"You Tube" vs "Auto Land"

Great. . .more dip####s doing stuff to lump all of us regional pilots into some category of individuals who are cowboys and always fail to manage risks.

Whatever. . .it obviously needs to be reported to Pro-Standards, and honestly. . .as much as I love union bravado and saving people, this needs to be reported immediately to someone more than just a Chief Pilot.

Great. . .more dip####s doing stuff to lump all of us regional pilots into some category of individuals who are cowboys and always fail to manage risks.

Exactly. It sucks that a couple guys give the whole group a bad name - to the point where some guys in this thread try to avoid regional flights altogether!

I've never once flown with a Captain that performed anything less than professional, and I haven't heard about it from my friends and colleagues either.

I suppose I could say that I try to avoid mainline flights, because their pilots get drunk and try to fly airplanes.

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch, eh?

The Mad Dog will whip your butt and send you home... wait, shoot, that's right you flew the 717!

Curses!

It sucks that a couple guys give the whole group a bad name - to the point where some guys in this thread try to avoid regional flights altogether!

I suppose I could say that I try to avoid mainline flights, because their pilots get drunk and try to fly airplanes.

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch, eh?

It goes without saying that there are bad apples at all levels of aviation. Regional airlines do not have a monopoly on stupidity. All of us at every level need to be willing to step up and take a stand on unsafe and non-standard behavior. I would hope any one of my FOs would set me straight if I started doing stupid and unsafe things. I would probably throw them off the trip, but I would respect them for their courage...

The Mad Dog will whip your butt and send you home... wait, shoot, that's right you flew the 717!

Curses!

Yeah, it flew like a dump truck. But, when I first saw the -88's overhead panel I about had a stroke. At least they redid it on the 717.

I think this is why people are having a tough time transitioning to mainline airplanes (from what I've observed lately). The RJs must be very forgiving machines...because guys are having a rough time transitioning to the bigger jets.

Im hearing completely different. These days its the military guys that are struggling with the transition. Every time I hear of someone flunking out of a major ground school its a military guy that couldn't make it.

Im hearing completely different. These days its the military guys that are struggling with the transition. Every time I hear of someone flunking out of a major ground school its a military guy that couldn't make it.

I think it's a tough combination of being thrown into a heavy jet without much recency of experience.

For a Flap 22' landing only, Fly the plane @160 knots till 100 ft. Then pull the power to Idle & trim the airplane for a total of 5 seconds. Here comes the hard part.... Let Go of the controls!!:drool:

While I have never brought myself to pull my career/LIFE on the line, I have seen many people do this.

So which one is worse??:confused:

My vote is the Auto-Land

That is ########, I have been working for this same airline for damn near 4 years, and I have not yet see anyone come close to attempting something like this. Why would you even post this crap?

That is ########, I have been working for this same airline for damn near 4 years, and I have not yet see anyone come close to attempting something like this. Why would you even post this crap?

Because he thinks it cool to do stuff like this... I just keep hoping the post is a joke... :banghead:.

Because he thinks it cool to do stuff like this... I just keep hoping the post is a joke... :banghead:.

No.

Don't keep hoping the post is a joke.

By doing such we send the impression that such things are things that can be joked about. I strongly beg to differ, and as such. . .a certain amount of reticule (such as what has happened in this thread) is a healthy dose of reality that these types of things are not to be respected by anyone who considers themselves a profession.

An end must be put to these types of flying styles (at least in the 121/135 environment), and by making it crystal clear that some of us do not approve we can only hope that these types of mental screw ups will eventually filter out of the system.

An end must be put to these types of flying styles (at least in the 121/135 environment)

Hey! Don't leave out us Part 91 bizjet types. I don't want anyone trying that kind of thing with MY butt in the seat next to them either.

Hey! Don't leave out us Part 91 bizjet types. I don't want anyone trying that kind of thing with MY butt in the seat next to them either.

Of course Zap, didn't mean to leave you structured Part 91 guys out of that comment.

But you know, some Commercial SE/ME pilot who puts around on the weekends in his light twin or single engine piston is going to do stupid things - while flying Part 91. ;)

Thanks for including me. I think it is sometimes overlooked that there are part 91 operators whose departmental standards and procedures meet or exceed those of part 121. Our duty/rest time, for example, uses NASA fatigue models and far exceeds the requirements of part 121.

Back on topic -- I doubt this is based in reality. If it is, hopefully someone will eventually blow the whistle on it.

I've been with a couple of cowboy captains that let the aircraft autofly down to about 10 feet off the pavement before...but none that ever stayed hands off until actual touchdown..One interesting technical note to point out here, if using an ILS to "autoland" one should know that not all ILS's are set up to be that precise. It is also possible for an aircraft to start laterally tracking the glide slope right toward to the physical glide slope antenna when you get close enough to the runway causing you to be a significant bit off center line. Aircraft certified for true autoland compensate for this.

one should know that not all ILS's are set up to be that precise.

True. That's part of the reason for ILS hold short lines.

It is also possible for an aircraft to start laterally tracking the glide slope right toward to the physical glide slope antenna when you get close enough to the runway causing you to be a significant bit off center line. Aircraft certified for true autoland compensate for this.

Urh? The localizer antennae are at the departure end of the runway (usually aligned along the centerline), and the glideslope frequency is around 220 MHz higher than the localizer freq, so it should be different signals for G/S and LOC entirely.

I can't answer to the technical reason. and I can only speak for the AFCS system in the Dash 8, but I can tell you that the Dash will start tracking off centerline straight towards the glide slope antenna below 100 ft. It's done it every time. We have a few pilots that will leave on the A/P until is starts doing that despite our ops limitation of 200ft. But being a different signal does not necessarily negate that possibility that the auotpilot may get confused by a stronger signal. I've never asked about this because the answer would be "why are you letting the a/c stay on autopilot lower then you are supposed to".

Thought this might spark some new life into this thread:

NTSB IdentificationDFW08CA215
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121 Air Carrier operation of TRANS STATE AIRLINES (D.B.A. American Connection)
Aircraft EMBRAER EMB-145LR (N814HK)
Injuries 36 Uninjured.
Accident occurred Thursday, August 14, 2008 in St. Louis, MO
While en route to the destination airport, the first officer (FO) warns that his flaps 45 degrees landings are “a little extreme.” The FO continues by stating that the landings are “a little non-standard, but it’s way more fun.” The flight data recorder (FDR) showed an increased in the airplane’s pitch angle at approximately 34 feet above ground level. The landing flare continues to increase to approximately 13 degrees of pitch angle with a corresponding angle of attack of 17 degrees. The airplane’s stick shaker/stall warning system activates seconds prior to the airplane’s landings. During the landing sequence, the airplane’s tail sections contacted the runway.

Thought this might spark some new life into this thread:

NTSB IdentificationDFW08CA215
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121 Air Carrier operation of TRANS STATE AIRLINES (D.B.A. American Connection)
Aircraft EMBRAER EMB-145LR (N814HK)
Injuries 36 Uninjured.
Accident occurred Thursday, August 14, 2008 in St. Louis, MO
While en route to the destination airport, the first officer (FO) warns that his flaps 45 degrees landings are “a little extreme.” The FO continues by stating that the landings are “a little non-standard, but it’s way more fun.” The flight data recorder (FDR) showed an increased in the airplane’s pitch angle at approximately 34 feet above ground level. The landing flare continues to increase to approximately 13 degrees of pitch angle with a corresponding angle of attack of 17 degrees. The airplane’s stick shaker/stall warning system activates seconds prior to the airplane’s landings. During the landing sequence, the airplane’s tail sections contacted the runway.

Landed yesterday at JFK. Max crosswind limit. The RJ landing behind us...(good view as we taxied in)...landed very long (50% down runway)...had an extremely nose high attitude...looked like the tail struck...then they went around. Not sure what happened after that. I've never seen a nose up that high in the flare before.

Back