Plane Down in Buffalo - Colgan Continental Flight 3407

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had it with these freaking "experts". The genius's just showed a picture of the saab. Another one said that turboprops are more dangerous in icing. I can't stand it anymore.

I saw the same thing and turned it off at that point. I particularly liked Fox news' explanation of a stall, too.

MikeD told me way back in the day when I started at Riddle that I'd inevitably have to deal with this sort of thing. :confused: So so soon.....

Sad but true.

Once upon a time, I could count 'em all on one hand, then a few years later, it was two, now I pretty much stopped counting.

The important thing is trying to learn from these events and re-engineering those lessons back into your flying. That's probably the most productive way to honor your departed friends is by not only learning from those situations, but weaving those lessons back into your operations.

I don't know, but that's always helped me.

Someone on the news just said "carburetor ice" could have been a potential cause.

:banghead:

Does anyone know if the Colgan ALPA MEC Chairman has made any official statements yet?

I might have to give him a ring and tell him to put that media training to work.

Does anyone know if the Colgan ALPA MEC Chairman has made any official statements yet?

I might have to give him a ring and tell him to put that media training to work.

I just spoke with him on the phone about 2 min. ago. He is on his way to BUF right now. Nothing official, but he wanted me to pass along his hopes that we will all be able to lean on each other in these difficult times.

Colgan is still one of those companies where everyone knows everyone and are friends so we are all going to need each other in the coming days and weeks.

Be well.

That's really bad.

That's also why I have not turned on the news at ALL this morning....

I'll wait for the NTSB to tell me what happened.

I just spoke with him on the phone about 2 min. ago. He is on his way to BUF right now. Nothing official, but he wanted me to pass along his hopes that we will all be able to lean on each other in these difficult times.

Colgan is still one of those companies where everyone knows everyone and are friends so we are all going to need each other in the coming days and weeks.

Be well.

I talked to him this morning after FrogFlyer texted me. I think he's going to be a fantastic MEC chairman.

By no means am I suggesting a cause, but how does one recognize a tail stall from a wing stall? I know the recovery procedures are the exact opposite - was just curious how they differ in appearance.

By no means am I suggesting a cause, but how does one recognize a tail stall from a wing stall? I know the recovery procedures are the exact opposite - was just curious how they differ in appearance.

Well a big difference would be when the yoke gets ripped from your hands.

I lived with Joe during our time together in Jamestown and met with him several times in Buffalo and Chicago. He was one of the nicest people you could meet. RIP to all. :(

This is horrible. May the grace of the Lord be with all involved. I'm praying for the family, friends, and associates of the victims, and the entire Colgan organization. RIP.

So I just listened to the liveatc feed...... really gut ripping to listen to that.

It really is not something you would want to hear across the airwaves. Toward the end another pilot asks approach if they ever got a hold of Colgan and the controller gave the bad news that they went down just over the marker. Not long after that the pilot reports seeing the ground and asks tower if they are aware of what is going on and it is a very somber answer of yes. I could not imagine the other crews thoughts on the frequency.

I think some of our thoughts should be with the controllers who have to deal with this as well.

I'm surprised they haven't taken the tape off the air yet.

it's not good to listen and start speculating...that brings about unknown fear when we all know life is such a risk in itself.

just IMO and my 0.02

CNN isn't even transcribing the tape accurately. They print "Colgan" as "Call me 3407".

Then the Delta flight reports "... nothing on D-Cast"... which was actually TCAS.

This alone will muddle the publics perception. It pisses me off.

Hey guys.... I know there are 49 other folks that were taken from us suddenly last night, but anyone who has connections to Joe Z - if you could PM me if you find out about a memorial service. I'm in contact with another friend of his.

Thanks,

Rex

CNN isn't even transcribing the tape accurately. They print "Colgan" as "Call me 3407".

Then the Delta flight reports "... nothing on D-Cast"... which was actually TCAS.

This alone will muddle the publics perception. It pisses me off.

I can't stand when this happens. I really don't want to wayvh the news. I saw an interview with a familymember of one of the passengers and I felt horrible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back