"You Tube" vs "Auto Land"

Obviously Mike, obviously.

I'm sure you're aware but some companies do purchase tickets on other companies in an effort to move needed crew members to an aircraft.

Interesting concept.
You threw me with use of the term "jumpseat".
Anyways it's sad but flying has gotten too safe for my generation, apparently some from my age group have to up the risk factor to justify the sun glasses.
I hate the possibility of the slight chance of being associated with these morons.

This is interesting considering one of the hot topics at the NJC roundtable and from the speech given by Al Haynes was the importance of sticking to Standard Operating Procedure.

Wow. I hope the flying public reads this particular thread and is outraged. When they do, just please know that 99.99% of working pilots do not represent this type of unprofessional behavior.

This reminds me of something that happened to me when I was working on getting my private. I had an instructor in his early 20's who attempted to land a 152 using only the rudder and trim tab in order to prove something to me. I'm having trouble remembering what exactly he was trying to prove but I remember it looking like we weren't going to make it and grabbing the yoke. Afterwards he couldn't stop laughing and saying "What's wrong? Don't trust me?"

Idiot.

Except the EMB 145 weighs about 35000 lbs more than the 152 and potentially had 50 paying passengers and a fellow crewmember in the back. This stunt was beyond sophomoric and 'Chuck Yeager' up front and his Captain both deserve to have their certificates pulled.

IMHO

This reminds me of something that happened to me when I was working on getting my private. I had an instructor in his early 20's who attempted to land a 152 using only the rudder and trim tab in order to prove something to me. I'm having trouble remembering what exactly he was trying to prove but I remember it looking like we weren't going to make it and grabbing the yoke. Afterwards he couldn't stop laughing and saying "What's wrong? Don't trust me?"

Idiot.

I know a few people who have done this, they say it's not a pretty landing but gets the job done.

Something to think about if both of the yokes break :)

Except the EMB 145 weighs about 35000 lbs more than the 152 and potentially had 50 paying passengers and a fellow crewmember in the back. This stunt was beyond sophomoric and 'Chuck Yeager' up front and his Captain both deserve to have their certificates pulled.

IMHO

I'd love to see them hit a gust or a burble or wake or ground inversion turbulence on a clear morning and ding a wing tip. That would be a fun conversation in the chief pilot's office.

True, but I don't think it's a very appropriate thing for an instructor who is 20 to do while with a 16 year old student just to prove a point.

Every single one of the folks I did a demo flight for landed the airplane.

Wanna guess how?

Having instructed in Cessna 172's and having flown the EMB-145, they are worlds apart. Landing a Cessna 172 with trim only isn't that big of a deal. Heck did you know you can turn the thing in flight by opening the doors?

It's a resilient little plane, and I miss it a lot.

Wanna guess how?

Having instructed in Cessna 172's and having flown the EMB-145, they are worlds apart. Landing a Cessna 172 with trim only isn't that big of a deal. Heck did you know you can turn the thing in flight by opening the doors?

It's a resilient little plane, and I miss it a lot.

When I was an active CFI I used to do some limited hands off flying during primary training during the approach...just to show the student how stable the airplane was...and that it just needed guidance...not a death grip. I think that is a very valuable demonstration.

However, I do a few BFRs every year...and none of these pilots maintain full backpressure during the landing rollout. When my Warrior's on the ground...the yoke is to my chest...even during taxi unless a strong quartering tailwind exists.

You've got a tailwheel endorsement don't you :)

Also, there are always bad habits that will transfer from one plane to the next. I can assure you that the first time I get back in a 172 I'm going to flare at 50', and after I do that and I'm finally on the ground I'm going to gently push the yoke forward and then yank it back right away so the nose doesn't hammer into the ground. Dunno if you had to do that on the 757/767, but in the EMB-145 if you don't "land twice" as it were, you'll about drive the nose wheel through the runway.

Wanna guess how?
Heck did you know you can turn the thing in flight by opening the doors?

Why yes!

note to self; make sure TAC and sectionals are all strapped in.... seeing 4 maps fly down over I88 at 8pm was pretty fun tho! haha, thank god it was all my CFI's stuff and not mine!

Teaching a student to land with a flight control issue, and landing transport cat aircraft with this so called "auto land" its two completly different things. I cant believe that there are pilots out there that are trying this stunt. :banghead::banghead::banghead: It would never have crossed my mind to land with 76 people behind me and not have positive control of the plane. I guess I'm stating the ovious, well at least for the 98% of the professional pilots out there.

question for the 145 drivers...

How much manual trim would be required to do this? I ask because in the event of a go-around and full throttle is applied the airplane will pitch up with all that trim, potentially creating a less than ideal situation.

Trim

How much manual trim would be required to do this? I ask because in the event of a go-around and full throttle is applied the airplane will pitch up with all that trim, potentially creating a less than ideal situation.

As it is there can be a situation where you stall the motor that runs the trim screw in the tail if you don't give it enough down trim after takeoff since it is trimmed for V2.

I don't think it would take much trim to get the plane to flare itself but you might run out. I think the highest I can recall seeing the trim after landing is 8 or 9 and it only goes up to 10. Takeoff range is 4-8.

I really need to stop reading these threads, or I'll never feel comfortable riding in the back of a replacement jet.

The Mad Dog will whip your butt and send you home... wait, shoot, that's right you flew the 717!

Flying the 717 is a cakewalk compared to the CRJ. The CRJ can get you killed in many ways. The 717 will pretty much always save your ass, no matter how much you've screwed up.

Yeah, it flew like a dump truck.

That's right, and I love it! :)

That's a good point. Also, when you transition to longer jets...extensive trimming in the flare is a set up for a tail strike. Have you ever seen the tail clearance during takeoff or landing on a heavy jet? It can be under 24 inches. Not alot of room for error. Mindless rotation on takeoff or landing has gotten a lot of pilots in trouble.

...and why you've always got to check the skidplates.

Improper trim settings, over rotation and trying to takeoff or land under ref speed is a ticket to the CPO! :)

BTW, good seeing you a couple of days ago.

Back