Started ATP 2 Days Ago

Yeah, total time "out the door" is the same with either track (40 multi/100 multi). The only difference, other than price, is what aircraft type you fly on the "crew" cross countries. 40hr track, you're in a single. 100hr track, you're in a twin.
That makes sense.

So if I'm reading this right, since I have 120ish hours, I could expect to have roughly 370 or so hours before the CFI portion?
I'm assuming with that many hours you already have your PPL. Knock off 80hrs for that as that is the time you're alotted for you PPL. So I'd add maybe 150 hours to your 120

Well you just logged in. So what's the update? ;)
Lol, update is studying like crazy. You're basically thrown into the water and it's up to you to figure out what you're supposed to study. It's been about 7 weeks since I started and I feel like I'm finally starting to figure out what I need to study. I've gained about 35 hours total so far and if I can get VFR conditions some day this week I'll start my first XC flight, looks to be a 3 hour total flight.

Lol, update is studying like crazy. You're basically thrown into the water and it's up to you to figure out what you're supposed to study. It's been about 7 weeks since I started and I feel like I'm finally starting to figure out what I need to study. I've gained about 35 hours total so far and if I can get VFR conditions some day this week I'll start my first XC flight, looks to be a 3 hour total flight.

Thanks!

Well hang in there. It'll all be over before you know it...well maybe. lol.

So since this thread has evolved into more of a general ATP question thread, I'll ask here:

The pants. ATP website says "Chinos." In practice, do they really care if your pants are really chinos or will a basic, no frills pair of dress pants work? I have plenty in my closet already and really don't want to have to purchase new pants based on a technicality.

No it does not have to be strictly chinos. As long as they are appropriate for flight training and not unprofessional.

So since this thread has evolved into more of a general ATP question thread, I'll ask here:

The pants. ATP website says "Chinos." In practice, do they really care if your pants are really chinos or will a basic, no frills pair of dress pants work? I have plenty in my closet already and really don't want to have to purchase new pants based on a technicality.
I wear dickies khaki shorts everyday and no one has said anything. I've seen guys wear jeans to be honest.

No it does not have to be strictly chinos. As long as they are appropriate for flight training and not unprofessional.

Enforcement of the dress code really depends on which TC you're studying at. Some don't give a damn (California, Vegas). Some are really uptight.

So I have a question for those of you that started at ATP with zero flight time. During your PPL training, is it the norm to not file flight plans and open the flight plan during the cross country training phase? Or even fill out x-c log and use it? Meaning fuel burn, headings,time between checkpoints, etc.

So I have a question for those of you that started at ATP with zero flight time. During your PPL training, is it the norm to not file flight plans and open the flight plan during the cross country training phase? Or even fill out x-c log and use it? Meaning fuel burn, headings,time between checkpoints, etc.

While I already had my PPL when I started at ATP, during my time there, I did see PPL students having to fill out nav logs and flight plan forms. Did the same for my instrument and commercial.

While your instructor should cover filing, opening, and closing a VFR flight plan at some point, you will likely not perform this during your training. As for the paper navlog, your instructor should have you filling one out and using it during each XC lesson.

Thanks for the responses. I guess maybe things have changed since I did my training back in the old days. Then again, most of these planes have much better avionics compared to the C-150 I flew. :)

Back