"You Tube" vs "Auto Land"

...and why you've always got to check the skidplates.

Improper trim settings, over rotation and trying to takeoff or land under ref speed is a ticket to the CPO! :)

BTW, good seeing you a couple of days ago.

"You looked Marvelous". :)

When are we gonna fly together?

One of these days, bro!

Last time was like July 1997 I think!

Off for a six-day FRA today.

I'm finally on the ground I'm going to gently push the yoke forward and then yank it back right away so the nose doesn't hammer into the ground. Dunno if you had to do that on the 757/767, but in the EMB-145 if you don't "land twice" as it were, you'll about drive the nose wheel through the runway.

Do that on a 75/76 and you'll have a tail strike.

You all need to realize that our RJ is a strange bird when it comes to aerodynamics, as compared to most Boeing and McDonnell Douglas types. The EMB-145 does not have any leading edge devices, and it has a cranked wing. The chord AOA at the wing hub is 4 degrees, whereas at the wing tip it is -1 degrees. In a Boeing, when you are flying at 200 knots on approach with flaps 5, you'll have about 5-6 degrees nose up attitude. When we are at 200 knots and flaps 9 in the EMB-145, we might have 1 degree nose up attitude.

Just to back up what JTrain was saying, in the EMB-145 at landing, when the tail "stops flying" you need to snatch the yoke back into your lap and gently let it fall to the ground. If you leave the yoke in the neutral position, the nosewheel will slam on the ground (so hard it can cause damage). It is just the way the aircraft is designed. It has nothing to do with the flying skill or professionalism of regional pilots. It's just an aerodynamic anomoly.

I am getting so tired and frustrated with these threads that rehash all the stories of the foolish things we've seen regional pilots do in our career. It just gives those of us who approach this job as professionals a bad name.

Just to back up what JTrain was saying, in the EMB-145 at landing, when the tail "stops flying" you need to snatch the yoke back into your lap and gently let it fall to the ground. If you leave the yoke in the neutral position, the nosewheel will slam on the ground (so hard it can cause damage). It is just the way the aircraft is designed. It has nothing to do with the flying skill or professionalism of regional pilots. It's just an aerodynamic anomoly.

I am getting so tired and frustrated with these threads that rehash all the stories of the foolish things we've seen regional pilots do in our career. It just gives those of us who approach this job as professionals a bad name.

Ill second everything said. Also if you trim up to 8 or 9 after the mains hit it makes the nose drop much less drastic. I usually don't do it and just muscle the nose off but there are a few captains that swear by it.

Also I agree that there are a handful of regional pilots that everyone could really do without but I have heard some stories from retired mainline captains that would blow your minds. I have yet to fly with a captain that blatantly did something unsafe like this. Now with that said, if I did the pro standards committee would be notified and I would ask to be taken off the trip. Both of these morons need to have their certs pulled.

I'm with Matt, this thread is utterly depressing to me and I feel it does nothing but let the few ruin it for all of us out there trying to do things the right way. I certainly don't deny there are some real idiots in all areas of aviation but I've never heard of someone letting the EMB "land itself." I just can't see it. No FO has ever even mentioned it to me but maybe (or hopefully) I project that things like that won't be tolerated on the flight deck.

The problem we have at the regionals is not necessarily the lack of experience. It's far worse, it's that some pilots at our level lack the discipline and maturity to speak up when someone is crossing a line.

To the original poster: I so wish this had been a story about you speaking up and preventing the other pilot from doing something so stupid.

This thread sounds a lot like what people did while screwing around in a full motion sim turning into "guess what I saw lots of people do" once a couple of retards started trying to sound cool while telling the story.

I'd bet money the OP has never seen anyone do it.

Back