggles and I'm not going to buy those - hated them. I found a pair of "BLOCKALLS IFR View Limiting Device (Black)" which look like black sunglasses with a small clear area. Does anyone recommend these?

Kneeboard. I'll have the ipad mini so I wanted an board that didn't have a strap that covered the ipad. This ASA Board seems simple. What did you all use or what would you recommend?

Headset. I have a friend who may have a spare headset. However, if that falls through, would going cheaper be a bad idea? I'm looking at set under $100 (KORE AVIATION P1). Any advice here would be helpful as well.

Also, if there are any items not on the checklist or other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much. Fly Safe,

~ Dan

Highly recommend the blockalls.

Use a kneeboard you will be comfortable with, but I recommend this one: http://www.forpilotsonly.com/iPad-mini-kneeboard.htm

While they are expensive, I'd look into the Bose or Lightspeed options. Cheaper wouldn't be a bad idea but if you wind up instructing, you're likely going to want to make the investment at some point.

Second the knee board recco - or some kind of a yoke mounting system would be good too.

Don't cheap out on the headset. It's going to be on your head for the next 300 hours at ATP, and beyond. Buy nice (and comfy), or buy twice.

Good luck!

I didn't want to start a new thread for an unimportant question so I'll add it on to this ATP thread. I'm starting ATP in February and I'm looking over the required items checklist. I'm a bit confused as to what I should do for some of the items:

IFR hood. I've used the actual hood and foggles and I'm not going to buy those - hated them. I found a pair of "BLOCKALLS IFR View Limiting Device (Black)" which look like black sunglasses with a small clear area. Does anyone recommend these?

Kneeboard. I'll have the ipad mini so I wanted an board that didn't have a strap that covered the ipad. This ASA Board seems simple. What did you all use or what would you recommend?

Headset. I have a friend who may have a spare headset. However, if that falls through, would going cheaper be a bad idea? I'm looking at set under $100 (KORE AVIATION P1). Any advice here would be helpful as well.

Also, if there are any items not on the checklist or other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

~ Dan
The blockalls will do just fine. Knee board, get one with decent ratings. Mine is alright and will get me through the course and instructing just fine, don't go too crazy. As for headsets for me personally bose or lightspeed is overkill as I see a few students and instructors with them but the majority including myself are running typical David Clarks. I wouldn't advise on getting anything less than David Clarks though. $100 headsets will most likely cause you to buy another pair sooner than later. Once ATP sends you the stuff make sure to read through the Archer Supplement several times and be able to answer most of the questions in the back. Also have the V speeds in the small archer supplement book memorized. You'll be glad you did, along with having the modules done.

The blockalls will do just fine. Knee board, get one with decent ratings. Mine is alright and will get me through the course and instructing just fine, don't go too crazy. As for headsets for me personally bose or lightspeed is overkill as I see a few students and instructors with them but the majority including myself are running typical David Clarks. I wouldn't advise on getting anything less than David Clarks though. $100 headsets will most likely cause you to buy another pair sooner than later. Once ATP sends you the stuff make sure to read through the Archer Supplement several times and be able to answer most of the questions in the back. Also have the V speeds in the small archer supplement book memorized. You'll be glad you did, along with having the modules done.

Thanks, Brandon! I think my friend has his old headset so I think be okay. I'll buy the ear pad covers. I confirmed my start date today so my materials are on the way. So excited. See you up there and thanks again for the insight.

Fly safe,

~ Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headsets: your friend's old headset is ok to get you started, but as soon as possible, get yourself a headset with ANR. Your ears will thank you later in life. Personally, I have the Bose, but if you get a better deal on the DC or Lightspeed ANRs, they'll serve you just as well. It's a steep price, but it's an investment. It's protection.

I did all of my PPL training with a pair of non-ANR DCs. They were "good enough" though the noise levels were still a little bothersome in a Skyhawk. The ANR headset I have now makes a huge difference in noise, almost to the point that it seems quieter than the noise levels in my car driving down the interstate.

~ Dan

Headset - I'm using a non ANR headset with thick comfort earseals. That with thin framed aviator glasses or shades should be fine. You won't go deaf. I just started flying but have been in aviation and around loud drummers for more than 30 years and I can still hear a mouse break wind in the neighbors kitchen.

iPad - consider a yoke mount device instead of a kneeboard. Two of my roomates have done so and I'm jealous I haven't. When you have to brief the approach and fly the plane, it makes more sense to have all that stuff in your line of sight. Your eyes will barely leave the panel to glance at the yoke as opposed to looking down into your lap.

Headset - I'm using a non ANR headset with thick comfort earseals. That with thin framed aviator glasses or shades should be fine. You won't go deaf. I just started flying but have been in aviation and around loud drummers for more than 30 years and I can still hear a mouse break wind in the neighbors kitchen.

iPad - consider a yoke mount device instead of a kneeboard. Two of my roomates have done so and I'm jealous I haven't. When you have to brief the approach and fly the plane, it makes more sense to have all that stuff in your line of sight. Your eyes will barely leave the panel to glance at the yoke as opposed to looking down into your lap.

This is good advice about the iPad - I will throw you one caveat...

iPad minis mount better on a yoke than full-size iPads do. The issue that I've had with the yoke mounts on some airplanes is that vibration can make some of the smaller type a bit hard to see. Then again, my eyes aren't nearly as good as they were 20 years ago.

On some long solo XCs, I have used the yoke mount but mounted on the right-side yoke and angled things toward me. It made the cabin a bit roomier.

This is good advice about the iPad - I will throw you one caveat...

iPad minis mount better on a yoke than full-size iPads do. The issue that I've had with the yoke mounts on some airplanes is that vibration can make some of the smaller type a bit hard to see. Then again, my eyes aren't nearly as good as they were 20 years ago.

On some long solo XCs, I have used the yoke mount but mounted on the right-side yoke and angled things toward me. It made the cabin a bit roomier.

Quite true, most of us use minis here.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will certainly purchase a better headset down the road. I appreciate the feedback on how the knee board is tilted and I'll look into making my own alterations as well.

The airline I work for now uses full size iPads and they mount to the window so they are just to the right or left of the field of view. My outfit asks for the knee pad so I'll stick with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back