YOUR opinion matters!!.....maybe

pilotsav27

I've recently graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology (I/O). I obviously want to fly for a living, seeing as how I am entangled through the countless threads on this site. However, I'm considering a masters degree in Aviation Science or Av. management. If I were to pursue this degree, will having it on my resume make me any more appealing to the airlines than the guy with only a BS/BA? I'm the type of person who loves to be the best at what I do, and I've proven that locally. The masters degree will be a great addition to my resume in general, but will it positively effect my chances of becoming a professional pilot? In addition, the Masters will also allow me to have more opportunity in the civilian world having the ability to work in the aviation industry, if my desire to be a pilot is relinquished. What are your thoughts??

Of course it makes you stand out more. Is it a requirement? No, but you already knew that...

I say anything that differentiates you from the rest of the applicants is a positive, not to mention its great to have a Masters if flying doesnt work out.

Hi pilotsav27,

I generally recommend to people to get an education outside of, or not connected to aviation. Reason: limiting oneself to nothing but Aviation is like putting all your retirement money into Chrysler stock. Get well educated with something you can see yourself doing besides being around airplanes. Then add your aviation degree later on.

Never limit your opportunities to venture into more profitable careers by being to focused on Aviation. While your degree may help with a specific airline, you end up just as furloughed as anyone else if disaster strikes. Then you want to have skills and abilities as well as knowledge about things which do not raise eyebrows on the recruiters side of the table.

Good luck!

The masters will make you stand out. It being in aviation (of any flavor) will not help you at all, and it will probably make you regret it in the long run. If you are going to get a masters degree, plan to use it (you won't use an aviation degree as a pilot). Otherwise it's just a waste of time. If you're doing it just because you can and want to, more power to you, but still, don't get it in aviation.

Thanks for the replies! The reason I wanted to pursue a masters in aviation is because I have several opportunities, in my area, to step into a management position. However, if I get a masters in industrial organizational (human resources) it will also qualify me for these positions. My thoughts about the aviation masters are premature and aren't completely thought out. After only a few opinions, I think I can honestly say I didn't want the aviation masters for nothing more than having an appealing resume for a potential employer (airline) to review. Having said that, a masters will be more appealing to any employer than a bachelors alone, no matter what it is in.

I've recently graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology (I/O). I obviously want to fly for a living, seeing as how I am entangled through the countless threads on this site. However, I'm considering a masters degree in Aviation Science or Av. management. If I were to pursue this degree, will having it on my resume make me any more appealing to the airlines than the guy with only a BS/BA? I'm the type of person who loves to be the best at what I do, and I've proven that locally. The masters degree will be a great addition to my resume in general, but will it positively effect my chances of becoming a professional pilot? In addition, the Masters will also allow me to have more opportunity in the civilian world having the ability to work in the aviation industry, if my desire to be a pilot is relinquished. What are your thoughts??

If flying airplanes for a living is what you want to do, and what you plan to pursue, then don't bother with a master's degree. Yes, it would make your resume stand out a little bit, but there are easier and less expensive ways to do that. When the time comes, you can probably buy a 737 type rating class for about a third of what you'd spend on a master's degree, and get hired at Southwest.

Now, if your goal is something beyond pilot which is, in essence, an entry level position, then that master's degree becomes more worthwhile. If you want to be a Chief Pilot, Director of Training or VP of Operations, then consider that Master's.

Back