Plane Down in Buffalo - Colgan Continental Flight 3407

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? I mean, seriously? Jesus, I've just lost what little faith I had left in journalism.

I lost that long ago. I turned on MSNBC briefly last night while all of this was unfolding and turned within 30 seconds due to disgust with the clueless speculators they call "experts".

My condolences to the entire Colgan family.

Just a word of advice. If this is the first time something like this has happened to you, talk to your CIRP (Critical Incident Reponse Program) team members. They're trained to help you through a crisis like this.

It helps. It really does.

To further back up what Velo said-

In times like this it's normal to feel bad and feel shocked. You might feel a slightly surreal sense of detachment from your perceived surroundings. Maybe even a bit like life is a movie playing on a screen in front of your face and just swimming around you.

You might also be spiked on adrenaline and anger, or just feel sad, sullen, and depressed. Either way, you feel a little more distant from the world around you than normal.

Stop and take an honest assessment of how you really feel, and then SLOW DOWN.

Times like this make it difficult to understand one's true state of mind, but you may not be as composed as you think you are.

This, unfortunately, is a fairly normal response.

If you feel like this, I strongly suggest you speak with someone- ANYONE.. about how you're feeling. I helps more than you might realize and will benefit not just you but everyone around you.

This goes double for working crews. The additional level of distraction inherent in times like these can be taxing and erode your effectiveness.

Don't be the 'tough guy' that doesn't speak up because you think you can 'handle it'.

I speak from personal and witnessed experience- nobody's that tough. This sort of thing is insidiously subtle and strangely pervasive.

Get it out in the open. Nobody needs to face how they feel alone right now.

Hey guys.... I know there are 49 other folks that were taken from us suddenly last night, but anyone who has connections to Joe Z - if you could PM me if you find out about a memorial service. I'm in contact with another friend of his.

Thanks,

Rex

I know his family lives in San Diego. That's all I know though.

And we've got a good network of SMS and telephone numbers right here on the website. If you've got my number and stuff is bothering you, call me.

Thankfully, we're a pretty tight knit community so make use of our network to reach out if you need it.

When I first heard of the accident, for some reason in the instant that I heard it, thoughts of American Eagle 4184 came to mind.

I had the exact same initial reaction. Basically, "Oh no, it's Roselawn again." We'll find out a cause eventually and learn from it but it's tough right now.

I don't know anyone from Colgan but my short time on JC really has left me with a real appreciation for them.

It's just plain sad. Hang in there folks. It's small comfort, but a lot of people are thinking about you right now.

And we've got a good network of SMS and telephone numbers right here on the website. If you've got my number and stuff is bothering you, call me.

Thankfully, we're a pretty tight knit community so make use of our network to reach out if you need it.

One number I don't have is yours Douggie...

Woke up this morning to the news, my thoughts immediately went to JC and all the fine Colgan folks I met at NJC 07.

Sad news. It sounds as if we lost a crew comprised of true assets to our profession. My thoughts are with all who perished and those close to them.

Fly Safe

-Mark

I am a frequent lurker, just a private pilot, and not much drives me to want to post, but wow... just wow. In this day an age of anonymous tough guy internet forum garbage, the level of support and caring from this website is simply amazing. I am truly blown away.

I am a frequent lurker, just a private pilot, and not much drives me to want to post, but wow... just wow. In this day an age of anonymous tough guy internet forum garbage, the level of support and caring from this website is simply amazing. I am truly blown away.

The network of people and support on this site is what sets us apart from other sites, I think. It's one of the few reasons I'm so active on here now.

:yeahthat:This just shows as much as we can disagree sometimes that we all are on the same page when something bad happens, R.I.P to everyone involved.
Fly Safe.

By no means am I suggesting a cause, but how does one recognize a tail stall from a wing stall? I know the recovery procedures are the exact opposite - was just curious how they differ in appearance.

I was told when it happens you will feel a buffeting in the tail vs. a buffeting of the wings/airframe during a 'regular' stall; most noticeably on the yoke.

This is just so very sad :(. My heart and prayers go out to all the families affected by this tragedy, along with the colleagues of the crew involved.

Joe... normally that would happen, but the Q has hyd. elevator with artificial feel that is limited. sadly, the tail stall in the Q would most likely feel like a stick pusher activation, while the outside appearances would look like the stick pusher gone haywire.Again, my thoughts go out to all involved, I've just been called in to cover the back half of a pairing :(

By no means am I suggesting a cause, but how does one recognize a tail stall from a wing stall?

I was told when it happens you will feel a buffeting in the tail vs. a buffeting of the wings/airframe during a 'regular' stall; most noticeably on the yoke.

Disclaimer: I've never flown a Dash-8, but I can describe exactly how a tail stall feels in a Convair 580 because it happened to me once.

The Convair had a nasty habit of accreting tail ice even on blue sky clear days if the temperature/humidity was right. It had to do with the horizontal stab being right in line with the beavertails (exhausts).

Anyway, you would never notice it until you dropped the flaps. At that point the lift from the wings exceeded the ability of the horizontal stab to compensate.

The nose dropped like a rock. The only recovery was to go to full power and yank the flaps back up so the elevator would regain effectiveness. The problem was, it took almost 1000 feet of altitude to recover. When I instructed in the CV-580, I used to recommend to the guys that they get the aircraft configured above 1500' agl just in case, especially if there was any suspicion that the tail could be iced up.

My experience happened one day on arrival at NAS Norfolk. Fortunately, we were high enough when the nose pitched over to recover. But, it was a scary ride, I can assure you.

You rock, Doug.

The nose dropped like a rock. The only recovery was to go to full power and yank the flaps back up so the elevator would regain effectiveness. The problem was, it took almost 1000 feet of altitude to recover. When I instructed in the CV-580, I used to recommend to the guys that they get the aircraft configured above 1500' agl just in case, especially if there was any suspicion that the tail could be iced up.

This is the most valuable information I've read on this forum in a very long time. I'm sure the effects vary from plane to plane, but just like normal stalls the basic idea behind the recovery would be similar.

As for the rest, it just sucks. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back