Northwest Overshoot / Cert Action....

Re: DeltaWest Overshoots Destination....

In the paper this morning...

1027091407.jpg

I am sorry if I am out of my lane because I am not a commercial pilot but these guys made a mistake that in different times would be a two day event not 3 days of headline news. The media outlets want to hang the airlines for every little thing they do, from lost baggage to pilot error. John Q public eats it up because they also hate the airlines because the big bag airlines are revenue generating machines that charge passengers for every little thing like fuel surcharges and extra long seatbelts for fat people.

Mr John Q public wants to hang these two guys for an error, that although bad, did not lead to any harm. The same people that want to hang these guys probably drive down the freeway at rush hour going 100MPH on their cell phone and reading the morning paper.

I am on an airplane 3 days week traveling for work and I see the hard working people that make the airlines work (the ground crew, pilots, and flight attendants). At some point everyone makes a mistake at their job. Suspend the pilots for a month with out pay and make them do recurrent training.

Sorry for the rant but I am of the mentality that flying is a privelage and not a right. My Dad always talks about the glory days of commerical airlines travel when people dressed up to get on planes. I wish they would bring those back so I could experience them.

Rant over.

Are there any statistics that show how many licenses are revoked by he FAA each year? just curious.

I like how in that cartoon there is a FE panel, old school cartoonist.

I haven't seen anyone say this in this thread yet, but if they wern't sleeping, and they wern't arguing...then...you know, maybe something else was going on.

Just sayin'.
http://forums.jetcareers.com/1317966-post181.html ;)
So, according to the FO (who should most definitely NOT be speaking to the media!) they weren't sleeping and weren't involved in a heated discussion about company policies. What the hell is behind door #3? Perusing the pages of Penthouse/Hustler? Joining the Mile High Club? :dunno: :insane:

Would filing a NASA form have helped in this case? Just curious.
I wonder if they did - if so will that come out in the appeal?

I suppose whatever happens now they're pretty screwed - its almost like first we have Sully who makes the profession look great then the media has to go all out to prove otherwise and presto - along come these two clowns.

The sad part is that these guys are probably excellent pilots who just made a silly mistake - shoot they got this far without hurting anyone or getting killed, they must have done something right.

Another question for the Airline guys - isn't there an insurance similar to a Doctor. Something like a loss of license insurance? I thought I heard of this sometime ago, maybe I dreamt it!

BP244

Re: Northwest Overshoot Pilots Lose Ticket

Slow news days are bad times to go NORDO surfing your laptop. Hope the best for these guys in the future.

I can potentially see a suspension, but a revocation sounds a little politically motivated.

However, if we weren't under a 24-hour a day news cycle with the Wolfs, the Shepards, the Brewers, would this even be a, oh GOD pardon the pun, a blip on the radar screen?

If things went down as the report says, those guys deserve to have their tickets revoked. They completely neglected all flight duties for almost an hour and a half! That is unacceptable.

Don't do stupid stuff!

I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, and innocent until proven guilty, but these guys admitted to this... I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around how they could do that, I really am.

If things went down as the report says, those guys deserve to have their tickets revoked. They completely neglected all flight duties for almost an hour and a half! That is unacceptable.

Don't do stupid stuff!

I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, and innocent until proven guilty, but these guys admitted to this... I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around how they could do that, I really am.

Agreed! I'm incredulous that not just one, but BOTH of them losing all SA. It just doesn't seem possible. Well, you know what they say, truth is stranger than fiction. On some level I feel terribly sad for them...all those years and tens of thousands of hours GONE. I hate to sound dramatic, but I hope they can live with this and find some peace within themselves.

I wonder to what extent this is a "There but for the grace of God go I issue?"

:yeahthat:

Everyone makes mistakes. But they ADMIT to blowing off flying in order to fiddle around with a scheduling program.

Well, at least they won't have to worry about that scheduling program anymore.

And speaking of doing something stupid, what they should have done is SHUT THE HELL UP! They were in hot water, they shouldn't have given anyone anything to use to push them under. By opening their mouths, they hung themselves.

The only thing they should have said in response to media questions was "no comment."

Did they loose everything or just their ATPs/Commercials?

Wow, isn't that a paradox. . .technology flying the airplane while the pilots are befuddled by technology of a laptop.

Blame it on a MAC. :sarcasm:

Did they loose everything or just their ATPs/Commercials?

When your certs are revoked, as opposed to "suspended", they are GONE. It's like they never existed. If you want to fly again after having your certs revoked you have to completely start over. Pass all your writtens, pass all the checkrides, build up hours, etc.

When your certs are revoked, as opposed to "suspended", they are GONE. It's like they never existed. If you want to fly again after having your certs revoked you have to completely start over. Pass all your writtens, pass all the checkrides, build up hours, etc.

. . .which makes me wonder why, after this initial investigation, they were not suspended?

Back