"You Tube" vs "Auto Land"

Yank&BankmyRJ145

Well I Fly the EMB-145, we do not have Auto-Land, but I have seen people use the Auto-Land "Feature".

For a Flap 22' landing only, Fly the plane @160 knots till 100 ft. Then pull the power to Idle & trim the airplane for a total of 5 seconds. Here comes the hard part.... Let Go of the controls!!:drool:

While I have never brought myself to pull my career/LIFE on the line, I have seen many people do this.

So which one is worse??:confused:

My vote is the Auto-Land

Well I Fly the EMB-145, we do not have Auto-Land, but I have seen people use the Auto-Land "Feature".

For a Flap 22' landing only, Fly the plane @160 knots till 100 ft. Then pull the power to Idle & trim the airplane for a total of 5 seconds. Here comes the hard part.... Let Go of the controls!!:drool:

While I have never brought myself to pull my career/LIFE on the line, I have seen many people do this.

My vote is the Auto-Land

...what does anything you said, have to do with youtube? :confused:

...what does anything you said, have to do with youtube? :confused:

The other thread talking about pilot vids on You Tube. And the FAA investigating the pilots. I'm big on Safety and Procedures. I felt very uncomfortable when these pilots landed in this manner.

The winds have to be calm or right down the runway. Most landings are smooth, others I did a very detailed postflight check.

Now I will say on my CFI single add-on the Examiner wanted me to fly with no hands. I had to take the controls a few times, but over all you can control a lot with only rudders and power. How many stalls can you do in one min, with no hands? Thats FUN

My vote is the Auto-Land
Seriously, if that kind of stuff is happening in the front of the "regionals", then that is just sad. I don't even know where to begin on this...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

What airline is this again, so I make sure I never have family fly on your airline? I know, now you don't want to say...I'm sure the information is out there. I'll find it...

My vote is the Auto-Land

This is the reason I want to get out of aviation... :panic::banghead:

Huh? Is this a real post? Sounds like flame bait. Looking at your posts, it's easy to see what regional I'll be avoiding in the future.

While I don't fly the JungleJet and have never seen somebody try doing that in the ArcticJet, I 100% believe that people do it. There are a whole lot of REALLY, REALLY stupid people that fly for a living.

So, that said (not that I would EVER film a video while landing), I think the autoland attempt is way, way, WAY worse then putting a video up on youtube. Unless of course it's a video of somebody autolanding an ERJ.

I have a very good friend who use to fly for a prop regional and I remember the day he told me he did a no-hands landing, so I agree it does happen. Stupid to be sure, and I don't like this guy cause he's the sharpest tool in the shed, but none the less, lots of stupid people do stupid things in positions of great importance. It's stuff like this that if reveled to the public would bring lower wages, and computer flown airplanes.

My vote is the Auto-Land

This is ridiculously unsafe. It's unsafe that somebody is doing it, and unsafe that you're letting it happen unreported.

If your company has a union, report it to the Pro Standards division.

My vote is the Auto-Land

This kind of crap happens all the time (not this specifically, but equally stupid incidents). Anyone who thinks otherwise has their head in the sand. That there aren't more airline crashes is a combination of luck and airplanes that are much more forgiving than people think.

and airplanes that are much more forgiving than people think.

I think this is why people are having a tough time transitioning to mainline airplanes (from what I've observed lately). The RJs must be very forgiving machines...because guys are having a rough time transitioning to the bigger jets.

I think this is why people are having a tough time transitioning to mainline airplanes (from what I've observed lately). The RJs must be very forgiving machines...because guys are having a rough time transitioning to the bigger jets.

Disagree completely. The 767/757 is by FAR the easiest airplane to fly out of all of the airliners I have flown (EMB-145, 737-200, 717, 757, 767). The biggest transition for most of us former RJ guys is going from full glass cockpits to mostly round-dial. The only thing that was actually easier is that you could really throw out the anchor in the RJ. However, it will kill far faster than a Boeing ever will.

If you are an ER guy then I think I know the reason for your observation. When I was on the ER I only got two landings a month if that. I always flew the plane very mechanically cause I never had a chance to really "wring her out". Not until I moved over to the Classic did I feel like I could finally fly the plane with my butt, if you know what I mean. Usually, for me anyway, I would start to feel comfortable after just a month or two. It took at least six in the ER.

Wow, truly scary stuff.

Remember guys, discipline, integrity and being responsible are traits that should never be left behind when we enter the flight deck. Young guys, it falls on you when you witness maverick behavior by the more senior guys to stop it cold. Professionalism will always serve you well.

Young guys, it falls on you when you witness maverick behavior by the more senior guys to stop it cold.

Hehe.

We had a situation here about a year ago where a very senior captain was flying the jet way outside the prescribed limits. 45+ degree banks at 50 feet. Climbing out at V2 + 10. Excessive pitch and roll. Anyhow, he's an ass anyways so most of the senior FOs tried to avoid flying with him, which left the junior guys to fend for themselves. Most had no clue that what they were seeing was not only against the company regs but also completely unsafe. It took a training department FO flying with the guy to even realize there was an issue.

Back