Started ATP 2 Days Ago

Since you've had some time to get familiar with the program and such, how has your experience been with the instruction? Do you know how other instructors are besides just yours? The reason i ask is besides the price, instructors are the most complained about aspect of ATP. Thanks!

Also, how well run is the FXE location in you opinion? thats the location that i am considering as well.

I started ATP this week and the program seems to be very organized so far. Instructors are at least on par with others I have flown with at other schools and seem to be always available for questions. PM me if you have any specific questions.

BCT...just curious...why not just sign on with a regional and let them pay for your ATP? They all are offering it now. Im at PSA and we cant get enough guys and girls to fill a thimble.

Ru planning to go somewhere else?

BCT...just curious...why not just sign on with a regional and let them pay for your ATP? They all are offering it now. Im at PSA and we cant get enough guys and girls to fill a thimble.

I started ATP flight school, not the rating. I'm still working on my instrument. :)

PSA is my end goal for the regionals. I am not aware of them paying for all of the schooling?

Hey Brandon K.
No nono...they DO NOT pay for schooling. Just give you some funds after u begin teaching.
Its all written out on the website. Plus u can call one of the pilot recruiters. But They (along with almost ALL of the regionals) are offering a new "tuition reimbursement" program, which is why I assume, you are attending ATP school.
Lots of details, but part of it is once you sign on and begin training, PSA will offer the ATP cert class as part of the initial. They call it a $5000 "VALUE" even tho they dont actually 'reimburse" this part of it. YOu get your ATP cert plus a CRJ type. You should have it all in place by the time you start training at ATP. Once you begin teaching at the ATP school, PSA will start paying you $6000 over the next 12 months. LIke the other regionals, PSA wont do anything for you until you begin actually teaching at ATP academy. Altough, I did read on another thread that AirWiscon. is signing up boys and girls with as little as 800TT. By that I mean, just signing a commitment to work for them. So you sort of might have a slot when you hit 1500TT.
So that's $11,000 "reimbursement" that they talk about. PSA is huuuuurrrrting for FOs. They just gave all the FOs employed at PSA., (not those in training or on their way) a $20,000 "retention bonus'"...!! Not too bad. Spread out over 2 yrs, paid quarterly, tax up the ask, works out to about $1600. per Quarter. It's something since those guys didnot get in on the "hiring bonus" program.

Last edited:
Okay....next question....So IFR...Comm? ME? Again this is helping me immensely in deciding where to go.... Will you do the IFR,comm checkride together in single or multi?
Or do they do all separately?

Standing by....
I am now doing Private ME I have my check ride on friday, this one moves VERY VERY fast 4 sims 4 flights and check ride. I am taking it the 27th of May. After ME I do instrument in the Seminole, which is nice cause I get that ME time. I am doing the 100 hour ME program, if you do the 40 hour ME program, you go from PPL to Instrument then to ME.

Since you've had some time to get familiar with the program and such, how has your experience been with the instruction? Do you know how other instructors are besides just yours? The reason i ask is besides the price, instructors are the most complained about aspect of ATP. Thanks!
The instruction has been awesome, my first instructor was awesome! He left for Piedmont now and I got assigned a new instructor which is also great, teaches my style, does a lot of ground, and I can literally text him whenever with a question and he gets back to me. In regards to FXE, I literally have no complaints. The place is run very good, if you ever have a problem with your plane they squawk it and get it fixed ASAP, they even flew another Seminole in for another guy was taking a check ride cause he was having a problem with the manifold pressure gauge on the one he was taking. There are two sims that you can just fire up whenever they're not being used and practice, its accessible 24/7 so you can pop in there whenever you want to use the sim, or just to study.

Hey Brandon K.
No nono...they DO NOT pay for schooling. Just give you some funds after u begin teaching.
Its all written out on the website. Plus u can call one of the pilot recruiters. But They (along with almost ALL of the regionals) are offering a new "tuition reimbursement" program, which is why I assume, you are attending ATP school.
Lots of details, but part of it is once you sign on and begin training, PSA will offer the ATP cert class as part of the initial. They call it a $5000 "VALUE" even tho they dont actually 'reimburse" this part of it. YOu get your ATP cert plus a CRJ type. You should have it all in place by the time you start training at ATP. Once you begin teaching at the ATP school, PSA will start paying you $6000 over the next 12 months. LIke the other regionals, PSA wont do anything for you until you begin actually teaching at ATP academy. Altough, I did read on another thread that AirWiscon. is signing up boys and girls with as little as 800TT. By that I mean, just signing a commitment to work for them. So you sort of might have a slot when you hit 1500TT.
So that's $11,000 "reimbursement" that they talk about. PSA is huuuuurrrrting for FOs. They just gave all the FOs employed at PSA., (not those in training or on their way) a $20,000 "retention bonus'"...!! Not too bad. Spread out over 2 yrs, paid quarterly, tax up the ask, works out to about $1600. per Quarter. It's something since those guys didnot get in on the "hiring bonus" program.

Okay, that's what I kind of figured. I've been talking with a PSA recruiter for about a month just asking questions and such. I actually just finalized my starting day with ATP this afternoon for August 15th so I'm pretty excited about that. Now I just need to grab an iPad mini and a headset. I'm thinking of the David clark 10-13.4 I believe it is. Do you (or anyone else) have recommendations for headsets?

Okay, that's what I kind of figured. I've been talking with a PSA recruiter for about a month just asking questions and such. I actually just finalized my starting day with ATP this afternoon for August 15th so I'm pretty excited about that. Now I just need to grab an iPad mini and a headset. I'm thinking of the David clark 10-13.4 I believe it is. Do you (or anyone else) have recommendations for headsets?

Congratulations on getting a concrete date. Like others have said, it's a good idea to get all of the writtens out of the way prior to starting the program. As long as you've already put down a deposit for ATP, they will reimburse any written you complete between now and starting the program. I went in on day 1 and filled out a reimbursement form, and the money was refunded a couple of days later.

As for the headset, plenty of threads about it in the general topics section. I started out with a DC and now have a QT Halo. The QT is great, but only if you're ok with the in-ear type headsets. The DCs were good, but I have a big head so they would hurt after 1-2 hours, and there was a lot of sweating too with those large cups over the ear.

Hey Brandon, as for headsets, I have flown jumpseat a zillion times and the crews all have every brand and type of headset. So I would really just get what u thnk will fit best.
The in ear plug type are nice but I see guys jump up for the seat and almost shred the headset in the process,ie very delicate.....And they leave them on the plane a lot...
I would get something not too expensive and with ANR for now. Wait for Xmas, Fathers Day etc. once you get the jet job for the headset upgrade.

Congratulations on getting a concrete date. Like others have said, it's a good idea to get all of the writtens out of the way prior to starting the program. As long as you've already put down a deposit for ATP, they will reimburse any written you complete between now and starting the program. I went in on day 1 and filled out a reimbursement form, and the money was refunded a couple of days later.

As for the headset, plenty of threads about it in the general topics section. I started out with a DC and now have a QT Halo. The QT is great, but only if you're ok with the in-ear type headsets. The DCs were good, but I have a big head so they would hurt after 1-2 hours, and there was a lot of sweating too with those large cups over the ear.

Pertaining to getting my writtens out of the way how will I know what to study? Will I be receiving study books and stuff from the school?

Pertaining to getting my writtens out of the way how will I know what to study? Will I be receiving study books and stuff from the school?

If you've already paid your deposit they should be sending you your materials soon enough. As I already had my PPL when I started, I'm not sure what materials they send out for your PPL, but any PPL knowledge exam prep book or app should be fine (like Sporty's or Gleim). For the other writtens, ATP can provide you with credentials to the Sheppard Air study apps (you have to pass one before they give you access to another).

If you've already paid your deposit they should be sending you your materials soon enough. As I already had my PPL when I started, I'm not sure what materials they send out for your PPL, but any PPL knowledge exam prep book or app should be fine (like Sporty's or Gleim). For the other writtens, ATP can provide you with credentials to the Sheppard Air study apps (you have to pass one before they give you access to another).
Good to know. I have sportys study buddy, is the info in that alone enough to pass the ppl written?

As others have said, thank you for starting this thread.

I went through the ATP 90 day at $39,000 (12% from the ever gracious sallie mae which i consolidated as soon i got out)prog in RDU in 2013. Loved my time there and was fortunate to have good instructors.

All the best! you are off to a great start! :)

As others have said, thank you for starting this thread.

I went through the ATP 90 day at $39,000 (12% from the ever gracious sallie mae which i consolidated as soon i got out)prog in RDU in 2013. Loved my time there and was fortunate to have good instructors.

All the best! you are off to a great start! :)

I'm using Sallie Mae as well and have a crazy 10% rate. Do you mind sharing how you went about consolidating?

If you folks don't mind sharing, how did you qualify for the Sallie Mae loan and did you get the full amount? I would need above the amount of the advertised program price to ensure payment of the exams, materials, etc. I haven't been able to qualify for loans on my income alone, even when my job provided what would be considered a solid income, and my credit score is above 800. The next best thing I can think of to qualify is to have a co-signer who makes considerably more money than I do.

Back