Started ATP 2 Days Ago

Miguel Villazon

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello,

I see a lot of people with questions regarding the ATP Airline Career Pilot program. I started the program 2 days ago, March 7, 2016. I want to make this thread for people who want to get a first hand account of someone who is actually in the program. A little about me, I am a completely new pilot, do not have any hours, so I am starting from zero time. The program cost me $74,500 which includes $5,000 for checkride fees. I got a fixed rate loan with Wells Fargo at 6% interest. I'd love to answer any questions anyone has about the program. I'll also try to keep updating this thread with pictures and a small recap of what the days look like.

Days 1 & 2:

When you start from zero time, you need to accumulate 7 hours before you start maneuvers such as steep turns and stalls. I am halfway through the 7 hours and should be done with them tomorrow. I added some pics, the planes all appear to be in awesome shape and sound great all throughout the Flight. Hope this info is helpful to some of you guys. I'll keep the updates coming for anyone interested.

Hey - guys, let's let the guy do this thread and let other people ask questions. @Derg knows better than most how many threads there are asking questions about ATP and talking about the costs. Let's not use this thread as another platform for that, okay?

@Miguel Villazon - good luck to you. What location are you training from?

I think I need to become an examiner. $5,000? Assuming that is PPL/INST/C-ASEL/C-MEL/CFI/CFI-II/MEI, that is like $720 a ride.
Well, I requested the school to write me a out a check for the $4,800. Since it isn't a part of the tuition, there's no reason why they needed to hold on to it. Also, the loan accrues zero interest until a year after my start date. So if I don't use all of the $4800, I can dump whatever I have left of it right back into the loan. Don't see the harm in it.

Good on you for starting this thread. This could be really helpful for many folks.
Completely unrelated to your training: Wow! It's so... weird to see a plane with a G600 on one side and nothing on the other.

Good luck buddy.

Those Archers look nice and clean and look well maintained on the inside. Can't say that about the ones I instruct in. :ooh: Enjoy your training!! Please try to enjoy it even though it will be rushed. Ask stupid questions always so you learn more. A good pilot is always learning!...and trust me, even instructors ask pretty stupid questions DAILY!

Keep us updated and welcome

Good on you for starting this thread. This could be really helpful for many folks.
Completely unrelated to your training: Wow! It's so... weird to see a plane with a G600 on one side and nothing on the other.
Hahaha! Yeah it is weird how it's set up like that. Thanks for the comment man.

Good luck buddy.

Those Archers look nice and clean and look well maintained on the inside. Can't say that about the ones I instruct in. :ooh: Enjoy your training!! Please try to enjoy it even though it will be rushed. Ask stupid questions always so you learn more. A good pilot is always learning!...and trust me, even instructors ask pretty stupid questions DAILY!

Keep us updated and welcome
Thanks man! I'm really enjoying it. Just started steep turns, power on/off stalls, and slow flight today. So it's getting fun now. And I'll definitely keep asking the questions. Thanks!

Days 3 & 4:

Day three and 4 have both consisted of going up for 2 hours each day and practicing maneuvers such as slow fight, power on/off stalls, emergency descents, and others. The training is going very well and my instructor is really good, he lets me makes mistakes and doesn't just grab the yoke every time something is going wrong.

Awesome, I trained in and taught in 299nd, enjoy the journey, work hard and you will do well. I remember my time there fondly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

What is your daily schedule like?
@AKpilotDream this is still my first week, so they require that you do 7 hours of just flying around with your CFI and learn the plane and get familiar with it. My CFI started showing me and has had me do the private pilot maneuvers so I can get a feel for them. So, this week has been, 3 hours of flying time each day and then I have to complete the online module that the instructs assigns me. I will keep this page updated as much as I can so people can see what it looks like once I really get into, it should really kick in next week.

I am nearing the end of the two week mark. The training is very consistent, drill it into your head type style. With that being said it is very self led, so you need to stay on top of the online course work in the student extranet. Each day I show up to the training center and my instructor and I do the same thing. Go to the plane, preflight, checklists, ATIS, and we start taxiing. Take off and do maneuvers for 2 hours straight. Power on/off stalls, slow flight, steep turns, s-turns, and so on. Afterwards, I come back home or stay in the training center and follow up with the training module online. Hope this is helping out some of you guys that are trying to decide on ATP. Ill try to keep updating this as much as I can.

March 23, 2016: Today we busted out the foggles and did some instrument flying. We also continued working on stalls, slow flight, emergency descents, and landings. 2 hours of flying and self study is the way the programs works. I've had 4 days of ground school one-on-one with the instructor. You definitely need a lot of motivation to stay on track with the program.

Saturday March 23, 2016: On Monday I'll hit the third week mark of the program. Again, it moves very quickly and you need to be able to keep up with the studying. Your life needs to revolve around ATP to make the fast track work out. For the next 5 days, we'll be doing nothing but landings for two hours. Thanks @AKpilotDream for the encouragement, I appreciate it, definitely a fun time.

Back