Plane Down in Buffalo - Colgan Continental Flight 3407

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most recently built Citations, Stick Shaker Activation goes up about 10-15 kts(activated at lower AOA, happens sooner) with Airframe anti-ice selected on.

We have a similar correction in the Q. When we get the "ice detected" message there's a switch we hit that adds 20 kts to the calculated speeds for the stall protection system buffer.

Oh, awesome. I can already see the press trying to swing this around. "Pilots of 3407 violated company policy by using autopilot during icing!"

Give me a break, the limitation is "severe icing." By the time they knew they were in severe icing (IF they were, we don't know ANY of the facts) it may have already been too late.

Chealander says the preliminary investigation indicates the autopilot was still on when the plane crashed.
What a misleading and irresponsible statement. Chealander had already mentioned that the stickshaker kicked the autopilot off and that the crew tried to manually recover the aircraft. The aforementioned quote would lead you to believe that the crew allowed the autopilot to control the aircraft into the ground.

There's going to be another NTSB briefing on the news at 5pm, which is in just a few minutes. I have a feeling they'll be correcting that bad statement.

There's going to be another NTSB briefing on the news at 5pm, which is in just a few minutes. I have a feeling they'll be correcting that bad statement.

Thanks for the update, I am going to put it on channel 7 now!

edit: No news on 7 right now so I have it on CNN, however they are talking about some political cash solicitation...

The NTSB is clarifying the autopilot situation saying that it has NOT been determined the level of icing that was experienced.

Did anyone else want to slap that Fox News lady that came on right after?

I switched it on Fox when CNN changed the topic and the way how I felt she expressed it was as following, The crew was going against FAA policy, but didn't the NTSB guy just say they were legally doing everything and were flying normal?:banghead:

I wasn't home to watch it, but as I was driving home from eating out, a radio report said that the CA had only been on the Q for 2 months. Here we go......:rolleyes:
By tomorrow at the latest, I predict they'll report that he used to fly out of IAH, and put a spin on that. :banghead:

I switched it on Fox when CNN changed the topic and the way how I felt she expressed it was as following, The crew was going against FAA policy, but didn't the NTSB guy just say they were legally doing everything and were flying normal?:banghead:

Absolutely he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back