Santa Monica to close by July 2018?

I'm fairly confident they will not build low income housing.

I think you should do some research then. Being a semi-local, Measure LC is only a temporary reprieve from future developments, and the park that is proposed would be temporary until they rezone the area, and there is a HUGE push in Santa Monica right now for affordable housing, since nearly none exists. There was a proposal that was out there (I can't find it, but I'm still looking) that was put forth by the city counsel a few years back for low income housing. Then, a few people came up with the idea of "well, let's build a park! Maybe that will go over better than housing. We'll call it 'Measure LC' and let the people vote on it!" I've been following this for ten years now. Trust when I tell you that a park site would only be temporary. They "need" low income housing much more than they need a park. Santa Monica is ripe with places for recreation. The beach and parks are only minutes away from any spot in the city by bike, car, or rail. I live out this way, I speak from experience. This rodeo has become old and tiresome. Bill Dunn (AOPA) had almost an entire tenure with AOPA before he finally retired recently, defending keeping the airport open.

These low income housing proposals, if memory serves, were put forth circa '12-14. Then, Friends of Sunset Park got involved in the mess and everything changed, for the short term. These guys are a bunch of NIMBY's, that will say whatever they want, to get what they want.

They want low income housing, because they will get a big chunk of state money if they build it. They took $250k in federal money that they are considering paying back so they can take $1.2m in state money for the proposed development. (this is all from memory, and like I said, I am looking for the link)

Low income housing, you think the residents are upset about an airport just watch. It will take 25 years to develop anything there with all the lawsuits. There are groups out there that just file stuff just to slow the process. And low income is based on relative price, I believe it's like 60%. So when white plains lost their suit against HUD a few years back and the development had to offer low income for the price of like $660K, and those people were super mad.

Eminent domain — the right of a government or its agent to expropriate private property for public use, with payment of compensation. Or, by Supreme Court decree: Eminent domain — The process by which some entrepreneurs get local governments to abuse their eminent domain authority in order to avoid paying the owner what the land is worth.
I know what eminent domain is and how organizations use it. The spelling meant something different.

I think you should do some research then. Being a semi-local, Measure LC is only a temporary reprieve from future developments, and the park that is proposed would be temporary until they rezone the area, and there is a HUGE push in Santa Monica right now for affordable housing, since nearly none exists. There was a proposal that was out there (I can't find it, but I'm still looking) that was put forth by the city counsel a few years back for low income housing. Then, a few people came up with the idea of "well, let's build a park! Maybe that will go over better than housing. We'll call it 'Measure LC' and let the people vote on it!" I've been following this for ten years now. Trust when I tell you that a park site would only be temporary. They "need" low income housing much more than they need a park. Santa Monica is ripe with places for recreation. The beach and parks are only minutes away from any spot in the city by bike, car, or rail. I live out this way, I speak from experience. This rodeo has become old and tiresome. Bill Dunn (AOPA) had almost an entire tenure with AOPA before he finally retired recently, defending keeping the airport open.

These low income housing proposals, if memory serves, were put forth circa '12-14. Then, Friends of Sunset Park got involved in the mess and everything changed, for the short term. These guys are a bunch of NIMBY's, that will say whatever they want, to get what they want.

They want low income housing, because they will get a big chunk of state money if they build it. They took $250k in federal money that they are considering paying back so they can take $1.2m in state money for the proposed development. (this is all from memory, and like I said, I am looking for the link)
I know exactly what you're talking about. I also know that the people of Santa Monica will have that site so deep in litigation you'll be a ripe grandfather by the time anything gets done.
There is a similar story taking place about 1/2 mile from my place in Hermosa Beach. The AES power plant in Redondo Beach is creating quite a stir as well. Whatever happens to that site won't be for a decade or more and unless some corporation has the staying power to see the litigation through.

Either way, the end game is always money. The city of Santa Monica wants it gone so property values go up which drives higher property taxes, etc.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I also know that the people of Santa Monica will have that site so deep in litigation you'll be a ripe grandfather by the time anything gets done.
There is a similar story taking place about 1/2 mile from my place in Hermosa Beach. The AES power plant in Redondo Beach is creating quite a stir as well. Whatever happens to that site won't be for a decade or more and unless some corporation has the staying power to see the litigation through.

Either way, the end game is always money. The city of Santa Monica wants it gone so property values go up which drives higher property taxes, etc.

I think that's exactly why Measure LC was written the way it was. To leave it open ended for the housing. There is a "housing crisis" in Santa Monica right now. I use quotes because it's another NIMBY deal. The people I know who live in the town don't want the "common folk" intrusion. Their are far more big dollar developments happening than low income ones. It's all political fluff.

FWIW, it's not just airports.

Where I went to school, the local neighborhood HATED the university with a blind passion.

I found this odd...most places...Auburn, for example, seem to offer up their first born child to the football gods and trip over themselves to facilitate whatever the University wanted.

Where I went to school, there was nothing but contempt in the neighborhoods around the University, and it was seen not as a economic generator, but as a nuisance. Albeit a nuisance that had been around since 1845. So unless the locals were 4th or 5th generation in the same spot, they really didn't have anything to complain about.

The good news is that not a lot of people complained about the local GA airport, except for maybe the catfish.

Richman

A rumor that this is all about the local election season for Santa Monica politicians trying to get more votes?

Yeah, I'd buy that, knowing Santa Monica politics and the way it, traditionally has leveraged identity against the rest of Southern California.

I spent my early afternoon at Locanda Veneta watching Hawker after Gulfstream after Legacy configure for SMO. That's where the argument is. Where else has proximity and capacity? Van Nuys, sure, after that, Torrance? Maybe.....Hawthorne....hehe...no.

I don't see the Santa Monica city council having the "herbs" to pull a Daley and frankly SMO fills an important space in our infrastructure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW, it's not just airports.

Where I went to school, the local neighborhood HATED the university with a blind passion.

I found this odd...most places...Auburn, for example, seem to offer up their first born child to the football gods and trip over themselves to facilitate whatever the University wanted.

Where I went to school, there was nothing but contempt in the neighborhoods around the University, and it was seen not as a economic generator, but as a nuisance. Albeit a nuisance that had been around since 1845. So unless the locals were 4th or 5th generation in the same spot, they really didn't have anything to complain about.

The good news is that not a lot of people complained about the local GA airport, except for maybe the catfish.

Richman

Where I went to school the population generally enjoyed the lifestyle the university created for the town over the 100 years it grew, with the town. Sadly, the college town it was created desirable real estate.

New residents found their high dollar investment infested with college students.....Whah?

Police and policy ensues. College town becomes limp wristed shadow of its former self.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is pretty much a central topic of conversation in DC right now - not SMO, but what to do with this and that piece of land.

Society is centralizing and living space is getting prohibitively expensive in any major market.

The NIMBYS will lose eventually. They'll fight to the last breath, but they will lose over time.

If they do close we don't have to stay above 7000 until SMO and then dive and drive. They should probably create a fix over old SMO called "PANSY" at 3000 and speed 140, NOTAM'ed to recommend gear down flaps full and power pax.

Probably just add noise sensors in the neighbor hood.

This happened to Berz Macomb (KUIZ) in Michigan. The airport fought it for years and finally gave up and made a fortune selling for Condo and homes.

From flyover country: our commiseration is fairly limited. You've gotten rich by hook or by crook and now you're mad that those richer still than you are making too much noise in the land of the "have"s? What if the Commonwealth of Kentucky were to offer you up 40 acres of Superfund? Quiet as the grave. No deed restrictions whatsoever! Come on out, suddenly-sensitive types. Bring your checkbooks and hazmat suits!

And I can't even put up an antenna in my deed restricted community.

Shot a wire over a tree with a sling shot to set up a simple end fed dipole, and got a letter in my box not 24 hours later.

You couldn't even see it. WTF?

Richman

Back