WN Hiring Soon

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
Just saw this on LinkedIn:

Dispatchers get prepared!

On Feb. 14th at 3:00pm CST, the Assistant Dispatcher position will be posted internally and externally for Southwest Airlines!

What is required to be an Assistant Dispatcher?

FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certificate

1 year of airline operations or related work experience with a Part 135 or Part 121-air carrier under the Code of Federal Regulations

Must be able to work well with others as part of a Team, professionally interact with other departments

Good luck to all who apply!

Last edited:
The one year minimum is probably more for internal hires. But I think Southwest does like hiring dispatchers with some but not a ton of experience that they can then “mold” into their way of dispatching. Nothing wrong with that, although I hope experienced dispatchers don’t get overlooked. I’m not applying though so…it’s their show!

It's been confirmed by management. Class date in mid-July. Sounds like it'll likely be another class of 30.

Posting in mid-February for a class to start in mid-July?

Highly doubt its 1 year for min qualifications but with covid who knows.

When I read as it was posted in the OP, I interpret that to mean airline experience (not dispatch experience). From a google search, a previous posting has that 1 year of airline ops experience as required and 2-3 years of FAR 121 dispatch experience as preferred.

Posting in mid-February for a class to start in mid-July?

If it's for 30 people, it probably will take a while to do that many pre-screen interviews, testing, interviews, background checks, etc. Let's say, conservatively, they interview 5 people for every person selected for the class...that's 150 in person interviews. Also, they will get tons of applicants, being one of the big majors, so they'll have a lot of applicants to sift through before they even get to the interview stage. And normally they give people hired a few weeks so that they can give notice at their current employer and move to the DAL area.

Internals based on date of hire. Externals based off of date of birth (oldest to youngest).

Stiiiilllllll going.....

Posting is live.

still going.jpg

What is the minimum level of dispatch experience you've seen in candidates hired at WN? I know someone said they have been known to like hiring some dispatchers with a lower level of 121 experience. That way they can influence their style of dispatching and how they are trained early on in their careers, thus avoiding habits from prior experience. I'm not at all saying they don't like people with tons of experience, I'm more trying to say they seem more willing to work with less experienced dispatchers than other major carriers are typically willing to. Correct me if I'm wrong.

HungerGamesOddsFavor.midi

Do people still know what midi files are? Or .wav files?

I don't know how to meme.

Good luck, all.

Back