WN Hiring Soon

Yeah they have always started pretty low for a major carrier in my opinion. Definitely not as much as the big dogs.

Southwest's top-out is very comparable to the other majors. I think they do have a bit longer wait to make top of scale, 15 years vs. 10 years at some of the other majors. Also, I believe that after premiums are included, it's closer to $55K per year starting pay as an assistant. It isn't unique to WN to pay less during initial training...AA does the same thing, paying 79% of regular pay scale until you're signed off.

However, there is no set timeline for when you'll upgrade as an assistant at WN to being a regular dispatcher either. My understanding is that it can be anywhere from a few months to over a year, based on company needs and how well you are doing in training.

All this being said, if you get an offer there, and you're currently at a regional...I'd definitely take it.

Last edited:
Southwest's top-out is very comparable to the other majors. I think they do have a bit longer wait to make top of scale, 15 years vs. 10 years at some of the other majors. Also, I believe that after premiums are included, it's closer to $55K per year starting pay as an assistant. It isn't unique to WN to pay less during initial training...AA does the same thing, paying 79% of regular pay scale until you're signed off.

However, there is no set timeline for when you'll upgrade as an assistant at WN to being a regular dispatcher either. My understanding is that it can be anywhere from a few months to over a year, based on company needs and how well you are doing in training.

All this being said, if you get an offer there, and you're currently at a regional...I'd definitely take it.
And if you have a thing for "culture", which may be worth more than money.

There is also the other company perks. Everyone I talk to that works there has nothing truely bad to say about the company, like the relaxed dress code and the way everyone gets treated.

I believe the TA that they recently voted down, starting pay was being brought in line with the other majors with a top out going a little ahead of the other majors. Of course none of that matters since it got voted down.

The TA was voted down and most of the union board was voted out. It did bring the pay up but there were a lot of other issues that caused it to get voted down. If you have any specifics question feel free to reach out.

The TA was voted down and most of the union board was voted out. It did bring the pay up but there were a lot of other issues that caused it to get voted down. If you have any specifics question feel free to reach out.
Definitely disappointing but the company is a dream of mine to work for so still going for it. Best of luck to all

Did the "ATC/FAR" question make sense to anyone else? Like you just had to pick between the numbers 1, 2, and 4? Totally just picked a random number if I'm being honest.

Did the "ATC/FAR" question make sense to anyone else? Like you just had to pick between the numbers 1, 2, and 4? Totally just picked a random number if I'm being honest.
I interpreted it as being asked how many years do you have in in ATC and/or applying FARs but who knows.

Sounds like the Assistant Dispatch job posting has been removed to correct an issue. If you’ve already applied the People Department should be reaching out with what they need to do next.

The Assistant Dispatch job posting should hopefully be back up early next week.

WE ARE STILL GREAT.

We are not without our issues and people complain here like everywhere else. Fortunately, most of those issues are comparatively trivial. We have a great work culture. Some say the company has changed, and that it's not the airline that Herb built. That's probably true. We have become very large and hired a ton over the last few months post-recovery. I can't imagine that not affecting things anywhere. But I think we have done a good job of holding onto the core identity that makes people want to fly us and want to work for us.

Yes, we lag behind in pay. We are 3 years into negotiations with 1 failed TA working under a contract that was signed many years ago and then extended. I am hopeful that will change. This work group has made it very clear that just being industry average will not suffice this round. We have assuredly lost out on many good candidates because of this. We have also seen several junior people leave for places like Delta. Most had ties to the area and wanted to get back, but they left none the less. I can't help but think things might have been different if we could have competed with the other CBA's out there. Yes, our Assistant Dispatcher pay sucks. This inflated economy has put a spotlight on what was already a problem to begin with. Having said that, I think 50-55k is livable in DFW for 6 months or so. In my opinion it's a small price to pay for what will otherwise be a great career here for the next 20-30 years, or however long you plan to spend with us. Once you upgrade there are many opportunities to increase your income. There are people who push 1000 hours of OT or more per year, people who Flight Follow almost every shift, or people who pick up for cash. It has been my experience that how much you make is only restricted by how much time you are willing to spend in the blue room. There are also many who feel their days off are invaluable and maintain a zero OT balance. Reserve life can suck some months and be great others. It has lots of room for improvement. Having said that, our ""reserve" system is more like vacation relief. You will know your schedule 90 days out and it will rarely if ever change, allowing you to have a life outside of work. Even so, being a line holder is much better.

The majority of the office are team players and step up take care of our customers when its needed. The NOC culture is laid back, and our dress code even more so. I have seen everything from a tie to flip-flops down to yoga pants on the midnighters.

The company. I have always trusted them to do what is right by the employees. In most cases this has not led to disappointment. That does not mean working here is without frustration. I have been frustrated with contract talks, or lack there of. And at times, I have been frustrated with corporate policy and changes to some perks/benefits over the years. But I also know that we have it better than most. And there's a lot to be said about a company working to make sure we all stayed employed during the economic beating our industry saw during the last couple of years.

At the end of the day, I am treated like a professional, not micromanaged, respected by my co-workers and generally enjoy the people I work with. I definitely think there is room for improvement, but I also think this is one of the best jobs in aviation at one of the greatest companies in the industry. If I had to do it all over again, I would still come here. This is one person's view. Your mileage may vary. Hope this helps. Good luck.

TL;DR If you are thinking about coming here. Come. You won't regret it

WE ARE STILL GREAT.

We are not without our issues and people complain here like everywhere else. Fortunately, most of those issues are comparatively trivial. We have a great work culture. Some say the company has changed, and that it's not the airline that Herb built. That's probably true. We have become very large and hired a ton over the last few months post-recovery. I can't imagine that not affecting things anywhere. But I think we have done a good job of holding onto the core identity that makes people want to fly us and want to work for us.

Honestly, this is refreshing. A perspective that doesn't sound like the usual WN happy place tidbits that nearly come off like marketing/propaganda. It's unfortunate for the lost talent, but I hope you guys iron out your contract. It will be a benefit to all.

WE ARE STILL GREAT.

Yes, we lag behind in pay. We are 3 years into negotiations with 1 failed TA working under a contract that was signed many years ago and then extended. I am hopeful that will change. This work group has made it very clear that just being industry average will not suffice this round. We have assuredly lost out on many good candidates because of this. We have also seen several junior people leave for places like Delta. Most had ties to the area and wanted to get back, but they left none the less. I can't help but think things might have been different if we could have competed with the other CBA's out there. Yes, our Assistant Dispatcher pay sucks. This inflated economy has put a spotlight on what was already a problem to begin with. Having said that, I think 50-55k is livable in DFW for 6 months or so. In my opinion it's a small price to pay for what will otherwise be a great career here for the next 20-30 years, or however long you plan to spend with us. Once you upgrade there are many opportunities to increase your income. There are people who push 1000 hours of OT or more per year, people who Flight Follow almost every shift, or people who pick up for cash. It has been my experience that how much you make is only restricted by how much time you are willing to spend in the blue room. There are also many who feel their days off are invaluable and maintain a zero OT balance. Reserve life can suck some months and be great others. It has lots of room for improvement. Having said that, our ""reserve" system is more like vacation relief. You will know your schedule 90 days out and it will rarely if ever change, allowing you to have a life outside of work. Even so, being a line holder is much better.

The majority of the office are team players and step up take care of our customers when its needed. The NOC culture is laid back, and our dress code even more so. I have seen everything from a tie to flip-flops down to yoga pants on the midnighters.

The company. I have always trusted them to do what is right by the employees. In most cases this has not led to disappointment. That does not mean working here is without frustration. I have been frustrated with contract talks, or lack there of. And at times, I have been frustrated with corporate policy and changes to some perks/benefits over the years. But I also know that we have it better than most. And there's a lot to be said about a company working to make sure we all stayed employed during the economic beating our industry saw during the last couple of years.

At the end of the day, I am treated like a professional, not micromanaged, respected by my co-workers and generally enjoy the people I work with. I definitely think there is room for improvement, but I also think this is one of the best jobs in aviation at one of the greatest companies in the industry. If I had to do it all over again, I would still come here. This is one person's view. Your mileage may vary. Hope this helps. Good luck.

For anyone who wants to work for swa over the big three, having someone from the staff itself speak up to this level of detail is HUGE. Thank you for sharing!

Running into some new issues when applying... it said "We've experienced some turbulence with processing your application. Please try clearing your cache/cookies and try again." Anyone else having this issue?

Back